Lagoon Swimming?

Flesner

Earning My Ears
This may be a silly question but I have to ask...

Many years ago (like 15 probably) I stayed at the Polynesian. I remember being able to swim in a roped off area of the lagoon. I don't recall being able to swim the last time we stayed there although I don't know if we tried. Is there any swimming in the lagoon at any of the monorail resorts? If not, why?

swimming is not permitted in any of the "natural" water at wdw, only in the pools and water parks...

why? alligators for one... water quality for another... no lifeguards is a third... and i'm sure there are plenty more reasons...

No one is allowed to swim in the lagoon -- at any of the monorail resort beaches. It has to do with bacteria levels (though some people also site alligator issues). Kids are allowed to play in the sand, though.

I also use to swim in the lagoons but Disney hasn't allowed it in quite awhile.
Although you can still waterski from the CR, because you are not near the bottom of the lakes where you would stir up sediment.

In July 2002, two boys in the Orlando area were affected after swimming in warm lakes, where they got the infections. One boy, 12, died after being infected by an amoeba (a microscopic organism) in the Conway chain of lakes. Being infected by this kind of amoeba is almost always fatal, as it is said to travel to the brain and not respond to antibiotics. Another boy, 15, was doing better as of this writing after battling a bacterial infection caught at Lake Talmadge. He reportedly had a cut, where the bacteria may have entered his body.

These aren't the first people to be infected this way -- you may hear about such cases almost every year -- but the infection is pretty rare. According to health reports, only 150 cases of the amoeba infection have been reported (18 in Florida from 1962-2000), and there have been only 50 cases of the 15-year-old's bacterial infection. Florida may see a greater percentage of these kinds of infections because these organisms thrive in the warm muck of the lake bottoms -- and people seek the swimming holes to get a reprieve from the heat.

Florida state health officials have advised against going into Florida freshwater areas until temperatures drop. If you must go into a lake, according to the Florida Department of Health, "wear nose clips, avoid stirring up sediment and avoid swimming near lake bottoms, where organisms are more concentrated."

Florida + water = Alligators
I wouldn't let my kids get to close to waters edge playing in the sand.

If you think about the closed nature of the watershed in Bay Lake and the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon.. and then think about the sheer volume of boat and other motorized traffic... you'd quickly realize how nasty that water is for the most part.

Even if it were miraculously allowed, I'd STRONGLY think twice.

And then, after that, think about just the possibility of gators. :)

Knox

There is also a freshwater amoeba that lives in the waters here in FL. It can kill you if it gets in your system.

I know this is a bit off topic, but given all the issues with Florida fresh water, is the water on the water rides (e.g. Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain) safe? Wouldn't that be lake water as well? I don't want to be dripping with amoebas! :eek:

I know behind Splash Mt. they have a big water processing plant so I would imagine that water has been treated.

The Florida Public Health Code requires that visibility be maintained to a certain depth in all fresh water sources before public seimming is allowed. None of the lakes or lagoons at WDW are able to maintain that level of visibility, which is why swimming isn't allowed.

Swimming isn't allowed in the majority of fresh water sources in FLorida for this same reason.

That said, I'm not going into any fresh water in Florida due to the omnipresent alligators, regardless of how clean or clear it is.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter