Ladies - Is there a QUANTITY of dresses/capris to bring?

catjammies

Mouseketeer
Ok. I'm EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Is there a Standard & generally accepted quantity list of what ladies should bring on a 7 day cruise? ---- as in quantity?

2-3 pairs of shoes/sandals? ok. i can do sandals, even on big walking excursions. i think i've ruled out tennies. i'm 40 - but still lucky - without too bad lingering pains in back/legs yet !!!!!!

Considering dinners, where we plan to dress "decently"- as they ask & very few formal lunches & breakfasts - 000000 let's face it, we'll normally do the BUFFET lunch & bkfst------can you suggest the correct # of items? It may be hard to say, since items should mix & match, BUT
i HATE pantyhose. I MIGHT wear ONE pair????? maybe.

Anyway ---
1 Formal Dress
1 Semi Formal Dress
3-4 Dress/Capri Outfits????? do you think that's TOO much or about right?

Can you hazard a guess on
Top/Short outfits? - that's ALL I'd wear on a regular day - at sea & on land.
I WILLNOT wear something that's been thoroughly sweated upon a second time.

But then i'm not opposed to doing tub laundry on the 1st/2nd day & letting it dry on a hook in the room- to wear later in the week. i plan to do a few undies/bras that way - as i will not wear a bra a 2nd sweaty day. it must be clean.

Is this crazy to ask? I'm SURE it's been broached on a thread before! I want to be a compact traveler & always try not to bring too much --- but i have this common germ/sweat phobia & hate to wear things over & over!!!!!!

I'm going to begin packing in 2 days, so i'm happy to hear any advice!

EWTBAC!!!!

There is a packing list in the FAQ thread near the top of this forum that includes everything anyone has found useful on a cruise.

Hi,
I dont know an exact amount for you to take, but I do the mix and match with dinner clothes.
Example: Take a skirt and top, then the 2nd time I wear the same skirt with a differnt top or put a jacket over the original blouse, maybe add a scarf around the neck. Looks like a new outfit. Then perhaps I will wear a dress twice, just adding a jacket the second time to change the look. The short amount of time I am wearing them, they dont get dirty.
I have one pair of long pants to just wear to the clubs at night because they are cool. I only wear them after dinner,so they dont get dirty or sweaty. I can wear them with different tops to change the look. But nobody in the clubs will remember what you have on, it is dark in there.
I usually take one pair of tennis shoes needed for some excursions to protect the feet, one pair dress shoes and one pair of sandals.
Of course with pirate night I do wear a pirate outfit to dinner on pirate night, so that takes care of another dinner outfit.
It is so easy to take too many things.
But with proper planning and some mixing ideas you can eliminate a lot of clothes. I usually take extra blouses because when sitting at dinner nobody knows what your wearing on the bottom of your outfit. That eliminates a few pieces of clothing.
You can always use the laundry once too. It doesnt take long to do one load.

good luck,
mom x4,grandma x4

Mix and match is the way to go. I figure the items I wear to dinner...I have on for maybe 1.5 to 2 hours max....so I have no problem wearing the same skirt to dinner on a 7 night cruise 2-3 times....I made the mistake the first cruise by packing a fresh new outfit for each dinner each night of our first cruise....By the second time I was much better......but still feel I could get away with even less. After you figure in your (1) Formal wear (2) Semi-formal wear and (3) Pirate wear...you only have 4 other evening to dress for...for that I figure one skirt and one pair of capris would be good (for me). During the day its shorts, tanks and swimwear.....with the swimwear being the item worn most on any given day. After all your on vacation...and whos really going to care if you wore the same skirt to dinner more than once???

Definitely bring more tops than bottoms. With neutral colored slacks or skirts you can change the top and look like you have a new outfit :thumbsup2

Also consider pictures. Whatever top you're wearing will show most in pictures. You can also pick up a t-shirt in the shops as souvenier.

I've never been on a 7 day, but I like to have a fresh shirt every day especially in the summer. If you don't mind doing laundry, pack half of what you'll need and wash midweek.

I have to pack a fresh shirt for each day & a dress for dinner each night. One reason is that it helps me keep the pictures straight as far as which pictures were taken which day. ;)

We always do shore excursions that involve swimming/snorkeling so on shore days I wear bathing suit with nylon shorts (quick drying) and tank top (men's from WalMart, solid colors, less than $5--cooler than a shirt). Often on sea days that's what I mostly wear, too. 3 bathing suits, so I always have a dry one. (They dry better in the room than outside unless it's sunny). I figure 2-3 pairs of shorts or capris on the ship with about 5 shirts. I've taken more shorts and never worn them. However, I set aside (and include in my packed clothes) a clean outfit for going home. I don't care if I look a little rumpled on the ship because everyone else is rumpled, too, and after all it's vacation so I'm OK with re-wearing even shirts that aren't sweaty. For dinners I take a long black skirt and black pants with different tops, shawls, scarves. One pair of shoes that go w/all dinner outfits.

so you're all saying that 2-3 pairs of shoes per day, plus the 2-3 outfits, and the "just in case I need it" extras are excessive?

I do have my own personal valet (that's why I invited hubby along) but I suppose storage in the room might be an issue) :laundy:

For me it's one formal dress (cocktail), one semi-formal (nice sun dress), one outfit for pirate night, 4 pairs of capris with nice tops (since I will probably be wearing them most of the evening I don't want to rewear them), some shorts & t-shirts, bathing suit & cover-up, flip-flops, white & black dressier sandals, sneakers & ankle socks & absolutely no nylons. Not to mention everything else I bring. Oh well I've tried to cut down but it doesn't work! :blush:

I've always been of the opinion that as far as the women go; the less clothes the better. Why flirt with that 50lb. limit the airlines impose anyway.

Par8hed said:
I've always been of the opinion that as far as the women go; the less clothes the better. Why flirt with that 50lb. limit the airlines impose anyway.

Good thing we can check 2 suitcases! That gives us 100lbs total...right? :rotfl2:

Dr. Scholl's shoes are best for walking especially if you have a problem with pain in your legs and back. Or try some sole inserts if you plan to wear closed shoes.

One formal dress should be good enough for the dinners.

I think it really depends on you. For some people, dressing up is a lot of the fun - so they want an outfit for each night. For other people one pair of black dockers, one pair of tan dockers and they are done (wear the black dockers on formal and semiformal night with a dressier shirt). Some people can get buy with a single pair of sandals that are flexible enough to go from pool to dinner. Other people discover that they need different shoes for three outfits, plus tennis shoes for the excursion, water shoes, and flip flops. Some people wear one swimsuit all week, and pretty much rinse it out in the tub each evening, put it on in the morning, and change for dinner. Other people (me) need at least two suits because we won't put on a wet suit, and will wear shorts in the morning, suit mid morning, shorts noon - mid afternoon, suit late afternoon, change for dinner. Some need swim coverups to match each suit, some say "swim coverup?" Some people will wear shorts two or three days - some need a new pair each day. As for shirts, I would suggest one a day for daywear unless you are a "swimsuit all day" person - the Carribean is warm and you'll probably feel a little sweaty - but they don't have to be anything substantial - tank tops, light weight t-shirts.

Remember that 50 lb per bag limit :rolleyes: and it's being pretty strictly enforced so pack well. I do wash on the ship -- I know, it's vacation BUT there are four of us and if each of us had two bags plus carry on (as you have to since you don't get your bags until later after boarding and also have to leave them out the night before disembarking) that's alot of bags in a not so big room -- and it seems even smaller on a 7-day. I tend to "black or khaki" to interchange for dinner. Daytime -- Im in my swimsuit or workout clothes. I bring one pair of khaki or black nice shorts if Im planning on a nice excursion. Shirts I interchage and just throw in the wash if needed. Especially if you are doing parks before/after, the amount of luggage can really become a hassle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter