Laptop/Desktop/IPAD/Kindle/Nook...oh my...

2disneyboys

DIS Veteran
options options...

My DS#1 (11) is a very active reader.. if he's not in school, doing his sports, or on his bike hanging w/ friends, he has his nose stuck into a book.. he loves to read (and I love that he loves to read) DH & I were talking about what to get him for Christmas... he is getting to the point that he is having to use my laptop (our only home computer) more and more for school research...(thus the thought of a desktop or laptop) With how much he loves to read (and this is not new.. ever since he learned to read he just gobbles up the books) we have also talked about a nook or kindle type device... then there is the IPAD which is sort of a combo between the two (in that it can be used for research, work and as an e-reader)

The cost factor is nonexistant... we both come from huge familes and they all give to our kids (as we give to their kids) so dh & my 'tradition' has always been to give our kids 1 big item from us/santa and then we make a several hundred dollar deposit to thier bank account. Between the really nice item we get them and the tons of gifts they get from family & friends, they really don't "want" for anything... so if we go this route, we'd just put the $ into the gift rather than splitting it between the gift and the bank account.

my son is very responsible with items (I'm just as likly to damage or lose it as he would be! no, seriously!) so I'm not concerned with that as a problem. And I'm assuming in any of the options there are security features I can set up to ensure he has only the approved exposures and access's..

with that said, what would you choose if you were in my shoes? and why or why not for some of these options?

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

An iPad or any other tablet isn't much more than a cute toy. It's fun for Angry Birds, checking email, watching a movie, or reading an ebook. It is not and was never designed to be a replacement for a real computer.

He's going to need to be writing papers soon, and he'll want a real keyboard, the ability to have websites open and his word processor at the same time, etc. It will be more useful for him in the long term. So I would say get him a real computer and a coupon good for weekly rides to your local library. :thumbsup2 Or if you want, suggest to relatives that he'd like Amazon cards to save up for a Kindle or equivalent somewhere else and do the best of both worlds.

As for desktop vs. laptop, you have a few options. He's nowhere near college so you don't care about the portability factor as much. But do you want him to have a desktop out where you can monitor him when he's using it? He's likely careful with the laptop you guys already have so that's not a biggie. A desktop will be cheaper. You can get a very high-end desktop for less than a comparable laptop. But if you don't have the desk space for it or it would be nice for him to move around, like work at the kitchen table, surf in the family room while you watch TV, etc. you might want a laptop.

An iPad or any other tablet isn't much more than a cute toy. It's fun for Angry Birds, checking email, watching a movie, or reading an ebook. It is not and was never designed to be a replacement for a real computer.

He's going to need to be writing papers soon, and he'll want a real keyboard, the ability to have websites open and his word processor at the same time, etc. It will be more useful for him in the long term. So I would say get him a real computer and a coupon good for weekly rides to your local library. :thumbsup2 Or if you want, suggest to relatives that he'd like Amazon cards to save up for a Kindle or equivalent somewhere else and do the best of both worlds.

As for desktop vs. laptop, you have a few options. He's nowhere near college so you don't care about the portability factor as much. But do you want him to have a desktop out where you can monitor him when he's using it? He's likely careful with the laptop you guys already have so that's not a biggie. A desktop will be cheaper. You can get a very high-end desktop for less than a comparable laptop. But if you don't have the desk space for it or it would be nice for him to move around, like work at the kitchen table, surf in the family room while you watch TV, etc. you might want a laptop.

Very Very good points... Thanks for the input.. particularly about the bolded...We already have the rule that my laptop has to be used in the Den or Kitchen.. and there is a perfect little area in the den that would work nicely for a desktop. .... Thanks so much!

Don't let getting a desktop preclude you from getting him an e-reader. The computer will be perfect for school and research... but an e-reader will open up a whole new world of reading for him... away from that perfect little area in the den!

Very Very good points... Thanks for the input.. particularly about the bolded...We already have the rule that my laptop has to be used in the Den or Kitchen.. and there is a perfect little area in the den that would work nicely for a desktop. .... Thanks so much!

An iPad or any other tablet isn't much more than a cute toy.
20.creation.jpg

I agree with the PP about getting him a computer. We have four children and by middle school age they all really needed a computer for homework and projects. We started with desktops so we could monitor what they were doing. By the time they hit their junior year in high school we starting getting them laptops so they could take them to college.

I'm an avid reader and have an e-reader and love it! I have an older model of the Sony pocket edition. Sometime in October Sony is coming out with a new reader that sounds very interesting. From what I've heard it will be Android based. If that's true I'm seriously thinking of upgrading! It would make a really great birthday gift.

I vote for a computer and an e-reader! :) I think I'd get him a laptop and just explain that he uses it in certain areas of the house. I think Desktops are going to be obsolete soon!

I have a Kindle and my sister has a Nook. I like the Nook much better. It is color and you can use it in the dark without a booklight. It also has a touchscreen. I do use my Kindle all the time and you can get on line with it (although it is slow and difficult). If it's for reading I would get him a Nook. That said, my 14 year old just built a desktop and it was a great learning experience for him (and me)!

Just my 2cents, although ereaders are nice (I have a Kindle myself) , I agree that nothing beats the Library, especially for kids, and it's free!

Honestly my first inclination would be to get him a desktop computer and a Kindle with any leftover money. Reading on a computer is really bad for your eyes, so even with a laptop that's not really an option. But if you're really wanting him to get into reading - a Kindle or Nook all the way. If you're wanting him to get a computer then I'd say a desktop since that's more bang for your buck as he can use it for school and games. Laptops are great for moving around, but honestly they "move around" way too much on their own and though your son is careful all of his friends may not be!

We are a tech family and have some of each of these items, but the Nook gets used all the time and he can "check out books" from the library on it to keep the cost of purchasing books down. He can also trade books (for 2 weeks at a time) with others who have e-readers. Also, a laptop or desktop can be purchased very inexpensively if you watch for sales on black friday.

Good Points everyone ... food for thought! I love getting other opinions as it makes you think of things you had not considered before... Thanks again!!!

I agree with several other posters... while it's certainly not a necessity, it's sure nice for kids to have their own computer, whether a desktop or a laptap, once they hit middle school age. Sounds like it would be a good choice for your son too.

Although if money really isn't consideration, I think an e-reader would also be a good choice.

I was an e-reader holdout for the longest time, just didn't think I'd like them. Then DH bought me a kindle to take on vacation. I absolutely love it!

In fact, I admit I just bought 2 kindle edition books, even though hard copies of both books are sitting on my bookshelf upstairs. That's how much I now prefer an e-reader.

Good luck with your decision, keep us updated on what you decide.

As a high school TV Production teacher, I live in the world of technology and teenagers (yes, that can be a scary place!). We recently purchased some iPads for my program to work as remote tele-prompters, and I have changed my opinion of them.

Think of the iPad (or any of the devices you are considering) as the delivery tool. The real magic lies in what they can deliver (the software, apps, etc). I recommend to all my students (and parents) to research the Apps, software, and accessories available for any technology they are considering. That way, you can better decide which one fits your needs.

In other words, research the iPad Apps and accessories rather than the iPad itself. Search for "top ten apps" or "apps for students", "iPad accessories" and the like.

I used to see the iPad as a giant iTouch and thought that it would only be good for games etc. But, I've seen that it can do so much more. I can't imagine not having mine now. There are fabulous student / study / organization Apps that have been invaluable to the kids. Plus, they can be used as e-readers. I haven't picked up my kindle since I got my own iPad (and I loved my kindle).

I use mine for lesson planning, projects, reading, researching, and even note-taking (using Noteshelf with a stylus). I never would have imagined the ways in which I would use it! It works with my wireless keyboard for typing, and with Pages (and other office-type) apps, it functions as a mobile computer. iDisk allows cloud storage, and the new iOS 5 which is coming out later this year will allow just about everything to be stored "on the cloud", so storage is not as much of an issue. (By the way, Evernote is great for organizing school research and has a really cool study tool that allows you to "flip" through quiz questions using the smart cover.)

We recently redecorated our family room and I organized the entire project on my iPad. I could take pics of the spaces and record all the dimensions, shopping needs, budget, etc on the Noteshelf app.

Anyway...that is my two cents (for what it is worth). After checking it out, the iPad may or may not end up being the right device for your son. But, I hope this info helps your decision making process!

An iPad or any other tablet isn't much more than a cute toy.
20.creation.jpg
This is not really accurate. The ipad is much more than a toy. I am able to do word processing, print from the ipad etc. There are even keyboards you can get for it.

I think for the OPs son, though, maybe a Nook Color or the Amazon tablet that will be coming out soon would be fine, and isnt quite as expensive.

This is not really accurate. The ipad is much more than a toy. I am able to do word processing, print from the ipad etc. There are even keyboards you can get for it.

I think for the OPs son, though, maybe a Nook Color or the Amazon tablet that will be coming out soon would be fine, and isnt quite as expensive.

Rumor has it the Amazon tablet will likely be priced approx $250 and the plan is to include a free subscription to Amazon prime w/purchase. I know I'll be watching to see if that pans out. :thumbsup2

As a high school TV Production teacher, I live in the world of technology and teenagers (yes, that can be a scary place!). We recently purchased some iPads for my program to work as remote tele-prompters, and I have changed my opinion of them. [snip]

We noticed that a CM at the new Paradise Gardens dining area in DCA was using an iPad to access the off-stage sound board for the live musicians. It really is amazing what you can do with an iPad! I even saw an app that has piano sheet music which turns the pages for you as you play.

Yes, an iPad is way more than a toy. -- Suzanne

We noticed that a CM at the new Paradise Gardens dining area in DCA was using an iPad to access the off-stage sound board for the live musicians. It really is amazing what you can do with an iPad! I even saw an app that has piano sheet music which turns the pages for you as you play.

Yes, an iPad is way more than a toy. -- Suzanne

A musician friend loves the app that turns the pages!

Some of my students who run tech at the local arts center actually assisted Disney techs with the production of some scenes for a Jennifer Garner movie that was being shot here back in March. They said that the charter bus arrived with 50+ production techs to finalize the location survey and that from the time the techs stepped off the bus they were all on their iPads the entire time working.

I'm leaving Saturday morning for WDW with 11 kids for some of the Disney YES classes and I have planned most of the trip on my iPad. I can have all schedules, forms, contact info, scanned copies of tickets etc right at hand. Plus, I am using an App to build scavenger hunts based on Disney Production elements (since we do study TV/Film and no one does production better than Disney). The kids will use iPhones and iPads with the scavenger hunt app to locate various places around the parks that are significant production accomplishments. They will learn about the location and take a picture to prove they found it. So much more engaging than sitting in a classroom and just listening to lectures, and so much more fun for me too!

an Ipad is definitely way more than a toy and I believe that there is the ability to add a keypad to it.

BUT, for the price of a good ipad (@$725) you could get a decent laptop AND an e-reader for him for Christmas.

For reading books I really, really wouldn't recommend an iPad or a Laptop. It's very hard to read books continually on the back lit surface, plus it can't be taken outside (or used in the car, etc.) or anywhere there's bright daylight.

I will also add that I bought my middle DS a Nook when he was 10 and he LOVES it. He was a kid who doesn't really love to read but having made reading technological it made it fun. Plus I love having the ability to buy him books for research projects and book reports and download them to the Nook at night and not having to wait to the next afternoon to get him started on his project. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter