Laid off and can't find work

Disneyfan1977

DIS Veteran
Hi All
Its been a while since I have posted anything. Last time I posted we were in much better times, planning for our Disney vacation....:thumbsup2

I got laid off on 3/1 after 17 years of work (worked there since I was 14).

So I have searched endlessly for work and have only found a temp job a few hours a week. Spirits are kind of low and figured I'd log on to the budget board for a little pick me up:goodvibes and to see if anyone has any job search suggestions for me.

We are in Delaware and apparently I am competing with everyone for a job these days.....

Anyone in a similar circumstance? Any suggestions?

Just want to wish you Luck in getting a new job that is even Better than the one you had. Sorry you're dealing with this! :grouphug:

Where in Delaware? I am the Lewes area and all the retail stores are hiring for the summer tourist season. Good luck finding something!

I don't have any suggestions. Just a hug.:grouphug: I hope things start getting better for you!

It's a common problem to have right now. My DH was laid off a year ago from a job he'd had for 22 years. He's been actively looking for a job and has only had 3 interviews, none leading to a job. There's just so much competition right now. We're confident that something will turn up if we keep plugging away. It will happen for you too!:)

:goodvibes Sending good thoughts your way...I'm at the other end of the spectrum, just graduated from college with some work experience, and having a tough time in the CA job market.

One suggestion would be a temp agency? Many times they have direct-hire positions, especially for someone with a strong work history like yourself.

Or....Maybe it's time to relocate to FL and work for Disney? ::MinnieMo :-)

I am not sure about your area but in my area (and it others where I have lived) there is always a need for good high-quality childcare. Now may be a great time especially with schools getting out soon.

Could you keep a few children during the week? You may have to check with your numbers to see if you would need to be liscensed.

Best of luck to you!

What line of work were you in? Are you interested in relocating? Providing as much information as possible in your post may help you if someone else on the board is looking to hire.

Small world--I also live in Wilmington, DE. I was laid off on March 31. It was no surprise--our company was bought by another company and many of the local corporate positions are being eliminated. I could see my work slowly disappearing.

It is all about networking. I hate it because I am terrible at it. Have you joined LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com)? There are all kinds of groups you can join on LinkedIn. I joined the Career Changers group among others. I have been told to create a new e-mail address for anything you post for on Monster or CareerBuilder, otherwise your e-mail will get flooded with job stuff.

Also, this site www.delawarejobnetwork.com has many different articles that may be of interest. I bought Tory Johnson's book from GMA, Fired to Hired. She lists many different web resources. www.indeed.com - you can search companies by zip code.

Is your resume up to date? "Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of Professional Resume Writers"--tons of before and after examples of resumes. You could also go to the local library and check out job hunting and resume books.

Good luck!:thumbsup2

While you are looking for work, maybe you can make a few $$$ working from home. Check out wahm.com for a list of many types of legitimate work from home jobs. Good luck.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter