Ladies...I need some info please.

I had one due to a scare in December. It wasn't pleasant, but I wouldn't list it among my top 5 most painful procedures either. I'm a DD.

As for procedure around it, I think that will vary. Mine was done in the UK, so my experience is likely useless to you.

Good luck. Try not to worry about it too much.

I think everyone here has pretty well described the range of experiences you might have. One thing to add: take a couple ibuprofen or acetaminophen about an hour prior to your procedure. Will help with any pain!

I was petrified to have my first one, as my Mom told me it hurt!

I was 40 when I had my first one, and I'm 55 now and have had one every year so 15 of them now and never, not once has it ever been the slightest bit painful or even uncomfortable.

Reason? I'm larger breasted than my Mom and the first time I had it done the technician said usually larger breasted women don't have the pain like smaller breasted women do.

As for the actual experience I have mine done at the hospital, and they have an x-ray (for all types of x-rays/tests) waiting room. I go there to register and wait, when the technician comes in and calls my name I go with her to a small mammography room. She hands me a gown and I take off my top and bra and put the gown on. She comes back a couple minutes later and does the mammogram. Then I sit and wait in that little room by myself until she comes back and either she says she's done and I can get dressed and leave, or she has to take a couple more pictures (that's only happened once or twice) then I'm on my way.

It is the ONLY medical test/procedure that I DON'T get nervous for! Piece of cake! Hopefully it will be as easy for you too.

I'm a C and don't think it hurts very badly. I would call it uncomfortable, not painful.

Once I leave the initial waiting room, I am always in a private spot.

Oh, I forgot the most important part!!!

Schedule a massage for later that day, or just afterwards. You are doing something nice for yourself so why not continue? I try to take that whole day off from work and do the mammygrammy, then massage, then a movie and then shopping if there is time in the day.

I'm a D cup and I think that this is one test where being larger is a blessing! My sister is a small B and she says it hurts because they have to pull and tug on hers to get them far enough on the square, but with mine, I'm able to just plop those puppies up there with no issues. The only time it has ever hurt was when I had to have a diagnostic mammogram done for lumps that were on my chest wall and they really had to squish my flesh to try and get it close enough to my breastbone to see. And even then it was more of a pinch, not pain. I will also say that being "less perky and more saggy" seems to make it easier, so I guess that makes up for my annoyance of gravity taking over when I lie on my back and my ****s end up in my armpits :rotfl2:

Op here. Thanks for explaining things. Is the pressure like getting your blood pressure taken? LOL

And is it a full gown that you usually wear during a physical because I hear it's a "short" one. I can just picture these size "J" ta-tas peeking out of the bottom of a short gown. LOL

I am also, um, large in that area (DD). I agree with most of the responses, the fear and anticipation is worse. It's uncomfortable, but making sure you schedule it between the end of your period and when you ovulate will help. I've had several and there's more discomfort than pain. The only time it really hurt was when they found something they needed to take a closer look at. Then they needed to position my breast in a funny way so it pinched. But even then, I'd rather get a mammo than go to the dentist!

As for the experience, I just went into the room, got undressed and put on a little paper vest thing, and then got dressed while I waited for the results. This was in a radiology place.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

is it much more invasive or similar to the regular mammogram? Thanks.

I'm a saggy D...breastfeeding 3 kids...lol...anyway the regular mammo was uncomfortable and hurt a bit afterwards. I think I'll take a couple advil before tomorrow. Good tip.

Trish

Oh honey don't worry. I have been having them forever because my Mom had breast cancer at an early age (40). As a side note, she died at 83 NOT from cancer. Yes it is a little painful, but really it's not that bad. I am big busted too and I don't know if it's worse of not. I have also had 3 biopsies, one surgical and 2 needle. I am very blessed with great doctors, nurses and hospitals.(Boston area) Even the biopsies (all negative!!) weren't bad because of all the great medical people. What I do is I always take 2 exedrin before my mamo. I think it helps. They will have you hold your breath while they take the "picture" and this helps I think since it takes your mind off it. Again don't worry. It's just one of those things that we have to do. You will be fine. Really!

I'm 47 and have had 5 or 6 mammograms, they usually aren't too bad.

I'm on the small size and I think they hurt more for smaller sized women, because there isn't as much to squeeze. For me, timing of my cycle is important, the week before my period is definitely out for mammograms, my breasts are more sensitive and sore at that time.

I did see a poster on the wall last time I went that said if you experience pain take tylenol an hour before the appt.

Earlier this year I had something that looked funny on my mammogram, so I had to go back for a recheck. The lady told me this would be a more detailed mammogram and they would squeeze tighter! :scared1: It hurt so bad, I almost cried!!! That was the first time that happened to me. Normal mammograms aren't as bad. Good luck! :goodvibes

Oh at all the clinics I've been to, they take you to a little room where you undress and than go in to the mammogram room by yourself, no one else is there besides the person doing the mammogram.

I just had one today. The tech was excellent and not one hurt. I've been doing these for years and sometimes I will get a good tech and sometimes I will get one where it "smarts" for a few seconds. The tech today told me the minute it starts to hurt, let her know which I never had to do.

Even if it is a little painful, it's only for a few seconds while the tech walks to the computer a few feet away and pushes the button. You have to hold your breath while they are taking the picture. The minute she pushes the button, the machine lifts off.

I was taken to a ladies only waiting room with dressing rooms. Changed into a cloth hospital type gown (left pants on) and sat with 2 other women for my name to be called. They have wipes for you to wipe off any deodorant and this tech made me do it again when I got into the mammogram room so she could see it done (that's never happened to me before). I've never felt odd sitting with other women in those gowns as we are all there for the same thing and we're all probably thinking the same thing anyway.

I'm going for my first ever mammogram. I don't know what the expect (except what I've heard from other people that it hurts). So I went online and read a few pieces of info from there. I'm just wondering if it's all the same everywhere.
I do have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

1--does the size of your breast matter? I'm big in that area and I have had many people at work say things like..."oh wait until YOU go and get one done. I'm not sure they have a machine big enough" Then I've had people tell me that it'll hurt more for me because of my size, I've had people tell me that it'll hurt less due to my size. So who knows. :confused3

2--the other thing that I read was this. A lady was giving a run down of how things run in her doctors office and I was wondering if this was the norm for everywhere. She said that once your name is called, you take off your bra & shirt and put on a little gown and then sit in a room with all the other ladies getting the same test done. Then when it's your turn, you do have it done and then go back into the same waiting room until they tell you that you're all set and can get dressed. Is this true?

What are your experiences?

Op here. Thanks for explaining things. Is the pressure like getting your blood pressure taken? LOL

And is it a full gown that you usually wear during a physical because I hear it's a "short" one. I can just picture these size "J" ta-tas peeking out of the bottom of a short gown. LOL

I have been having them for the past 25 years- went first time at 25 and have gotten them every year since. I was adopted so I have NO family history records at all so I had to start getting them early. I can't say I have ever had one that hurt- might be a tad uncomfortable but nothing painful.
Where I go is a Womens Imaging Center so only women at there. You go in the back- they give you a choice of gowns-ours are all cloth, no paper crap. You get a locker in your little cubicle to put your belongs and lock them up. They take you in the back, do the test, tell you right there if they need more pics or not and then send you on your way. I was in and out in 30 minutes--which is great because my job gives you 4 hours off with pay to get it done so I get half a day off!

I'm scheduled to go tonight. :crowded: I'm on the smaller side (darn it all) and I think they hurt like heck!! I just take a deep breath & grit my teeth, and by the time I'm ready to cry out, the machine will let up just in time, lol.

I think I'd rather have a pap than a mammo, lol.

Procedure seems the same as others. Go into a changing room. Put on a cloth gown that opens in front (hangs below hip area). Sit in waiting room with other women with arms crossed to keep that dang thing closed, lol, until I'm called into a private examination room.

I can't say I have ever had one that hurt- might be a tad uncomfortable but nothing painful.
Where I go is a Womens Imaging Center so only women at there. You go in the back- they give you a choice of gowns-ours are all cloth, no paper crap. You get a locker in your little cubicle to put your belongs and lock them up. They take you in the back, do the test, tell you right there if they need more pics or not and then send you on your way. I was in and out in 30 minutes--which is great because my job gives you 4 hours off with pay to get it done so I get half a day off!

Could have written this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm going for my first ever mammogram. I don't know what the expect (except what I've heard from other people that it hurts). So I went online and read a few pieces of info from there. I'm just wondering if it's all the same everywhere.
I do have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

1--does the size of your breast matter? I'm big in that area and I have had many people at work say things like..."oh wait until YOU go and get one done. I'm not sure they have a machine big enough" Then I've had people tell me that it'll hurt more for me because of my size, I've had people tell me that it'll hurt less due to my size. So who knows. :confused3

2--the other thing that I read was this. A lady was giving a run down of how things run in her doctors office and I was wondering if this was the norm for everywhere. She said that once your name is called, you take off your bra & shirt and put on a little gown and then sit in a room with all the other ladies getting the same test done. Then when it's your turn, you do have it done and then go back into the same waiting room until they tell you that you're all set and can get dressed. Is this true?

What are your experiences?
1. I am well endowed and while it is uncomfortable it is not excruciating or unbearable for the minute or two they are doing it.
2. That's how i's always been when I have gone.

Just so you know, if they call you back in after someone has looked at the films, don't panic. Sometimes they just like to do another shot because your positioning in the 1st shot wasn't ideal to see what they wanted to see, especially with larger more dense breasts. I have been called back several times and it has been fine each time. It does NOT mean that there is a problem.

Disney Doll said:
Just so you know, if they call you back in after someone has looked at the films, don't panic. Sometimes they just like to do another shot because your positioning in the 1st shot wasn't ideal to see what they wanted to see, especially with larger more dense breasts. I have been called back several times and it has been fine each time. It does NOT mean that there is a problem.

Most places have newer equipment and they no longer have to wait and call you back in. They see the instant they take the pic if they need another. The old days of getting them done they would take the pics and you would have to sit outside until they said "good" or "need another pic"-now they know instantly.

OP here. Well, I went and had it done. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The "sideways" squish was a bit worse. Got a call today though from the hospital and she said that there was an "asymmetry" between the breasts. I guess (from what I could understand) is that they want both of them to look as identical as possible but there seems to be something different in the left one. She also said that this could be normal for me? Who knows. So back I go next Wednesday.

Glad it wasn't as bad as you imagined.

Now, try not to worry too much about the call back. The vast majority of times there is absolutely nothing wrong. I have been poked and prodded 6 ways from Sunday and nothing was ever found yet:goodvibes

I have only ever had one Mammogram and it did hurt me immensely. I was shocked at how bad it hurt because nobody had ever told me that it might hurt. I wasn't expecting it. But from talking to other women, it doesn't hurt to everybody.

I have only ever had breast MRIs since then. No more Mammograms.

But the clinic where I had mine done they call in one person at a time and you go change into your paper top and come back in the room and get your Mammo, then you go get dressed and leave. I didn't have to sit in a room with any other women. But this is a small town and a small clinic. I don't know how they do it at bigger facilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter