Ladies, some make-up advice please

mommaU4

DIS Veteran
Hi ladies!
I am looking for some recommendations on a really good mascara. But wait, there's a catch. LOL It has to be cheap. Meaning, something I can pick up at Target, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

With four kids who always need/want something my days of shopping for make-up at department stores are long gone. ;)
I'd like something that lengthens really well. That's more important to me then curl or being waterproof, etc.

Also, any hints on how to make your nail polish last longer? I do my own nails (no more salon time either!) and I don't mind it, but sometimes after just a day or two, the polish is chipping off. :confused3

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or tips you have to share. :)

Well, its not the cheapest thing in the world, but I really love Sephoras brand of mascara. Its $10, and you can order it online at www.Sephora.com

While your there, you can pick up some other stuff too!!

I used to use either Chanel or Lancome, but believe it or not my new favorite is Cover Girl Volume Exact!

I have blonde, thin eyelashes, and it gives me long, thick eyelashes. I am truly surprised at how much I love it!

I've also tried the Lash Exact and I like that too, just not as much as the Volume Exact. :)

L'Oreal Voluminous is the best "cheapie" mascara I have ever used.

Thanks for the suggestions! It gives me an idea of where to start in Target's sea of mascaras. :thumbsup2

I personally use both Maybelline and Cover Girl (both waterproof). The Cover Girl (cheapest one in waterproof, can't recall the name) is the easiest on my eyes when I wear contacts. Even the expensive brands irritated more than Cover Girl did :confused3 A friend of mine who is a make up artist never uses anything more expensive than a few dollars. She prefers Maybelline in general.

I recently had great results with Revlon 3D extreme. I like it much better than the 2 step - white stuff first - kind.

I also have used Neutrogena and love their stuff. I have rosacea and psoriasis as well as very sensitive skin. I have had trouble all my life finding a moisturizer and finally found it. Neutrogena® Healthy Defense® SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer
It is light and has a sun block. I don't feel greasy at all and it has never made my face get red or irritated. Honestly, it is the very first product I have had no problems with.

I have been using thier mascara too and like it. Neutrogena® Weightless Volume® wax-free mascara. It has no wax and no build up. It cleans off very easily but you need at least two coats as it is very light. If you do layers it is just as nice as the others.

I love Maybelline Lash Discovery, waterproof in black. The brush is small, but full and really pulls the lashes as long as they go. I always get all the extra off with a paper towel before using, so that the brush can do it's thing.:goodvibes

Beth - I only use Neutrogena products. And I love them. I think they are pretty reasonable too.

http://www.neutrogena.com/econsumer/ntg/index.view

A tip for nail polish...put a coat or two of clear over your color. It will make it last a while longer.
For some reason I didn't even think of them for make-up. I do use their lotion though and like it a lot.

I recently had great results with Revlon 3D extreme. I like it much better than the 2 step - white stuff first - kind.
That's what I use now, the kind with the white stuff first. lol Can't remember at the moment what it's called. It's ok, but I was wondering if there was something better I was missing.

I also have used Neutrogena and love their stuff. I have rosacea and psoriasis as well as very sensitive skin. I have had trouble all my life finding a moisturizer and finally found it. Neutrogena® Healthy Defense® SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer
It is light and has a sun block.
I use their face lotion for sensitive skin. It is nice and light. :thumbsup2

I love Maybelline Lash Discovery, waterproof in black. The brush is small, but full and really pulls the lashes as long as they go. I always get all the extra off with a paper towel before using, so that the brush can do it's thing.:goodvibes
I love this one! I have tried various others and I always go back to Maybelline.

There are 3 different brands that I have right now- they are all great:

1- Maybelline Great Lash- the oldie but goodie. Never fails to make my lashes look long and thick. Tends to get a bit clumpy if I don't take the time to really work with it, though. Can smudge on my lids because it takes a longer time to dry than others.

2- Maybelline Full n' Soft- good for days when I want a more natural, "no makeup" look. Keeps lashes full and, well, soft. Adds good definition and natural looking length.

3- L'oreal Double Extend (the 2 stage type- one layer of white undercoat, then black on top)- the newest one I have. Great for getting lashes reallllly long. Stays on really well, all day and night. Comes off with lots of water, kind of odd the way it comes off in little threadlike tubes- no "raccoon eyes", though.

Mabelline - the one that has the pink and green color tube. It's rated the best of all the cheaper mascara's and better than some of the expensive ones.

I use an eyelash curler and buy covergirl great lash, it is what I have always used.

I can't believe you didn't ask me, first. :guilty: :rotfl:

Now when I can afford it, I always buy Lancome, love it, but I don't get it very often.

Oh I love nailpolish. This is what I recently started using after reading some wonderful nailpolish blogs. First of all I use a NailTek base coat and top coat. There are different types depending on your type of nail. For example soft peelings nail, hard brittle nails, normal nails etc. NailTek is a brand used in many salons. You can probably go to a nail salon and ask about it. It can also be found at some Ultas. My secret is buying it online, it's much cheaper than any store, even with shipping. Nailpolish is also incredibly cheap this way, cheaper than the drugstore. PM me if you want the link, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

So base coat and top coat is a must. Also, when I paint my nails I paint over the edge of the nail and a little bit under the nails. This really reduces chipping at the tips, which is the first place I see wear.

I reapply a top coat every few days. You should probably do it everyday, but I get lazy. You can also use a fast dry top coat when you first apply the color, so you can reduce your chances of getting dents and smudges from the beginning. I use Seche Vite, it's amazing and will dry your nails in a matter of minutes.

Using these products has eliminated my desire to get my nails done at the salon. It's much cheaper and more fun at home.

Full20N20SoftR20Mascara.jpg
AAAAAgCdapkAAAAAAMl0rw.jpg

I second the nomination of this wonderful mascara... it goes on easy (no clumping!!!!!!!!!!!) and comes off easy (water will almost cut it by itself.)

I've been using this for years. Good luck on your quest. :D

I LOVE Cover Girl's Lash Blast and also Maybeline's The Colossal Volum' Express. When putting on my make-up, I start with the Volum' and then add the Lash Blast. My lashes look full and long.
If was were to use just 1, it would be Lash Blast.

I agree on the LashBlast. You may be disgusted to find out what I think is one of it's best features - sometimes it lasts so well you can skip a day. That's right ladies, I shower and then sleep with it on , and it doesn't smudge or smear on my pillow. Is that trashy or what?

L'oreal Double Extend - I love it. It works very well. No clumping or smudging and my lashes are separated and nice and long. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter