• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

language or a food thats distinctive to your area

Mostly egg, so Egg Custard here. Maybe it's just what they called it on the farm, a lot of people here who grew up on farms call it egg custard as well. Probably just a regional thing.
Yeah, likely regional, you can't have custard without egg.
My mom grew up on a farm, and I think once in a while she may have called it egg custard.

Where "stocking caps" are toques

DH and I have had plenty of arguments about this, here in NZ they are called beanies but of course the kids spends more time with me (being a SAHM) so they call them toques, I call them housecoats he calls them dressing gowns, I call them comforters he calls them duvets etc.

I no longer live there... but if you think a horseshoe is food, it is pretty indicative of where you live. :rotfl:

may-09-120-300x225.jpg

Good guess. A maple longjohn is a stick-shaped doughnut with maple glaze. A double-double is practically the national beverage of Canada (sorry Molson's :() and it is a coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar.

I knew this one... but in this neck of the woods, going to Canada is sometimes as easy as crossing the street! We have Timmy Ho's in Maine now- LOVE the maple! However, I liked both Timmy's and Dunk's doughnuts better when they were fried in-house... and I've always thought of a cruller as the popover of the doughnut world. LOVE THEM, but the Boston Cremes or Maple Longjohns are my favorites!

I'm originally from MA, so I say bubbler and soda... although originally we called soda "tonic." We call the shoes sneakers or by their trade name, as in "Are you going to wear your Nike's?" Don't get me started on mis-pronounced town names, including my hometown of Peabody (pronounced PEE-buh-dee)!

Local Maine foods... Lobster rolls (made in the hotdog roll that's split on the TOP, buttered on the sides and then grilled- YUM), clam chowder (WHITE, not red!), corn chowder, brown bread, steamers. Baked beans without tomato in them.

DH and I have had plenty of arguments about this, here in NZ they are called beanies but of course the kids spends more time with me (being a SAHM) so they call them toques, I call them housecoats he calls them dressing gowns, I call them comforters he calls them duvets etc.
TOTALLY!! Are you originally from Canada? Unless it has a plastic propeller on top, it's not a beanie. :lmao:And your DH sounds like a really nice guy, just terribly misguided. Where does he stand on the whole sofa v.s. couch issue? What about the great lounger v.s. sun bed controversy?

I haven't read all the posts, so these may have already been mentioned.

French fries on salads (and sandwiches). Also pierogies. Tons and tons and tons of pierogies. I know they aren't exclusive to the Pittsburgh area, but Pittsburghers eat 11x more pierogies annually than the national average LOL.

My favorite Pitsburghese word has to be "nebby" (nosey).

I haven't read all the posts, so these may have already been mentioned.

French fries on salads (and sandwiches). Also pierogies. Tons and tons and tons of pierogies. I know they aren't exclusive to the Pittsburgh area, but Pittsburghers eat 11x more pierogies annually than the national average LOL.

My favorite Pitsburghese word has to be "nebby" (nosey).
I live on Long Island now, but nebby and red-up(tidy or clean up) are still ones I use from home. I've grudgingly adapted to using soda vs. pop and sneakers instead of tennis shoes or tennies. And here you stand ON line at a store not IN line. Don't like that one either. :goodvibes

I live on Long Island now, but nebby and red-up(tidy or clean up) are still ones I use from home. I've grudgingly adapted to using soda vs. pop and sneakers instead of tennis shoes or tennies. And here you stand ON line at a store not IN line. Don't like that one either. :goodvibes
It's funny, lived in NE NJ my entire life, and it wasn't until the internet that I realized other people get IN line, instead of ON line. ON makes sense, because you are getting ON the end of the line. Getting IN line would be cutting!

DF is from Louisiana and puts Potato Salad in his gumbo... I thought he was the only one and that he was full of crap when he said everyone did it. I was wrong, apparently it's pretty common. lol

Nope, not common - never ever heard of it.

Speaking of regional foods. South LA is where it's at!!
Haven't lived til you have spicy boiled crawfish, blue crabs, gumbo, etouffee, fried seafood, Tony's seasoning, pralines, beignets from Cafe du Monde in NOLA - Best food in the whole world!! :D Just ask any Cajun or anyone raised up around them!!

I knew this one... but in this neck of the woods, going to Canada is sometimes as easy as crossing the street! We have Timmy Ho's in Maine now- LOVE the maple! However, I liked both Timmy's and Dunk's doughnuts better when they were fried in-house... and I've always thought of a cruller as the popover of the doughnut world. LOVE THEM, but the Boston Cremes or Maple Longjohns are my favorites!

I'm originally from MA, so I say bubbler and soda... although originally we called soda "tonic." We call the shoes sneakers or by their trade name, as in "Are you going to wear your Nike's?" Don't get me started on mis-pronounced town names, including my hometown of Peabody (pronounced PEE-buh-dee)!

Local Maine foods... Lobster rolls (made in the hotdog roll that's split on the TOP, buttered on the sides and then grilled- YUM), clam chowder (WHITE, not red!), corn chowder, brown bread, steamers. Baked beans without tomato in them.

Love the "dunks". We were in Salem recently and asked where we could get a good cup of coffee. The person replies with 2 coffee houses and them said well there is always "dunks". It took us a minute to realize what they were saying

Here people shorten it to Dunkin or DD's.

Yes!
and bagels are only toasted the "day after" or after they are frozen.
A fresh bagel is eaten fresh.
That's where the Pittsburgher in me still comes out. I toast even a fresh bagel. :P
Buttered rolls are a local thing. I love them but having a buttered roll for breakfast was such a strange idea to me when I moved here! Rolls were made to accompany dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter