lanyard question

ReneaB

Earning My Ears
We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. :yay: Will I be able to buy the lanyards that hold our cruise card (cannot remember what you call it..the card that opens your door and you charge things with). Is there a place I should order them ahead of time? I would rather have everything bought ahead of time if I can.
Thanks for your help!
:)

The first opportunity you get to buy them is in the small shop in the terminal building. I hear they're cheaper if you wait until you are onboard, but I didn't price it to make sure, but I saw a larger variety onboard, where the one in the terminal is plain blue with the DCL symbol on it.

The cheapest ones are at Wal-mart. And yes, there is a better variety on the ship. The shops on the ship won't open until the ship is at sea on the first night--shops can't be open while the ship is in port.

The lanyards had x2 different prices onboard a blue one that was $6.50 and another thicker quality that was $8.50.
Bought the blue one i'll try to post pictures.

Yes, you can buy the lanyards both at the terminal and on the ship. You won't pay taxes on the ship, but you have to wait until the ship sails to buy anything. Also, you have to separately by the plastic pouch that will hold your KTTW card.

We picked up some of the waterproof lanyards last time. It came in handy to carry money, ID, and KTTW cards when we went on excursions last time.

Yes, you can buy the lanyards both at the terminal and on the ship. You won't pay taxes on the ship, but you have to wait until the ship sails to buy anything. Also, you have to separately by the plastic pouch that will hold your KTTW card.

The pouch was included on both versions of the ID lanyard they were selling in the shops onboard when we sailed in December. (The ones described above that cost $6 or $8 and change) I didn't check to see what was offered in the terminal though.

They also sell a lanyard chain in Mickey's Mates that looks more like a necklace, but it was pricey at $20+ dollars, and you did have to buy the pouch seperately for that one. I didn't see anyone wearing one of those, but I thought it was cute. It was on the rounder with all the pins.

We brought along the thinner rope type lanyards that came with the dream fastpasses we won in the parks. I prefer those to the thicker ribbon type lanyards they sell onboard.

If you don't need lanyards with DCL logos I'm sure you can find something before you go and save the extra money you would have spent buying them onboard for something fun.

Check these out...this is where we originally got ours, the guy is great and ships immediately. I have gotten a lot of the pouches from him and they hold up well. He also has the flat lanyards (easier for pin trading) and you can just ask him how much they would be. But for $1.50 you can't beat these either! ...and no, I am not the seller! :lmao: but I have bought from him several times!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cruise-ID-Lanya...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Before Christmas I found the thick Disney laynards at 5 below for about $2.50

The cheapest ones are at Wal-mart. And yes, there is a better variety on the ship. The shops on the ship won't open until the ship is at sea on the first night--shops can't be open while the ship is in port.

I wondered where at Wal mart you would find them?

Check these out...this is where we originally got ours, the guy is great and ships immediately. I have gotten a lot of the pouches from him and they hold up well. He also has the flat lanyards (easier for pin trading) and you can just ask him how much they would be. But for $1.50 you can't beat these either! ...and no, I am not the seller! :lmao: but I have bought from him several times!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cruise-ID-Lanya...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Thanks for that link. I don't need anything special, so I bought two from there.

I saw some at Dollar General, or was it Family Dollar? I think it was Family Dollar. They had some Disney, Sponge Bob and Spiderman lanyards.

You can usually find them at office supply stores (Office Max or Office Depot).

I bought the plastic "dry box" onboard for $4.95 and was able to carry money, KTTW card and credit card without anything getting wet. Ended up using that for the entire trip. Worked great!

If you want the ones from Wal-Mart (about $1 or so) go back into the fishing section and ask them for the fishing license holder on a lanyard. They usually have them, unless it's towards the end of the season.

We got free ones in our room when we arrived but we used our DVC points on the trip.

Thanks for all the tips!! I knew you guys would have all the answers!!
I did not even think of making sure they are waterproof. That is a great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter