• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kudos to the Dolphin Resort

Thanks so much G-gang for your help. My youngest isn't a strong swimmer even though she's 9. We always feel better when she wears the lifevest on the slides. She'll be thrilled and won't be afraid either.

I do have another question. Is there a place to change near the Grotto pool. We feel kinda funny walking through the resort in our swimsuits. Just wondering if they had a place to change. Thanks again for your help :D

Muffy: I know this question has been asked to death...but I'll ask it one more time. When I called the Dolphin a few weeks ago to add my SPG number to the reservation, I was told it was impossible because it was a Hotwire reservation and that it could not be accessed by the operators. Is this true? Otherwise, would I stand a good chance of getting an upgrade just by presenting my SPG card when checking in? Believe me, though, I will be happy to stay in the broom closet at the price we got.

Thanks,

Tim E.
Dreamfinder's Other Concoction

They have restrooms located underneath the waterfall and by the outdoor cabana restaurant--you could change there.

Lisa

time101~ Yes, do present your spg card at check-in. If the resort isn't busy, you could receive an upgrade. I have received comp upgrades each time we have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin.

Hello all.
Could someone help please?
We are a family of 5.
We have stayed at ASM for the past 2 years and
got 2 rooms. Payed about 127.00 each room.
I would love to stay at the Swan or Dolphin.
2 rooms are just too $$$to get there.
Maybe one would be ok.
Should I book via hotwire (never done this before)
or is there a special code?
One more thing this is a present for the family shhhh:rolleyes:

Originally posted by time101
Muffy: I know this question has been asked to death...but I'll ask it one more time. When I called the Dolphin a few weeks ago to add my SPG number to the reservation, I was told it was impossible because it was a Hotwire reservation and that it could not be accessed by the operators. Is this true? Otherwise, would I stand a good chance of getting an upgrade just by presenting my SPG card when checking in? Believe me, though, I will be happy to stay in the broom closet at the price we got.

Thanks,

Tim E.
LOL...Move over, Tim~I'll be happy to share the "broom closet" w/you for $81 per eve! :p Forgive me for "jumping in" here, but I could not resist. I'm sorry about the omission of the date the changes take effect (I always think in terms of moi vacation...which is 300+ days away). BY ALL MEANS, "FLASH" the SPG card, and kindly request an upgrade. If one is available, they should oblige! And, if not...you can always just clear the mops and brooms...LOL! :p

Originally posted by dreamflight99
[Pkdcoastrs~The upgrades for rooms booked through discount sites are no longer available. Starwood recently implemented some CHANGES which drastically affect reservations made through discount sites such as HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, etc. These reservations will no longer be eligible for UPGRADES in the starwood properties. These rooms are offered on these sites because they are available "standard" rooms, without preferred view, balcony, etc.

The information regarding this update is available on the Starwood website. I received it in an email, and was actually "aware" it was coming for some time. Reservations made directly through the resort, or Starwood WILL remain eligible for upgrades, points, etc. , and are unaffected by this change in policy.

*NOTE: I would still "try" to obtain an upgrade at the desk/check-in. For this rate, it truly does not matter if you have a view/not. The Dolphin/Swan are wonderful properties. They are astounding Values at $65.00 per eve! ;)

Lisa,

if I am not mistaken (and I might be, LOL) the new policy takes effect January 1, 2004. I am almost certain that's what my letter from Starwood said.....

Effective January 1, 2004, Platinum level members are not eligible for any in-hotel benefits when booking through third-party channels, such as, but not limited to, priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, AOL Travel.com, msntravel.com, etc.

anyone booked cheap through the end of the year "should" be ok. according to availability, of course :)

G-gang

Thanks so much for the quick response. Both of the options would work out well. We also might wear t-shirts and shorts over our suits to the pool. With wet suits it's nice to know if we want to change theres a place close by the pool.

By the way, you brought a big smile to my DD's face when she read your post about the slide :D

Thanks,

Tammy

Originally posted by time101

Thanks,

Tim E.

to specifically answer your question--yes, it's true. the hotels can't add a SPG number to a priceline or hotwire reservation before check-in. Just have them add it at the front desk--and follow Mouseteacher and Dreamflight's advice :)

Does anyone know if upgrades are effected by reserving though a travel agency (DU). Will SPG points be awarded?

I have the $129 Nurses rate with DU. I started to reserve through the Dolphin website, but they didn't have my dates available, Dreams Unlimited did.

Originally posted by G-gang
My husband is a fireman so we qualified for the gov't rate of $129.00. As luck would have it we were able to get the Labor Day rate $99.00 which was being offered for the dates we were booked. We spent more on our 5-Day Hopper tickets then we did on our hotel stay.

My family really loved the view from the 17th floor-- you could see all around you. We did take some pictures before we moved to the 5th floor. We still had a great view and were closer to the pool.(The kids really liked that.)

What are the qualifications of "government rate"? I am a police dept employee (not an officer). Also were you charged anything extra with 5 people in room (2 adults 3 kids) since you didn' t use the roll away?

From previous history, I believe the requirement is a pay-stub or form that identifies you as being employed by 'city of....', 'county of' etc. The librarians in our city would qualify as they are actually employed by the City.

Our family is considering staying at the Dolphin next August. We will be needing 4 rooms, and 2 of my SILs should qualify for the Teacher's rate. Will we be able to get all 4 rooms at the discounted price? Can you book the $129 price directly thru the Dolphin, or do you have to go thru DU? My mom is a TA, so we wouldn't need another agent. Any advice will be appreciated! Trying to come up with a "ballpark figure" to tell everyone how much it's going to cost is more complicated than I thought!! But we still can't wait!!:p

Yes, I believe you can charge up to 3-4 rooms with your gov't rate discount. When we checked in they never asked to see any type of identification or stub from my husband. I may have faxed that information when I made the initial reservations back in Feb. I called the hotel directly when I made my ressies.

dorisdvu:

No, we were not charged extra since my 3 children were under the ages of 18.

Just a little tidbit. When we changed our room from the 17th floor to the 5th floor we recieved a water view room that was included with the Labor Day rate and they also gave us the balcony for free.

Hi! I was just wondering how long the slide is at the Dolphin- I know on the travel channel they said that the YC stormalong bay's is over 200 feet- wow! It would be nice if they featured the Dolphin resort on their sight...

When we checked in they never asked to see any type of identification or stub from my husband.

When we checked in last year they did ask to see proof of eligibility to use a gov't rate.

You can book up to 3 rooms on the teacher/gov't/nurses rate. I showed my state certification. You can call the resorts directly to book your rooms or spg or DU.

We will be needing 4 rooms, and 2 of my SILs should qualify for the Teacher's rate. Will we be able to get all 4 rooms at the discounted price?

If each sister books rooms, you will be able to get all 4. Each government employee can reserve up to three rooms.

Can you book the $129 price directly thru the Dolphin, or do you have to go thru DU?

You can book directly with the Dolphin, if you prefer.

..to everybody!

We'll be having our first family get-together next Sunday, so I'll be a little prepared to give some answers. Everybody's RAVES about the Dolphin should hopefully convince them its the right place to stay.

August can't come soon enough!

I have no clue how long the grotto water slide is, but it is winding and curvy and probably not as long as 200 feet! ;)

In answer to another question posed:

The water slide at the grotto pool does actually go fully self-enclosed for a very, very brief time. Children are allowed to wear life vests.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter