lake placid in the summer for vacation??

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
any ideas for a family of 4 ....we are 2 adults/2 teens what is there to do and what about where to stay any recommendations???

Never been there myself but I wouldn't stay anywhere near that lady who looks just like Betty White!! :scared1: :lmao:

Hoping I'm not the only one who saw that movie and gets that joke!!! :rotfl:

Lake Placid is a charming little village.

Things you can do:

During warmer weather: tour the Olmypic facilities
In July(I believe) there is a two week long horse show if you are into that
During colder weather: ski, watch winter activities(bobsled, skiing, luge, skating)
Anytime:
Climb and hike some of the ADK mountains
Relax
Do some small outlet shopping

I live in Plattsburgh about 30 mins away from Lake Placid, you could take a day trip to Montreal(about an hour from Plattsburgh)(make sure you have a passport or birth cert.) or Burlington VT.(about 30 mins from Plattsburgh)(Tour Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Vermont Teddy Bear Company, Shelburne Farms, lots of shopping, lots of nice places to eat)

Hope that helps some

We went for a long weekend last year. Don't go when we went. I think it was the second or third week of Aug. There is some big lacrosse tourn. and EVERYTHING is booked. We had no idea about it and figured we'd just wing it and find a place when we got there (there are so many!). Luckily, we found ONE room available. We stayed at the Swiss Acres Inn. It was actually very nice. The rooms are very "Adirondacky" looking. The restaurant wasn't that great for dinner (kind of pricey), but they do give you a free buffet breakfast, which was good. There are 2 mini-golf places right there that are pretty nice. In town, there are several places to shop as well as all the Olympic attractions. If you happen to be going through Sacketts Harbor to get here, there is a great place for breakfast called Tin Pan Galley. They have a very pretty outdoor seating area. It is a very nice area. Have fun!

Can't help with where to stay but be sure to visit Ausable Chasum. Walk ways through it and go on the very quiet raft or tube ride down the river. It is fun. The history and and stories about the Ausable river are really interesting. (Ausable is probably wrong spelling)

Not sure of your budget for accomodations, but look into the Mirror lake inn. Its VERY CHARMING, loacted up on slight hill just across the road form the lake. Great views, beautiful lodge with all sorts of rooms open off the lobby that you can just sit it, curl up by the fire in the library, sit on the porch overlooking the lake, etc. They have afternoon tea and cookies, etc. the restaurant there is GREAT too! There's a spa there too, not sure if you're into that, we didn't do any spa treatments though when we stayed there.
Its about a 30 second walk to the main strip with bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

We always stay at the Golden Arrow. It's right on Mirror Lake and you are within walking distance to some stores and the olympic Ice skating center. It's a really nice hotel with a indoor pool, gym, sauna, steam room, gym. It also has a nice restaurant in it. HTH:)

We also stayed at the Golden Arrow. Right on Mirror lake, they have paddle boats, kayaks, etc to use for guests, they have a small beach.........indoor pool, etc..........right on the strip, walking distance to stores restaurants...........also walk to the olympic center.........walking distance to a nice park with a town beach, playground and a nice walking path.........
if you go in the summer Santa's Workshop will be open, small xmas themed amusement park. We went in June, and it wasn't open yet........but it looks really cute...the town has a post office really called North Pole.

oh and we ate at this really good bbq place...........I forget the name of it but it was on the road between lake placid and lake saranac........there is a huge red lobster out front........you sit outside at picnic tables, it was sooo good.
anyway, we had a lot of fun when we went, and we are thinking of going again.

With teens, I don't think I'd recommend Santa's Workshop. We went when we were up ther (the whole reason for the trip) with our 2 one year old's and our 8 year old. It was almost too "kiddy" for our 8 year old. It was cute to do once, but I don't think we'd go again unless we were given free tickets.

With teens, I don't think I'd recommend Santa's Workshop. We went when we were up ther (the whole reason for the trip) with our 2 one year old's and our 8 year old. It was almost too "kiddy" for our 8 year old. It was cute to do once, but I don't think we'd go again unless we were given free tickets.
yeah, after I posted that I re read the OP and saw her kids are teens :)

OP i have a ton of pics from our trip, if you want to see them let me know I will post some

Can't help with where to stay but be sure to visit Ausable Chasum. Walk ways through it and go on the very quiet raft or tube ride down the river. It is fun. The history and and stories about the Ausable river are really interesting. (Ausable is probably wrong spelling)

Ausable is correct, sometimes written as AuSable http://www.ausablechasm.com/

Also:
Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake http://www.adkmuseum.org/

Take a ferry across Lake Champlain

Drive up Whiteface Mountain http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/summer/highway.php

scenic train ride http://www.adirondackrr.com/

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter