Laid off--Support thread

Dh was laid off while we were on vacation at Disneyworld. If we had know a few weeks eariler we wouldn't have gone.

Anyway he was laid off on SEpt. 15, 2008. He had ankle surgery in November, I had gall bladder surgery in Feb. and He has serious Back surgery in March. We are about to lose our home. We are thinking about moving to Flordia and finding jobs. I can transfer within my company and make the same amount I am making now. It would cover rent down there. His unemployment runs out in Sept. We don't know what to do. I just want to be done with this huge morgage payment and move on.

Is it hard to rent a place after a forcloser? I am trying to see how long we will be able to stay in the house without making the morgage payments. Anyone know how long a forcloser takes before you have to be out of the house?

Sylvia

Hi guys!

First of all, I just want to say this is great forum, and really says a lot about our little community here!

Anyway, I was laid off in 2007, worked for awhile at Kmart, had to leave due to medical reasons. Recently, I had an interview at Target but wasn't offered a job. Today I applied at a McDonalds; there seem to be quite a few of them hiring around here (we have a ton around here!) Has anyone worked in a McDonalds in the last little while? I'm curious about the work environment. I've heard good stories and bad stories. As everyone has said, good luck to everyone, and it's such a great place to connect and support!:yay:

Good luck! We have our insurance through them, and we've always dealt with really polite professional customer service reps.

Thanks! I go Friday for the multi-tasking computer and personality tests. The base pay is a $10K+ pay cut for me, but more than unemployment, which I am on my 2nd extension anyway. I wouldn't be able to completely make ends meet, with daycare especially, but it is a start!

Fingers crossed.

:woohoo: I finally got approved for unemployments benefits! :banana: It only took them 6 weeks to approve me, but now I have to wait until sometime next week before I will get any money. :cool2:

Well DH just called after his interview. It wasn't an interview after all, just a pre-screening meeting to fill out paperwork. Something just doesn't jive well with me and all this. On the phone it was a $20-$25/hr job ($20/hr is low average for his type of position) and when they asked DH what he is looking for, he said $20 and they guy was like well that is a big jump for you. He makes $16/hr because he hasn't gotten a raise in 3 years and when his employer paid for our entire insurance premium, it made up the difference in pay. Now this guy is talking like he isn't worth more money. So I said to DH , " Did you explain you haven't had a raise in 3 years and your total compensation was a lot higher due to excellent benefits?" Of course he did not explain any of this. This is a temp to hire position, so wage is the only point of negotiation. Ugh, this situation is so frustrating. I don't even know why he told them what he makes now. It's none of their business. I wonder what would happen if he didn't tell them. Anyone ever try that? Did it work?

We are thinking about moving to Flordia and finding jobs.

Sylvia

Be careful here. We have a very high unemployment rate in Florida. People are living in tent cities and in the woods and their cars. Do a Google search to learn more. I support the idea of moving to a place that has jobs, though.

Be careful here. We have a very high unemployment rate in Florida. People are living in tent cities and in the woods and their cars. Do a Google search to learn more. I support the idea of moving to a place that has jobs, though.

I went back to work after 14 months.
Full time with benifits, almost 1/2 what I was making before.
Yes make sure you have something solid waiting for you before moving.
Florida jobs are few.

...in your posts you come across as being a user and as a person who will try to always take advantage of situations and as being lazy.

FWIW Sandra, your posts haven't come across that way to me. At least, not the two I just read.

I had to quit a job b/c of the manager's vendetta against me and awful managing skills, and all I have to say is thank goodness the junk he pulled towards the end was in email, so I could rightfully say that there were heavy issues causing it to be a hostile workplace. These were not things about me, but things like, oh, jokes about 9/11 (his stepdad works for FEMA, he should KNOW better) and the like.

If I were you I would try to talk out these things with Kari, try to figure out the best phrase that states things without lying, but also without saying "they didn't like me". I know there are phrases like that, but I have to put DS to bed now and I can't think of them.

And I just wanted to send you huge hugs for that very sad part in the middle of one of your posts saying that you don't even tell Kari that you've applied for things, b/c you'd rather be seen as anything but a failure. :hug::hug::hug: You've got to talk to her. I gather she's your partner, and I'm sure she wants to help you, so talk to her.

I wanted to send hugs and luck to all of you here! We had a scare from April 2 to the last week of May, as hubby's department closed and he interviewed with so many people. He finally got contract work at a different company, and as he realized what a long slog contract work would be, his old job asked him to apply for a different position. He did so and just finished his 2nd week back there (this is his third time back, as they laid him off in March of '01, too!). He's been tremendously lucky (and he's terrific in interviews and can make his resume sparkle), so I'm hoping some of his luck can brush off on all of you who need it. :wizard:

FWIW Sandra, your posts haven't come across that way to me. At least, not the two I just read.

My opinion was not just from this thread. There is a history of using people to get what she wants and then dumping them. Anyway...this is not the correct thread for her to be. This is a thread for people who WANT TO WORK and are looking for support because they are having a hard time finding a job.

The poster we are referring to does NOT want to work and is not willing to look at herself as being the problem. No one should feel sorry for anyone that feels they are beneath working and those who think the working world needs to adapt to them and not the job seeker adapting to the work place. That signifies a spoiled person and a sense of entitlement. For heavens sake...she lives that close to WDW and does not have a job but is looking at DVC???? WHO is supposed to pay for that??? Her PARTNER???? I hope Kari reads what her deadbeat partner posts and she should re-evaluate the living situation.:confused3

I have a phone interview with Geico today, anyone have experience with them?

DD worked a few weeks or months with them, it seemed too good to be true for the pay and all.

In her case it was, she was laid off. That was in Buffalo area NY.
They spent a lot on drug testing and back ground search and all...then , boom. :confused3
She had the little gieco plastic dude....other things for promo's.

She is working at a Dollar store now.

DD worked a few weeks or months with them, it seemed too good to be true for the pay and all.

In her case it was, she was laid off. That was in Buffalo area NY.
They spent a lot on drug testing and back ground search and all...then , boom. :confused3
She had the little gieco plastic dude....other things for promo's.

She is working at a Dollar store now.

That is where I applied, I made it through the testing, now I am scheduled to meet a recruiter. It does seem like they go through a lot of expense

That is where I applied, I made it through the testing, now I am scheduled to meet a recruiter. It does seem like they go through a lot of expense

I sent a PM.
It is certainly a well paying job and there may have been reasons she didnot provide why she was left go.
Wishing you luck :)

Well, my interview went well, and I did more testing for Geico. The recruiter said she was passing my info. along to her supervisor and someone should let me know by Friday.

I also have an session scheduled with a temp agency.

Well, my interview went well, and I did more testing for Geico. The recruiter said she was passing my info. along to her supervisor and someone should let me know by Friday.

I also have an session scheduled with a temp agency.

:cheer2::cool1::woohoo::yay:party:
Good luck,
Wishing and hoping for things to go your way.
di

Well, I still haven't heard back from Geico, I left HR a message.

I interviewed with a non-profit yesterday, which went extremely well, but the position is a federally granted one from the "stimulus" money and is only guarantee for 1 year, AND the pay is only in the mid $20's a year. They just called to offer me a p/t position at even less!

Argh!!:sad2:

Well, I still haven't heard back from Geico, I left HR a message.

I interviewed with a non-profit yesterday, which went extremely well, but the position is a federally granted one from the "stimulus" money and is only guarantee for 1 year, AND the pay is only in the mid $20's a year. They just called to offer me a p/t position at even less!

Argh!!:sad2:

Oh that is so low, I can understand they are a nonprofit, but still to get great people the funds should have included a good payrate. I will cross my fingers that you hear from Geico soon!
Di

I just wanted to put in a quick update. I'm so happy to say that after a year of looking, hundreds of applications and dozens of interviews I have found a job. I filled out all my paperwork yesterday. I'm just waiting for the results of my drug test and then I'll be good to go. The first words out of DH's mouth? -Can we go to Disney for a quick weekend??

The one job that I really did love doing, is the one I blew big time. And it was my first full time job, for 2yrs 3 months. In fact this is the only job that I know my hire/fire dates. Or course it's hard to forget a date such as 6-6-06.

well, frankly I'm not sure whether you actually want to be hired or not, but what is the position you ENJOYED? Start there, apply everyhere that hires for that position.

In terms of your resume, i think the way things are most employers wouldnt bat an eye over the lack of work in the past year. I would def list the job from '97 to 2004? as it shows you were a long term employee somewhere, then put on your most recent job and if you can, list a contact person there who doesn't hate you..LOL

If you can't seem to get along with management and can't bite your tongue. Get in a union and suck it up for the probationary period..then managemnt cannot get rid of you just because you rub them the wrong way..they need a reason.

Congratulations Mrs. Reese! :thumbsup2

I didn't get the Geico job, finally got a return call and my poor credit rating did me in. Oh well, I don't think a call center is my "calling"

Oh golfgirl I just noticed your update, I am so sorry. I think all around Gieco must have super high standards. I don't know why, it is not like there is money in hand to be tempted, underwriting or anything big going on. Maybe just the way that they reduce the applicant pool. Sad that someone with no credit could get a job over someone working and in dire means. Hope something better comes along.
Di

I would not normally post a job available. I thought about a new thread...

I do know that many are seeking work and this company is very well paying.
My son is working for this secutity company and they are looking for a watch person in Montrose Pennsylvania, area, ASAP.

They pay is really good, the shift is 8:30 PM to 7:30 AM About $9- $11 an hour for the right person. Not daily,

di
Great news for Mrs. Reese!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter