Laid off--Support thread

After seven months I am relieved to say I finally have found a job. The day before I was to head north four hours away from where we live to interview for a job I was offered one about nine miles away. It is through a temp agency (temp to hire) and pays a little less than I was making in my previous job. But at the end of the required weeks, when they hire me on permenantly it will go up by $5000/yr and will be the best paying job I have had to date. After I accepted this one I got three more calls for interviews. I still can not believe the luck as I love this position, the pay, the fact it is only 10 minutes away and the gas I am saving. Knock on wood that something doesn't happen to destroy it all for me.

On top of finally landing a good paying job, I am also finalizing paperwork and drug testing on Monday for a part-time job to subsidize the full-time one. I used the expression that when it rains, it pours when all of our bad luck hit but it really can be used here now that the good luck is pouring in. We also are waiting for the closing on selling one of our DVC properties and I am considering lowering the price of our other one to go ahead and move it more quickly.

We are still going to have to be extremly fugal as my DH has still lost 70% of his income but we are finally on the way to digging our way out and getting on the right path with our finances.

Someone must have sprinkled some pixie dust on my family. So I will do the same for those who are still looking for work. Don't give up. Try to keep your spirits up and continue working hard on finding that job. Temp agencies can be a good source for finding that job but if you are worried about losing your unemployment make sure that they know you are looking for temp-to-hire rather than temporary jobs. Good luck to all! pixiedust:

Has anyone had a professional resume done? Has it helped? Did you use someone online?

Has anyone used or registered at a Temp Service? I was thinking of going to one in the area but I did not know how this affects unemployment. I just don't want to do anything wrong. I did not know if I contacted them if I am called for a temp job or what.

I am of to read all the pages of the thread.

Lots of luck to everyone.

I signed up with a temp agency for about 4-6 months a couple years back. They were really nice. I filled out a questionaire about previous employment and experiences. What I would like to do, how far I would be willing to travel, that sort of stuff. I called about once a week if they didn't call me first. I let them know my availability. A couple times I needed a day off for dentist appts or something like that, I just tried to let them know in advance, and if I was working some place that i knew I would be there for a while, I would let the person in charge know as well, but it wasn't neccassary as you only need to contact the agency.

Each job is different, different lengths, different pay, different location. I put my availability to work in a wide area, so some jobs I wonder how much I would actualy make after the gas and tolls. One job I worked at for about a month till my assignment was complete, one job I worked at for a day. Usually temp agencies get with companies and fill in for when people are going on vacation, medical leave, maternity leave, or special assignments need to get done and no one that currently works there has the time to do it.

It wasn't a bad experience, but nothing I'd do again. Because you don't know when your next job is going to be.

I've never used a professional resume service, but if you work experience is lengthy, like you did a lot for your past company. It might help, and if your college education and such is extremely old. You know being a computer major in the 80's is nothing like what it today and probably wouldn't hold up the same. But it's not to say you haven't kept up with technology to know all the new stuff. If you can afford it, go for it. They probably know all the little tricks of the trade and catchy words and phrases, and know how to make it look pretty for HR.

Just poking my head in.. dh got laid off 2 weeks before Christmas. 5 years ago he was laid off and it took 16 months to find a new job, so I am not holding much hope this will resolve quickly. We have a son in private university and 3 other teenagers at home, this time the layoff has affected them much more than before (the oldest 2 do have part time jobs, altho hours are scarce for teens around here, it seems).

Dh has just started "working" for a start-up company that does not have funding. They have no office and the 12-15 "employees" work from home, for free. It gives dh something constructive to do and will look good on his resume. And when they do get funding, it could be lucrative for him if he were to be officially hired.

During the school year, I work 2 mornings a week at our church doing childcare. I may try to find another part time job once school starts.

Beth

Well I think I adapted quite well at Disney. And I had some pretty tough managers, who most people absolutely hated. But I had an area manager take over that I didn't get along with at all, so on our next bid I transfered out. And well she ended up following to where I was because the area manger that I liked and got along with ended up being moved to a different dept. Then if that wasn't bad enough, a guy that I knew as a regular photographer got moved up to manager, it pretty much went straight to his head... and well he stood over my shoulder to point out every little wrong thing I did. Which truthfully wasn't that wrong or that bad as he tried to show it. But I had two managers that didn't like me, and well they always win when it comes to HR. (I've also talked with other photographers that are still there today that say the guy's gotten even worse, and Kari even has a horror story about him which just proves how evil he really is)

I am who I am, and I'm not changing. I get along with my co-workers to the extent that I have to, don't expect me to be great buddies with every one. I once had a discussion about not having enough friends in the dept from this manager. Now where in the rule book does it say I have to be buddy buddy with fellow co-workers and hang out with them after work?? I kept to myself, I did my job, and didn't find a need to be buddy buddy with others outside of work. I don't think I had any arch nemises at work, but I didn't treat any one like they were. Another discussion with him was I wasn't smiling backstage. When I'm backstage, that's MY time, not his, not the company's time... if I'm hot sweaty and grouchy and I want to be all pouty about it, then it's MY time to do it. And it's not like I'm going into base "it's so bleeping hot out, I want to go home now, I want this or I want that." No I go get my food, I take it to the lunch area, wipe the smile and sweat off my face for 30 minutes. And I know once I punch in and get my next assignment I walk out on stage with the biggest smile possible like it's the greatest most beautiful day in the world.
If some one hires me, trains me, knows I can accomplish my work... why do they have to stand over my shoulder?? None of my home room managers had any issues with my work. And once monthly we got photo reviews and passed every one with flying colors. My previous end of the year review I got flying colors and recieved the highest raise possible. But once those two managers showed up, everything went spiralling down hill.

I'm just asking, how do I make my application look better than it really is. How do I put I left because I didn't get along with managers, or left because the hours were horrible and I was making a 100$ a week?? (which you can't really survive on). I can't say I ever had a problem with my actual job and doing it. But my personality is just hard to get along with, no matter what foot I put forward. I really think there's other things that dictate who we actually get along with. Because Kari's got this wonderful winning personality and becomes friends with people quickly, and on several occasions I've told her, this person isn't good from the get go. Well sometime in the near future they backstabbed her, and all I could say was "told you so". I don't know what it is or why, but so far I've been pretty acurate. And when we're together, meeting some one new for the first time, people just gravitate towards her more than me, no matter how "charming" I try to be. And there were no actions to put me off like that.

Some of the questions I'd like to know, is do I have to fill out every job I've had? Sometimes they just ask for the past 3 jobs, if they're all within 5 years, can I pick any three, or do I have to put just the three most recent? If I left a job because hours/pay were horrible, how do I explain the two month gap in finding a new job? If there's something on my background check, do I bring it up before they pull the report?? How do I explain my year long gap now in finding a job? There's a whole bunch of things that went on as to why I put off looking for a job after I didn't find anything for the holidays. Do I just chalk it up to a bad recession? Is it better to look like you're wanting to stay with a company for a long time or is shorter better?? Like if I could have a full time job for about 1 year to pay off all this debt, my need for a job would become a little less. Since Kari's income is more than enough to cover cost of living.

When I look at my previous employment, it cast a much darker shadow than what really happened. I know where I fit in, I know where I don't. I've had Kari to support me all these years, so it's given me the opprotunity to try to find something different when I need to. But I just look horrible on paper and don't know what to do to make it look better.

Never lie on an application or resume. Fill in exactly what they ask for. If they want all your jobs then list all of your jobs. If they only want the last 3 then just list the last three.

After reading all you have written here and read about some other posts I will still have to stick to my original answer that is it time to grow up and act your age. Stop depending on other people to keep you afloat. I do not know you but in your posts you come across as being a user and as a person who will try to always take advantage of situations and as being lazy. Do you think that anyone really WANTS to work?? I would love to have all my bills and needs taken care of but as a responsible adult I work and take care of my bills and also contribute to the household bills and needs of my family.

All of the posters here who have either lost a job or have a spouse who has lost a job would do anything to have a job...any kind of job. And I can bet that they would be so thankful to have a job that they would find a way to get along with Managers and co-workers in order to keep that job. There are lots of people that I have to work with everyday who I would rather not even come into contact with BUT I smile and do whatever they have asked me to do. Maybe they like me maybe they don't but that does not matter. My job is to follow the way they want things done. Your post above is filled with excuses. "THEY" don't like me(boohoo). You need to stop playing the blame game and work on yourself.

One day your "friend" will wake up and realize that she no longer wants to take care of you.

Now...maybe you should start your own thread about how to fill out an application or resume because this thread is for people who really really want to work and are looking for support. Not for whiners who do not want to work (as you said yourself) and are looking for ways to not tell the whole truth on applications.

Hi everyone. First of all lots of :grouphug: to all that have been affected by the lay offs. I lost my job of 21 years back in May. I have a couple of questions that may have been answered here (have not read all the pages of the thread yet)

Has anyone had a professional resume done? Has it helped? Did you use someone online?

Has anyone used or registered at a Temp Service? I was thinking of going to one in the area but I did not know how this affects unemployment. I just don't want to do anything wrong. I did not know if I contacted them if I am called for a temp job or what.

I am of to read all the pages of the thread.

Lots of luck to everyone.

My first resume I did with Win Way resume. I also did my husbands on Monster.com and WORD2003
Gathering up the information was the most difficult part.

I applied for temp job, I did excellant and also the jobs were there, but the money was far below survival needs and I was going way in reverse for pay. It was great for someone that was re-entering the work force or entry level for contacts, Finding a nitch and reliable pay.....is it a dream?
I really liked the idea of temp...I just could not get above $8 an hour.

My dd had excellant luck with hire as a temp and then permanant hire.
I hope that this economy changes and things pick up.
:surfweb:

Never lie on an application or resume. Fill in exactly what they ask for. If they want all your jobs then list all of your jobs. If they only want the last 3 then just list the last three.

After reading all you have written here and read about some other posts I will still have to stick to my original answer that is it time to grow up and act your age. Stop depending on other people to keep you afloat. I do not know you but in your posts you come across as being a user and as a person who will try to always take advantage of situations and as being lazy. Do you think that anyone really WANTS to work?? I would love to have all my bills and needs taken care of but as a responsible adult I work and take care of my bills and also contribute to the household bills and needs of my family.

All of the posters here who have either lost a job or have a spouse who has lost a job would do anything to have a job...any kind of job. And I can bet that they would be so thankful to have a job that they would find a way to get along with Managers and co-workers in order to keep that job. There are lots of people that I have to work with everyday who I would rather not even come into contact with BUT I smile and do whatever they have asked me to do. Maybe they like me maybe they don't but that does not matter. My job is to follow the way they want things done. Your post above is filled with excuses. "THEY" don't like me(boohoo). You need to stop playing the blame game and work on yourself.

One day your "friend" will wake up and realize that she no longer wants to take care of you.

Now...maybe you should start your own thread about how to fill out an application or resume because this thread is for people who really really want to work and are looking for support. Not for whiners who do not want to work (as you said yourself) and are looking for ways to not tell the whole truth on applications.

amen sista .....

funnily when I was peeling potatoes in a scuzzy kitchen by day, and helping in an old age care home at night changing geriatrics diapers to pay for the car and equipment I needed for my career I REALLY didnt like those jobs either, and I didnt care for my other employees who were equally as fed up as me ....

but then I'm fit to work, able to work, and I'll be dammed if I sponged off anyone on my lazy butt all day lamenting that "Work is not really my thing ..."

I am (was) a teacher and I was laid off with the state budget cuts. It is really starting to sink in now that school is getting ready to start again (a week from tomorrow). They have recalled a lot of teachers but I was hired last year right before school started so I am low on the list. I have 3 years experience but it is all based on hire dates and I switched districts when I got married.

I have applied all around but there is only one district within 40 miles of me that is hiring. They had 2500+ applicants for their 75 positions according to the news. Every other district laid of hundreds and is still recalling them. It's frustrating. I have applied for unemployment but haven't received it yet. It seems to be due to the fact that this is a normal break for teachers and they are making sure I don't get recalled.

I heard from HR they are doing another round of recalls tomorrow (yes- one week before school starts) so fingers are crossed!

:grouphug: to all in the same boat!

I am (was) a teacher and I was laid off with the state budget cuts. It is really starting to sink in now that school is getting ready to start again (a week from tomorrow). They have recalled a lot of teachers but I was hired last year right before school started so I am low on the list. I have 3 years experience but it is all based on hire dates and I switched districts when I got married.

I have applied all around but there is only one district within 40 miles of me that is hiring. They had 2500+ applicants for their 75 positions according to the news. Every other district laid of hundreds and is still recalling them. It's frustrating. I have applied for unemployment but haven't received it yet. It seems to be due to the fact that this is a normal break for teachers and they are making sure I don't get recalled.

I heard from HR they are doing another round of recalls tomorrow (yes- one week before school starts) so fingers are crossed!

:grouphug: to all in the same boat!

Wow..That would be acary...not knowing this close to school if you will teach or not. Do the teachers sign contracts where you live? Our sign in the Spring and they know then if they have a job or not.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Well I don't think my question really needs a new topic... but I would like some imput.

How do I go about filling out applications?? I've only ever had two interviews both were last year, and it's been almost a year now without a job.

My other problem is I've held 7 jobs, 1 store has close, 1 was with a temp agency, and I couldn't even tell you how much I made at any of those jobs other than not enough. .

In your case-use the strategies in a Functional Resume-where you list your job duties and strengths, and don't concentrate on failure. I'd skip very short term jobs-list ones that you did best at. Actually-few employees really call former emploers, IMO

Do a google search of Functional Resume to see the difference between that and a chronological resume.

Add is to the list, my dh was given the notice that he was being laid off as of August 31st from a well-known company. We have known for about a month, but it still doesnt make it any better that the inevitable is going to happen at the end of the month. It is scarey for me, but I know that he is a talented Architect, so he will find something, but the question is when? He has and is continuing to apply at different companies, but nothing yet, not even an interview. It is my prayer that he will get an interview and get something soon. Of course he'll have severance but that is not meant to last long, and he'll get unemployment, but still, that is not long term. I would rather him have a position that he likes over the unemployment.

Dont get me wrong, I know that it could be worse. I am a school Librarian and I teach online, so I am sure that we will be fine for a while, but it still doesnt make the sting any less painful :sad2:. I go back to work in two weeks and the sadness is kicking in for me. My dh is a strong man and for that I am thankful because I am a nervous wreak :confused:.

So to everyone, heres a :hug: for you. I am sure that everything will owrk out perfectly, it has to :goodvibes.

Thanks for listening to me vent a bit :)

Of course, I need to remove my ticker. So no Christmas at the World for us, even if he finds a job :(. ((lol)) :O)

Wow..That would be acary...not knowing this close to school if you will teach or not. Do the teachers sign contracts where you live? Our sign in the Spring and they know then if they have a job or not.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks! Yes, we sign contracts in the spring. In my district 220 teachers were given what is called "Notice of non-renewal" instead, which basically means they are not sure if they will have the $$ for your position so they can't offer you a contract for the next year. It is purely seniority that determines who is cut. We are an average sized district, the bigger ones laid off 400-600 teachers. Now, the state passed a somewhat better budget than projected so more than half of those teachers were hired back and signed contracts within the last month or so.

Sorry S's mom :hug:

I got laid off 7/3/09. I've been taking it easy this summer so far, but have to attend a manditory seminar this AM at the unemployment office.

good news! DH has an interview tomorrow. It's a temp to hire position, full time, so hopefully that will work out for him. Also, we finally got his unemployment after 6 weeks, which we desperately needed.

Just needing to vent a little...

DH has been out of work since 6/13/08!!! He has been sending out resumes and contacting people in his industry constantly, on a daily basis. His last interview was in JANUARY!! There is just nothing available in his line of work. :sad2: Moving is not an option as I have a job that pays well (I make as much as he did in his last position) and has employer-paid benefits. If we moved, we'd be in the same boat we're in now, but with me looking for the job.

The really depressing thing is that he can't even seem to land a part-time job at the local stores or gas stations because he is over-qualified and employers think he will leave after they train him. He only needs to make about 1/3 of what he was making when he got laid off for us to be able to continue making our bills.

His unemployment will be running out soon and I'm worried sick about how we are going to make our monthly bills. We just had to spend a good portion of our savings on a new sewer line because the old one collapsed. :eek:

I'm asking that if you are so inclined, please say a prayer that something comes along soon. He only needs to make about 1/3 of what he was making when he got laid off for us to be able to continue making our bills.

:dance3:

HAPPY TO SAY.
I FINALLY GOT A CALL BACK YESTERDAY.
ALL MY PAPER-WORK AND DRUG TEST ARE BACK.
I WORKED A FULL 8 HOUR SHIFT TODAY.
FULL TIME WORK MONDAY - FRIDAY.
WITH FULL MEDICAL & DENTAL AFTER 90 DAYS.

I'M MAKING ABOUT 1/2 AS MUCH PER HOUR AS
I DID @ MY LAST FULL TIME JOB.
THAT WAS 14 MONTHS AGO.
ALSO NOT THE SAME POSITION.

I WAS A MAINTENANCE TECHINICAN.
BEING A WOMEN IN A MAN'S PROFESSION & OVER 50.
AIN'T EASY.

SO I JUST HAD TO BITE THE BULLET.
TOOK A HOUSEKEEPING POSITION.
AT A ASSISTED LIVING COMMUNITY.
BACK TO WHERE I STARTED 15 YEARS AGO.
I'M JUST HAPPY TO BE BACK IN THE WORK FORCE.

I PRAY EVERYDAY FOR THINGS TO TURN AROUND.
FOR THE JOBS TO COME BACK &
THIS COUNTRY TO GET BACK TO WHAT IT WAS.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL STILL IN THE SEARCH.

I want to add my encouragement to everyone on this thread.

I was laid off on Halloween 2008 when my company went Chapter 11. They converted the 11 to a Chapter 7, and none of us got a cent of severance.

In these past 9 months, I have been on a total of 4 face to face interviews. I went on the 4th one on Monday, and started my new position TODAY.

My advice to everyone still looking:

Have a fresh set of eyes look over your resume. Sometimes a new perspective can be really good.

Understand that your 'perfect' job may not exist right now. For me, this position I accepted is paying less than I'd like, but it's 20 minutes from my house, and is a true 8:30-5 position, with no on-call, and no crazy IT hours. For me, that's a great trade off.

Keep the faith everyone. I have noticed that there are more jobs being posted on Monster, Career Builder, etc.

:dance3:

HAPPY TO SAY.
I FINALLY GOT A CALL BACK YESTERDAY.
ALL MY PAPER-WORK AND DRUG TEST ARE BACK.
I WORKED A FULL 8 HOUR SHIFT TODAY.
FULL TIME WORK MONDAY - FRIDAY.
WITH FULL MEDICAL & DENTAL AFTER 90 DAYS.

I'M MAKING ABOUT 1/2 AS MUCH PER HOUR AS
I DID @ MY LAST FULL TIME JOB.
THAT WAS 14 MONTHS AGO.
ALSO NOT THE SAME POSITION.

I WAS A MAINTENANCE TECHINICAN.
BEING A WOMEN IN A MAN'S PROFESSION & OVER 50.
AIN'T EASY.

SO I JUST HAD TO BITE THE BULLET.
TOOK A HOUSEKEEPING POSITION.
AT A ASSISTED LIVING COMMUNITY.
BACK TO WHERE I STARTED 15 YEARS AGO.
I'M JUST HAPPY TO BE BACK IN THE WORK FORCE.

I PRAY EVERYDAY FOR THINGS TO TURN AROUND.
FOR THE JOBS TO COME BACK &
THIS COUNTRY TO GET BACK TO WHAT IT WAS.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL STILL IN THE SEARCH.

I want to add my encouragement to everyone on this thread.

I was laid off on Halloween 2008 when my company went Chapter 11. They converted the 11 to a Chapter 7, and none of us got a cent of severance.

In these past 9 months, I have been on a total of 4 face to face interviews. I went on the 4th one on Monday, and started my new position TODAY.

My advice to everyone still looking:

Have a fresh set of eyes look over your resume. Sometimes a new perspective can be really good.

Understand that your 'perfect' job may not exist right now. For me, this position I accepted is paying less than I'd like, but it's 20 minutes from my house, and is a true 8:30-5 position, with no on-call, and no crazy IT hours. For me, that's a great trade off.

Keep the faith everyone. I have noticed that there are more jobs being posted on Monster, Career Builder, etc.

Congrats to both of you!!! :banana:

My husband who got laid off in February is still looking. He did have one job offer, but it was less than unemployment and we would need to pay for daycare x two so it just didn't seem right at the moment, but I'm very happy for both of you!:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter