land line, internet, dish advice needed

Kali14

Mouseketeer
So I am considering cancelling my home phone, internet and cable tv. It is expensive and I am trying to figure out ways to cut our monthly bills as my husband has spending issues which makes it hard for finances in our home. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

So I am considering cancelling my home phone, internet and cable tv. It is expensive and I am trying to figure out ways to cut our monthly bills as my husband has spending issues which makes it hard for finances in our home. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

I think the first thing to do is have a serious talk with your husband about money. He needs to fix his spending issues if they are that much of a concern.

1st,you and your DH should agree that saving some $$$ is a good thing,then decide what you use,and what you can live without. (all this depends on how dire your finances are,if you are in serious trouble,ignore this and get help)
but for general savings, we found we didn't use our landline much,and switched to just cells. I have a great $30 per month pay as you go smartphone,DH has his from work,and we keep a cheap tracfone in the house for emergencies...(cost about 20 per year for that)
We do like our dishnetwork/dvr setup,and have a good deal,so we kept that for now.
we signed p for the lowest 'net service we could (dsl) at 25.00 per month- it's fine for our needs.
this works for us b/c we can add or drop things as we want to,and not locked into a bundle package or contract.

Family issues aside, I really would think twice about dropping the Internet. I agree that TV is not a necessity and that a land-line is redundant if you have a cell with good coverage, but not having Internet really puts you at a disadvantage. There is now the expectation by companies and others that you conduct business with (government, schools, etc.) that you have access to the Internet. Also, you may find it helpful to get your DD started on the Internet. There are some very good educational sites out there. She will be at a disadvantage when she begins school if she does not have any of the computer skills.

If I were you, I would drop the land-line and cable. Keep the Internet connection, and if you still desire the TV, look into NetFlix or a similar on-demand service. If you really need a land-line (i.e. cell doesn't get good coverage) you can look into getting a VoIP account, such as Vonage.

we keep a cheap tracfone in the house for emergencies...(cost about 20 per year for that)

That's a good idea!

We only have cell phones which are about $130 a month (darn data plan). We cancelled cable a few months ago and it's been great except DH misses baseball. He watches what he can online. We have Hulu and Netflix streaming thru our Wii to the TV. Our cable bill went down from $100 to about $16 (cost of the above two services). I agree that internet is necessary. I've been tempted to cancel because I don't work on the computer much at home, but something always happens that makes me glad I have it. Plus we need it for tv streaming anyway. We pay too much for internet but haven't taken the initiative to switch yet.

Hey look, I answered your question without offering unnecessary advice. :woohoo:

Not to sound snarky, but spending issues are a two-way street, where both husband and wife need to be on board.

And yes, I did take notice you are from Ohio and made 4 trips to WDW over the past 18 months, which can't be a cheap venture.

Just sayin'...

We chose to drop dtv at 40.00 a month and use tv antenna to pick up 16 channels. We subscribe to netflix at 17.00 a month. Unlimited streaming, 1 dvd out at a time. However, to get good phone and streaming quality we had to upgrade our dsl speed which went from 19.95 to 48.00 a month. At one time used at&t for landline, they were charging us 48.00 for local ONLY, no long distance. Now use ooma for phone service. Purchased a used unit from woot for 99.00, and ported our old number over for 40.00? if I remember correctly. Bill is now 3.77 a month, and that includes long distance. Computer does not need to be on to work, but if electricity goes down, no phone service. Also needs the faster dsl speeds otherwise voice quality is really bad. At least we found it to be true in our case. Have prepaid cell service from page plus cellular which piggy backs off verizon for 12.00 a month for 240 minutes. That's all I need for my personal circumstances. Bills went from about 120.00 a month to 81.00 a month. This is before factoring in initial start up with ooma and dsl installation. Had to do a "dry loop" or what is called stand alone dsl since we dropped our landline with at&t. I think at&t charged us 36.00 to do that. At&t also has a policy where they charge you 10.00 extra dollars for overusage? Don't remember exactly how much usage you're allowed each month, because we've never come close to it. The savings aren't much, but every bit helps for our household.

Not to sound snarky, but spending issues are a two-way street, where both husband and wife need to be on board.

And yes, I did take notice you are from Ohio and made 4 trips to WDW over the past 18 months, which can't be a cheap venture.

Just sayin'...

FTR, I'm glad to see someone point this kind of thing out.

I found it a bit suspicious to begin with that this is a post from someone who posts very infrequently. And, it was a very very short post, yet still found the words to include a detail (husband's alleged spending issues) that really isn't part of the question. I smell a rat, of one form or another.

You people are so snarky and ridiculous - she is not posting crying for help- just asking for suggestions - who cares what vacations she has been on or plans on going on!!! They are not destitute. God the people on this board drive me friggen insane sometimes!!

You people are so snarky and ridiculous - she is not posting crying for help- just asking for suggestions - who cares what vacations she has been on or plans on going on!!! They are not destitute. God the people on this board drive me friggen insane sometimes!!

Really?

OP sought advice from the BB because "her husband has spending issues", which suggests while they are not "destitute", as you said, there must be some potential for financial trouble.

And where there's potential for trouble, stuff, particuarly multiple WDW trips in a short time from over 1,000 miles away, is open for scrutiny...

Caveat: I am one of a small handful of males who contribute, here, so whenever a husband gets called-out on anything, I am going to look at BOTH sides of the coin...

I haven't been here long but I already think when I post "how will someone use this against me in the future." in other words, I've learned pretty quickly how people behave here but am still surprised when someone plays the "I read your last 300 posts and you went out to eat 176 days ago so I can't believe you are couponing now. Should've saved that Red Lobster money, you don't deserve a trip" card. I read some nice threads today, too bad I chose this one last!

You realize JB2K didn't have to read the OP's last 300 (or any) posts, or remember anything she's ever said here before, or know her from another source, right?

The information about the WDW trips he mentioned is available in the OP's signature.

I would cut TV and phone (assuming you have cells) but not internet. You can get an internet based phone, Netflix streaming, and really that is all you will need.

Now, are there other areas in your budget you can cut? Can you cut back on your cells? Can you stop eating out as much? Can you cut $25 per week from your grocery budget? Can you combine car trips to save on gas? Cut Disney to once per year?

Dawn

Really?

OP sought advice from the BB because "her husband has spending issues", which suggests while they are not "destitute", as you said, there must be some potential for financial trouble.

And where there's potential for trouble, stuff, particuarly multiple WDW trips in a short time from over 1,000 miles away, is open for scrutiny...

Caveat: I am one of a small handful of males who contribute, here, so whenever a husband gets called-out on anything, I am going to look at BOTH sides of the coin...

I get sticking up for the guys and all, but that familiy's trips have nothing to do with her question... she was clearly looking for some simple ways to save some money - maybe they just started feeling the money crunch now, the past is just that!!

Thank you to all for the input. My issues with spending are to get my family what they need. Yes there have been trips but I wanted my daughter to experience WDW before she gets to school and they frown upon you taking a child out of the classes. She is extremely bright and I just wanted her to have what I could give her. Anyway, I am very money aware where my DH spends and has no reguard for anything I have talked to him about. I have made countless budgets and gone over them with him. I opened a separate account for him to use for his smoking and fast food spending. No matter what I do or say he never supports nor helps cut back. His hobbies are anything with wheels and motors so nothing there is cheap. Our marriage has one huge problem and it is money. I was just looking for ways to cut back on household items since I do not get help from DH. I am going to a financial counseling session this week and looking into refi my mortgage. I normally am very good with finances but I am losing a battle with no help or changes from the spouse. He is the problem because he feels he earns his money so he can spend it how he wants. I do not like cc debt and we are carrying some and we owe my mother some money. We are not dire at all i am just looking for suggestions as to how to cut back when all my husband says is cut back the auto insurance. With our luck the moment I do something will happen so I was looking at unneccessary bills. I do shop Aldi and use coupons when I find them and buy majority of my DD and I clothes on clearance when needed.
Once again thank you to all and hope some of this backround helps clarify

Thank you to all for the input. My issues with spending are to get my family what they need. Yes there have been trips but I wanted my daughter to experience WDW before she gets to school and they frown upon you taking a child out of the classes. She is extremely bright and I just wanted her to have what I could give her. Anyway, I am very money aware where my DH spends and has no reguard for anything I have talked to him about. I have made countless budgets and gone over them with him. I opened a separate account for him to use for his smoking and fast food spending. No matter what I do or say he never supports nor helps cut back. His hobbies are anything with wheels and motors so nothing there is cheap. Our marriage has one huge problem and it is money. I was just looking for ways to cut back on household items since I do not get help from DH. I am going to a financial counseling session this week and looking into refi my mortgage. I normally am very good with finances but I am losing a battle with no help or changes from the spouse. He is the problem because he feels he earns his money so he can spend it how he wants. I do not like cc debt and we are carrying some and we owe my mother some money. We are not dire at all i am just looking for suggestions as to how to cut back when all my husband says is cut back the auto insurance. With our luck the moment I do something will happen so I was looking at unneccessary bills. I do shop Aldi and use coupons when I find them and buy majority of my DD and I clothes on clearance when needed.
Once again thank you to all and hope some of this backround helps clarify

While I think getting to the point that his child may be affected is crossing the line, I think he's got a point re: he's making the money, it's his money, if he prefers to blow it on hobbies, well...

Do you have a job? If the finances aren't working out, maybe it's time to think about getting one. What was your agreement about who would contribute financially what to what before you moved in together? Is that not being upheld?

Have you asked him to make a budget, if he's the only one working, and see what he budgets for what?

Keep your DSL for $20-$30 a month, then get an Ooma device to have your home phone for around $3/month in taxes. We spend $22/month for DSL, $3/month for taxes for our home phone (voip) number, and $55/month to Dish Network for our cable.

With the Ooma device, you can keep a home phone number...you really won't notice a difference and people can call you on it and you can call out.

Any chump change you save by trimming expenses will only increase the amount available to spend on vacations and hobbies. The marriage/spending issues are what need addressing....you don't have issues because you couldn't save $20 on your phone so you can't solve the problem by saving $20 on the phone.

I am very interested in suggestions not her vacations. I'm about fed up with Dish so I mainly would like suggestions about it.
Phone- Landline Frontier, the only service available with no tv or internet available 49.95
Internet- Thru a local company on a dish 44.95
TV- Dish I called them yesterday. New AMC channel needs a new receiver and I need to buy an external hard drive to save everything that is dvr'ed. Our contract is up so I am thinking about changing to Direct but I still need to save the DVR'ed stuff. 1 movie channel, 200 Gold package, nothing else. 108.00
I'd love if we had options to make it cheaper. it took us 4 months to get a phone and we had to have 12 trees cut down for internet and TV. That wasn't cheap.
Thanks

Any chump change you save by trimming expenses will only increase the amount available to spend on vacations and hobbies. The marriage/spending issues are what need addressing....you don't have issues because you couldn't save $20 on your phone so you can't solve the problem by saving $20 on the phone.

I agree with this. No matter how much *you* might save, it's good odds that he's going to spend it. You could save, say $100, and he'll look at it as having $100 more to spend on his hobbies or whatnot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter