Ladies, do you sport a "muffin top?"

Let's see that picture comparison Elaine... :p

Short person with big butt here. Mom jeans are my worst nightmare. :eek: Good grief, they're hideous on me!! Long live Lucky Brand lowrise with high heels!! As for muffin tops, that's a trend I'll never purposely attempt on my own.

I apologize. I do on ocassion sport a muffin top. I have the misfortune to have gained weight since I quit smoking 9 months ago, and am too poor to want to spend money on clothes that (hopefully!) won't fit me for too long. I have one pair of shorts and two pants that fit right now...and well, sometimes I can't do laundry that often, especially just my own.

I'll try to hide it with my big camaflage surplus shirt if I'm out in public though. :guilty:

Disney Doll said:
I have to disagree with you here.

The muffin top thing is bad, but those low rise jeans also make people's behinds look bigger. You are cutting your body off at its widest part!! Unless you are Nicole Ritchie, who is straight up and down, your butt looks big.

And by "your", I don't mean you specifically.
helenabear said:
I'll disagree that actually. The only thing low waisted jeans do is make some people look shorter. It all depends on the rise.

Honestly "mom jeans" adds height to the butt, making it look WAY bigger than it really is!!!!

As a shorty (5'ish) low waisted jeans paired with high heels and hip length shirts actually makes me look taller and more slender.

Mom jeans with tucked in shirts makes you look shorter and fatter.

I'm definitely not as straight as Nicole Ritchie, and my husband agrees... mom jeans are OUT and look awful!

Now I'm about to make myself look really fat and put on too big old mom jean cut offs so I can paint :p
Actually, give me low rise pants any day over "regular" rise pants. Low rise actually works better for me since I'm actually shorter than petite size at 4'7" and have a shorter rise, petite sized clothes still don't fit. Unfortunately for me, I also have a woman's curves and cannot wear little girl jeans.
So I enjoy being able to buy pants that actually "fit" me.

One problem too is that some women buy a size or 2 smaller because any larger size may be too long for them. Remember that generally in womens clothing, the higher the size, the longer the length. And many people either can't sew or can't afford to have every pair of pants hemmed.

Although I am in no way supporting showing the skin of the muffin top. I do believe that you can wear a shirt long enough to cover it up.

lucyblondecat said:
Low rise jeans look good on two types of people: 12 year olds, and celebrities who have all day and night to sculpt their Goddess like bodies. :rolleyes:

99% of the women who have thrown away their Mom jeans in favor of low rise jeans should really go through the dumpster and find those Mom jeans again because they are a lot more flattering. Since low riders hit the body at most woman's fattest part, right above the butt, its pretty likely you're gonna have a muffin top no matter who you are.
Actually, on me, they generally fit me at my waist. :rolleyes:
So they do look good on me as long as i get the right size and the right rise.

Oh. And I have a muffin top even when I'm naked. :teeth:

Uh huh... nice one there Laverne ;)

As for buying clothes because they are too long so you get a shorter length with a shorter size... as a 5' person, that isn't a wise idea. Hemming is only $10 and better yet, just wear high heels. Seriously $10 even on a $25 pair of jeans isn't all that much. Some places even do a hem for free.

My point about being short and wearing the shortest rise out there (5" or less) is still true. If you match your shirt to the waist band, you can shorten your legs and make you look short (if you are wearing flats). 6" give or take is usually a good minimum rise. Granted if you are really short, it might actually hit you in a normal place (a lower rise that is). The only good thing is lower rises can also lengthen the torso, so if you do that with heels and jeans that are 1/2" from the floor or so, you can make yourself look taller.

CheshireVal said:
Sounds like you haven't tried on the right pair of jeans.

Mom jeans are the most unflattering look in the world, while low-rise jeans can be really flattering if you choose the right cut.

I'm so high waisted and tall that if I tried to wear "mom jeans" the waistband would be at my bra! :scared1: Not pretty.

I was never able to wear women's jeans (I had to buy men's) until low-rise came in style.

Actually I have tried on all sorts of jeans in a variety of styles. I think I look best in neither "mom" jeans or "low rise" jeans, but somewhere in between. And I think 99% of women are the same way.

I'm sure there are exceptions (people who are a size 2, or very petite), but I think most women look best in a pair of pants that sit just a little below the waist. Having never seen anyone on the DIS, I can't say for sure if you are one of them. I do know I am though. And if I had to pick between "mom" jeans and low riders, I'd pick the mom jeans. At least in Mom jeans I am not emphasizing my lack of six pack abs or my big butt!!

CheshireVal said:
That's funny-- Gap jeans are really the only brand I've ever found that fit me. The biggest thing is that they are actually long enough for me (I need a 34" or 36" inseam), but I've also never had a problem with a gap in the back. I have several pairs of their long and leans and even curvy style! I get compliments on them all the time.

I went to a jeans boutique with a friend of mine last year, where nothing was under $100. I couldn't find a single pair in the shop that came in a long enough length. :rolleyes:

Gap jeans are about the only jeans long enough for me too!!! I've also gotten some from J.Crew that are long enough, but they were twice as expensive.

I don't exactly have a muffintop, though. Not a six-pack either. ;)

Yoo hoo, tag fairy! I believe I need a "Long live muffin tops" tag! :crazy:

I look much better in lowrise jeans than in mom jeans. I'm a size 4-6 petite but my butt is a bit low-slung and waist-high jeans just emphasize that fact! ALL of my pants--jeans, capris, and Macy's Style & Co slacks (which is all I wear to work!) hit a little below my naval.

BTW, I saw those British "What Not To Wear" ladies on Oprah & they said that nobody should wear high waisted/Mom jeans because they elongate your butt making it look twice as big. Just below the belly-button is most flattering on most people because it cuts the look of your butt in half. I tend to agree with them, especially if you don't want to look like you've come straight out of 1986. ;)

But cover up those muffin tops!!! :Pinkbounc

CheshireVal said:
I went to a jeans boutique with a friend of mine last year, where nothing was under $100. I couldn't find a single pair in the shop that came in a long enough length. :rolleyes:
This is a total side note, but in case your tax refund check comes in and you want to blow some on a nice pair of brand***** jeans... Try Rock'N'Republic. I'm not sure what the measurement is, but I'm 5'6" and wear ~ 4" heels, and the couple of RNR's I tried on were still dragging on the ground. The sticker shock is a killer, though, so steel yourself with a beverage first. ;)

Re Lucky's - my local store frequently has 50% off sales that include numerous styles. They're still not cheapo's, but that definitely helps.

Edited: Uh, oops! :blush: I did a search, and paid zero attention to the last post date. Sorry for the untimely resurrection!

Since we're resurrected, I'll just reassure everyone that all my bakery goodies are covered when I am out in public. :goodvibes

I wear mid rise jeans usually- the ones that come about an inch below the waist, - not mom jeans, but not muffin pan jeans either. Fit is important, too. A well fitting mid rise jean looks best on most people, I think. But for me the hard part is finding jeans that fit my waist and hips- most will be too loose in the waist if they fit my hips and thighs and too tight in the hips and thighs if they fit my waist. J. Lo jeans fit me best out of any company.

Oh, and as a high school teacher, I see a baker's dozen or more every day. It's terrible.

I'm going to reassure everyone that I don't mind about wearing muffin tops, and past Saturday, I went shopping while wearing one! :)

I know, i'm so bad! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter