Kumon Center?

Yes, DD and DS attend Kumon for the Math program!! We have been very happy with their progress. Both are strong at math, but we thought Kumon would strenghten their core math skills and move them forward quickly.

DD was in the reading program for a while. It was really good, but she is such a strong reader we felt she didnt need it. Also, having math and reading Kumon homework was too much for her in addition to schoolwork.

Yes, DD and DS attend Kumon for the Math program!! We have been very happy with their progress. Both are strong at math, but we thought Kumon would strenghten their core math skills and move them forward quickly.

DD was in the reading program for a while. It was really good, but she is such a strong reader we felt she didnt need it. Also, having math and reading Kumon homework was too much for her in addition to schoolwork.

Thanks for the reply. If you do not mind saying, how old are your children? I am thinking of doing this for my 4 year old. The center where I am has a junior program(I think that is what it is called). Also how many times a week do your children go?

My daugther just started Kumon this week. She is testing below average in school & I wish I would have signed her up @4.

Thanks for the reply. If you do not mind saying, how old are your children? I am thinking of doing this for my 4 year old. The center where I am has a junior program(I think that is what it is called). Also how many times a week do your children go?

Just curious, why would a 4 yr old need a program like this?

Just curious, why would a 4 yr old need a program like this?

For my son, and my reasoning for putting him in a program like this, although I have not done it yet, is bc he has a late bday, Aug 19, and I feel as though he is a tad behind academically compared to other children that are or will be in the same grade as him. The cut off date for Kindergarten where I am is Oct 1. He is eager to go to school and enjoys his pre-school but he has missed a lot of time bc of having Pneumonia and every other virus under the sun.
I think the Kumon center could perhaps help catch him up or just really build up some confidence. Hope that makes sense.

I have had several students experience success with the Kumon math program, but I'm not sure I would really recommend it for young children. It doesn't simulate the school learning experience at all, I would worry that it might turn your son off from learning and school. Is it a possibility to hold him out of K an extra year to give him time to catch up? Or to find a pre-K program that would get him more ready for school?

My daughter has a late bday as well...Dec 29th she made the cutoff by 2 days (so she is always around 6 months behind the pack). I can tell you that I have seen many 4yr olds in this program. Try it you need to give 1 month in advance if you want to cancel...it can't hurt to try.

I have had several students experience success with the Kumon math program, but I'm not sure I would really recommend it for young children. It doesn't simulate the school learning experience at all, I would worry that it might turn your son off from learning and school. Is it a possibility to hold him out of K an extra year to give him time to catch up? Or to find a pre-K program that would get him more ready for school?

I hear what you are saying about holding him back a year and we have talked about that but I am just not sure. My DH thinks less of that than I do for some reason. I think bc he will be 18 when he starts his senior year. I feel like I should give my DS a chance to succeed with classmates his own age or a little bit older than him. I really do not know what the right answer is. Everyone says only you know what is right for ur child but in this case I really don't.:confused3

My daughter has a late bday as well...Dec 29th she made the cutoff by 2 days (so she is always around 6 months behind the pack). I can tell you that I have seen many 4yr olds in this program. Try it you need to give 1 month in advance if you want to cancel...it can't hurt to try.

And ur right, it can't hurt and I am at least going to go see what they have to say.

I also sruggle with the fact that I didn't hold her back...but I really believe that she was ready socially for kindergarten...academically however everyday is a struggle...but this may have been true if I held her back or not.

Honestly, you just have to live with your choice & embrace it.

I also sruggle with the fact that I didn't hold her back...but I really believe that she was ready socially for kindergarten...academically however everyday is a struggle...but this may have been true if I held her back or not.

Honestly, you just have to live with your choice & embrace it.

I have said to my husband in the past couple of weeks that I wish I could change his bday so it is after Oct 1.:rotfl:

At a time like this I wish someone would say this is what you are going to do and thats that. No questions asked!!

Now that I think about it, I was one of the oldest kids in my grade I have a Jan bday...and school was relatively easy for me with minimal effort...I guess this is my mom getting me back!:rotfl2:

Now that I think about it, I was one of the oldest kids in my grade I have a Jan bday...and school was relatively easy for me with minimal effort...I guess this is my mom getting me back!:rotfl2:

That is my DD7, school is easy for her with minimal effort as well but she is the youngest in her class but I think there are a few younger than her with in her grade. Her bday is Aug 7. With her I knew to send her, no doubt in my mind but with DS, boy is the decision a hard one!

I wish someone had told me about Kuman years ago!!! And I think starting your 4 year old is wonderful. :thumbsup2

The work will NOT be difficult and they can start her off with only 5 double-sided pages a day, and increase it to the 10 double-sided pages later on. LOL - I just realized you posted this back in Jan.

My daughter is turning 12 and has been struggling with learning to read since JK. She's currently in Grade 5 and reading at a Grade 2 level. The schools out here have not done a damn thing really!

We started her in Kuman last October, and just this past month, (for the first time ever!), she is just grasping the concept of sounding out letters to read the words AND to spell words. This is something we have been struggling to teach her for years!

Last November I signed our DS6 up for the reading program as well. When he started Grade 1 in September, his reading level was only JK/age 4 (according to the teacher). When the mid-term report card came out (4 months after he started Kumon), his reading had advanced 3 levels! We believe by September (Grade 2) he will be at the current grade level.

My children go twice a week. Once the weather is warmer (and now that DS doesn't have swimming that particular day), I'm going to switch it to three times a week. Which is the most they can go as that is what our centre is open.

By the way, he loves it! It's so fun to watch his pleasure as he recoganizes words "within" words, and crosses out or adds letters to make a new word. :goodvibes

And though the program is "reading", it teaches much MORE than *just* reading. It's ALL aspects! It teaches the sounds of the letters, sounds of blended letters, compound words, trains the children *how* to sound out words to read & spell, spelling and even printing!

I'm going to sign them both up for the math portion when school is over. Each day they will be required to do their Kuman Reading & Math work, plus two 20 minute sessions of reading. And then enjoy the rest of their day.

I'm in Canada. I pay $90 a month x 2 children = $180.

This is for 1 subject, not both.

Someone asked about this before. Both Kumon and Sylvan are HUGE scams. They test your child low and then test them high to show improvement. You're best option would be to find a tutor through your childs school or even ask the teacher if they know of a retired teacher who may be looking for a few extra dollars. MOST teachers know someone who tutors and it will probably save you money. You can even call nearby colleges career services and request if they can post your search for a tutor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter