Lake Michigan/Wisconsin Trip Ideas Needed

Last year I got so many great ideas from everyone here for our Lake Michigan trip, I am hoping some of you can join in this year and send some ideas for this years adventure!
We are tentatively planning a trip that will begin in central PA. We plan on driving to Notre Dame again for the first night (we had such a pleasant visit last summer). Then we would head towards Chicago (we do not plan on stopping there as we have been a few times in the past). We would like to follow the shoreline up north towards Green Bay and then continue towards the UP. We will make our way through there and then stop at Mackinac Island (loved it last year) and head south into Michigan.
Looking for cities/activities to stop at in Wisconsin and the UP. We will probably spend 11-16 days in late July on this trip.
It will be my DH, myself and possible my DD20 traveling. We are not into big hikes or water sports. We do like historic sites and unique road side stops. Last summer we had such a peaceful drive just stopping at the small towns and lighthouses on our way.
As always, we appreciate any ideas!
Haven’t read what others have said so I don’t know if it’s been said yet, but Door County sounds like it would be right up your alley. Check it out. It’s a little bit like Mackinac Island but with cars of course.

As others have stated it's a beautiful drive up the state of Wisconsin along I-43. Another stopping area would be Sheboygan. There is a beautiful resort (Blue Harbor) right on the lake with water park area. There are many quaint restaurants in this area that have been featured on cooking shows. You are minutes to the Kohler area and Johnsonville brat store which other posters mentioned. You can then continue on to Green bay and Door county. Lodging in Door county can be tough to find in the summer even during the pandemic so make that plan early.

OP here. I think I have a tentative schedule for the trip. If we end up not going to Hawaii, we will add more days into this trip.

Friday - Drive to ND (we will arrive around supper time so just planning on picking up supper and walking around campus)
Saturday - drive towards Green Bay (will either follow 43 or go inland near Fond du Lac)
Sunday - Door County
Monday - Porcupine Mountain/Copper Mine area
Tuesday - Picture Rocks
Wednesday - Tahquamenon falls
Thursday - Mackinac Island
Friday - Sleeping Dunes
Saturday - Henry Ford Museum
Sunday - drive home

Yes, I know it's a lot of driving! But we did a lot of driving last summer and we absolutely loved just looking at the sights.
I'll be taking all your ideas for restaurants and places to visit along the way. If anyone has any additional ideas, please let me know. I'd definitely like to stop at a cheese factory and supper club along the way. Also would like to fit in a quick stop at Bay Beach amusement park.

OP here. I think I have a tentative schedule for the trip. If we end up not going to Hawaii, we will add more days into this trip.

Friday - Drive to ND (we will arrive around supper time so just planning on picking up supper and walking around campus)
Saturday - drive towards Green Bay (will either follow 43 or go inland near Fond du Lac)
Sunday - Door County
Monday - Porcupine Mountain/Copper Mine area
Tuesday - Picture Rocks
Wednesday - Tahquamenon falls
Thursday - Mackinac Island
Friday - Sleeping Dunes
Saturday - Henry Ford Museum
Sunday - drive home

Yes, I know it's a lot of driving! But we did a lot of driving last summer and we absolutely loved just looking at the sights.
I'll be taking all your ideas for restaurants and places to visit along the way. If anyone has any additional ideas, please let me know. I'd definitely like to stop at a cheese factory and supper club along the way. Also would like to fit in a quick stop at Bay Beach amusement park.
I vote go the Fond du Lac way! I grew up in Fond du Lac.
It's situated on the southern tip of Lake Winnebago. Stop in at Lakeside Park. There is a historic lighthouse that you can walk up to the top for some great views!
And you must also stop at Gilles Frozen Custard. It's been around since the 1940s I believe. Car hops will take your order right from your car. Be sure to have a Gillieburger, with a side of cheese curds and then some yummy custard for dessert!

I would recommend the Empire Bluffs trail in Empire MI. If you drive go to downtown Empire, you will see small signs directing you to the hike. It is considered part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National seashore, so you will need to purchase and display a national parks (day) pass. The beach at Petoskey State Park is beautiful. Muskegon State Park. The lighthouse at Grand Haven State Park. Have fun!

I would recommend the Empire Bluffs trail in Empire MI. If you drive go to downtown Empire, you will see small signs directing you to the hike. It is considered part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National seashore, so you will need to purchase and display a national parks (day) pass. The beach at Petoskey State Park is beautiful. Muskegon State Park. The lighthouse at Grand Haven State Park. Have fun!

When I was young - let's say 1977-1985 we spent many summers renting a cottage in Empire, Michigan that was on the National Lakeshore there. It is my understanding that those homes are long gone. Sleeping Bear Dunes is definitely worth a stop and it is so pretty how Glen Lake is on one side of the Dunes and Lake Michigan on the other.

OP, I think the trip you have planned is great! Have you ever been to SW Michigan - Michigan City, Indiana New Buffalo and Holland, Michigan?

I worked in South Bend years ago and lived in the general area.

Door County would give you more unique choices. Bed and Breakfasts, resorts, hotels etc. There is a FANTASTIC, bar and grill in Sturgeon Bay that has awesome outdoor seating! Kitty O'Reilly's Pub in downtown Sturgeon Bay. There are neat little shops in Sturgeon Bay and Door County. In Sister Bay there is Al Johnson's restaurant. It is a Swedish fair with goats eating on the grass roof. Door County has a winery and trolley tour. Wineries start as far south as Kewaunee WI and go up the thumb. Von Stiehl in Algoma is a good one. Door Peninsula Winery is another one.
So nice to see a fellow Door County lover! My father-in-law was from Sturgeon Bay, and after they retired they bought a waterfront cottage on the Green Bay side of the peninsula. We made the 12 hour drive up there every summer to stay with them, it was a favorite vacation for all my kids. We were supposed to have a big family reunion there last summer and a memorial service for MIL, which was cancelled due to covid. Sister in law knocked down the old rustic cottage and built a modern house so hopefully we will get there in 2022. I bought a family pass for the Northern Sky Theater in Peninsula state park that's good for 3 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter