• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kudos to the Dolphin Resort

G-gang

Mouseketeer
Just got back from 9 days & 8 nights of a great WDW vacation. The Dolphin was awesome!!!!!!!

When we arrived we were put on the 17th floor with a great view-- but since I'm not a fan of heights we were relocated to the 5th floor with a balcony water view room at the $99.00 rate. We had a newly refurbished room with the heavenly beds. We also had turn down service every night-- the kids loved the chocolates. They are currently working on rehabing the 6th floor.

Despite all the hurricane warnings during our stay we never experienced any bad weather. We walked on to all the rides and were able to go swimming everyday. The kids loved the pool and the sand beach.

We will definately return to the Dolphin for future visits as it was an exceptional resort and the location was perfect to the Boardwalk and Epcot/MGM.

If you have any ?'s I'd be happy to answer them.

I am deciding between Dolphin or Swan, and any info you can give me on the pools, restaurants, experiences, would be of great help! We're you happy with the room? Do all the rooms have the Heavenly bed or is that just the Swan? How extensive are the renovations..we are going 3/23 - 3/30.

Thanks!

Glad you had a great stay!
I agree "exceptional" is a good word to describe the service and location of the S/D - and especially your $99 per night rate!
:)

From the moment we arrived at the Dolphin we knew we were getting the 5 star treatment. They were very understanding about my goofy fear with heights and were happy to relocate our room. The room on the 17th floor was still a very nice room even though it wasn't remodeled. They steam clean the carpets after each guest checks out--the room smelled great and was very clean. Our room on the fifth floor was also very clean and the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job maintaining our room. I'm not sure if the beds are heavenly beds like at the Swan, but they were definately brand new and luxurious. All the linen's are white including the comforter. The draperies were blue with white starfish. The wall paper was a light peach. The entrance to the room was a dark green slate floor. The lighting was great and the furniture is out of Ikea or Crate and Barrel.

My children ages 11, 8, & 6 loved the pool. It was large and had a great water slide and waterfall. The deepest part of the pool was 5 feet. They provide beach towels and life jackets at no extra cost. You can rent floats for $5. They also have a playground and and area where you can cool off on the beach with a cute seal that sprays water. You can relax on a hammock while keeping an eye on the kids. They also have an area right next to the pool where you can eat lunch or have drinks. We did this a lot and were able to charge everything to our room.

The only restaurant we visited in the resort was Tubbi's for breakfast which was very good and huge portions and the cabana outside by the pool which was good.

The whole time we were on vacation we kept saying what a wonderful resort this is and what a great deal we got. I would think by the time you go in March that most of the renovations will be complete. I highly recommend the Dolphin to anyone--it's got everything you could possibly want or need.

Were there 5 of you in one room? If so, where did everyone sleep?

Yes, there was 5 of us.

The 8 & 6 year old slept with me and the 11 year old slept with my husband. We tried it out the first night and everyone was comfortable and had a good nights rest so no need for the roll-a-way.

That's great. We are a family of 5. I just hate to rent a beautiful room then mess up the look with a roll away!

How exciting that you got a renovated room for $99/night. Does know if that deal will ever come along again?

Sweet Pea--Renovations are supposed to be done by the first part of next year, but I don't know if they will fall behind schedule. You have a pretty good chance of getting a renovated room by the end of March though. The new Dolphin rooms have Heavenly Beds, but the Sheraton calls them something like Sweet Slumber.

G-Gang~ Thanks for the report and I'm glad you had a magical stay at a fab rate. As you can see by my avatar, I don't need to let you know how I feel about the S/D resorts. :D

We stayed at the Dophin prior to renovations and just loved it. Especially the location. We would like to go in April. How did you get the $99/night rate? Was it through priceline? Please advise. Thanks

The Dolphin is getting Heavenly Beds. I called a few weeks ago and was told they never heard of Sweet Sleepers. The person I spoke with was positve they have Heavenly Beds for the renovation. G gang, so glad to hear you enjoyed the Dolphin with your family! Welcome back!

We have gone to the Dolphin for THREE straight summer vacations! It NEVER lets us down!

This summers trip was last minute after we were able to get the $65.00 rate on Hotwire!!!!! We were in renovated room that faced the bus stop, but the only reason this happened was because we checked in at 1am after being delayed at the airport for hours. The room view had nothing to do with the price...so don't go worrying if you have say the $99.00 rate etc...as you can see the original poster had a great room!

Last year we were on the second from the HIGHEST level of the hotel! We stayed in Club originally, but didn't like the view/room so we switched, but kept the club amenities.

The first year we had a 3rd floor room facing the Yacht Club/Beach Club/EPCOT !!

Our rates have been great each year...

First year - $99.00 teachers rate
Second year - $65.00 Sheraton Vistana tour special
Thirs year - $65.00 Hotwire.com !

Now how can you beat that! If it wasn't for those rates, my parents would never have agreed to go three years in the row!

Paying $300.00 plus for the Grand Floridian is such a joke, our stay there was horrible two years ago. We only paid $199.00 with a special rate, but Disney's own "flagship" resort was not clean or as perfect as they claim. The Dolphin BLEW it away!

My husband is a fireman so we qualified for the gov't rate of $129.00. As luck would have it we were able to get the Labor Day rate $99.00 which was being offered for the dates we were booked. We spent more on our 5-Day Hopper tickets then we did on our hotel stay.

My family really loved the view from the 17th floor-- you could see all around you. We did take some pictures before we moved to the 5th floor. We still had a great view and were closer to the pool.(The kids really liked that.)

Welcome back G-gang :wave:

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Dolphin. We are staying at the Swan for the first time over Thanksgiving with their great AP rate.

I do have one question regarding the slide at the Grotto Pool. In some pictures it looks like the slide is partially enclosed. Is this true? Do you know if kids are allowed to wear life jackets on this slide? Thanks :D

Originally posted by Muffy
The Dolphin is getting Heavenly Beds. I called a few weeks ago and was told they never heard of Sweet Sleepers. The person I spoke with was positve they have Heavenly Beds for the renovation. G gang, so glad to hear you enjoyed the Dolphin with your family! Welcome back!
:wave: Hi, Muffy!~
Yes...the Dolphin IS getting the sweet sleepers. They are "exactly" the same as the heavenly beds, both manufactured by SERTA. The folks/staff at the Dolphin merely refer to them as the heavenly beds, as these two properties are being refurbed "back to back" (with the Dolphin following on the tail of the Swan). If the Dolphin were refurbed first...the SWAN would be getting the SWEET SLEEPERS! LOL....they are merely "named" differently due to the WESTIN/SHERATON difference. So...in retrospect, they are INDEED both "Heavenly" beds! ^_^

Pkdcoastrs~The upgrades for rooms booked through discount sites are no longer available. Starwood recently implemented some CHANGES which drastically affect reservations made through discount sites such as HOTWIRE, PRICELINE, etc. These reservations will no longer be eligible for UPGRADES in the starwood properties. These rooms are offered on these sites because they are available "standard" rooms, without preferred view, balcony, etc.

The information regarding this update is available on the Starwood website. I received it in an email, and was actually "aware" it was coming for some time. Reservations made directly through the resort, or Starwood WILL remain eligible for upgrades, points, etc. , and are unaffected by this change in policy.

*NOTE: I would still "try" to obtain an upgrade at the desk/check-in. For this rate, it truly does not matter if you have a view/not. The Dolphin/Swan are wonderful properties. They are astounding Values at $65.00 per eve! ;)

G-Gang~Thanks for the great post. The WDW Dolphin is a fabulous resort, with a dedicated staff, and convenient amenities. I'm pleased you all had a MAGICAL time while at the Dolphin. We consider it a second home, and one of our absolute FAVORITE places to stay in the WORLD (of DISNEY).

My dd who is 6 always wore her life jacket in the pool and that included going down the water slide. There is a lifeguard at the top of the slide and another stationed at the bottom of the slide and they said it was fine--I think they prefer that they wear it if your child is not a strong swimmer. You won't be breaking any rules. There is a rope that divides that area of the pool only so those who go down the water slide don't collide with other guests in the pool. I hope this helps.

dreamflight99: Isn't it true that the Starwood program changes you referred to don't kick in until 1/1/04? I think I remember reading that on another thread. I certainly hope this is true because we're staying for an $81 Hotwire rate in November. And you know what? I CAN'T WAIT!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Tim E.
Dreamfinder's Other Concoction

time101, Yes, the changes take affect 1/1/04. You are all set for Nov.! Give them your SPG member number and have a great time!

Glad you had a great time at the Dolphin!! We will be going back for a 3rd stay next June......can hardly wait!!!:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter