• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kudos to SWA pilot! Turbulent flight woes

jessgood1

Earning My Ears
OMG! Returned last night from a week in WDW. Had a great time but the flight back was a nightmare. Encountered lots of turbulence. Bumpier than any ride I was on at WDW! The pilot actually shouted (as subdued as possible) for "Everyone in seat now, buckle seatbelts!" Several of the crew members were jostled to the floor. Overhead the pilot say (as we were disembarking) that he has never seen anything like that in his life (EEKS!) Needless to say I'm GLAD to be on the ground and it's nice to be home. Thinking of sending a letter of praise to SWA for their pilot ;)

yike, I would have been throwing up as I am plagued by motion sickness lately. :faint: SWA does seem to have fine pilots. I had the pleasure of caring for a retired pilot not to long ago. He was such a calm, cool and collected man, must be in the blood.
Glad it all turned out well for you.

Scary!! I probably would have just about passed out. The kids would have loved the ride, though!

BTW, we have several friends who are SWA pilots and I would trust them with my life any day.

I agree 100% about SWA pilots.

I was on a business trip about a year ago, flying from RI to Tampa. We encountered SEVERE turbulence over the Carolinas, as we were nearer the back of the plane, it was like a bad bad carnival ride. *ugh* However, the pilot came right on, told us all it was was turbulence, and it would take him as long to fly out of in and around it, as it would to just keep plowing straight through. He increased our speed a bit to get us through, and in 15 minutes it was over. The fact that he kept us posted made this somewhat nervous traveller feel much better.

Originally posted by jessgood1
OMG! Returned last night from a week in WDW. Had a great time but the flight back was a nightmare. Encountered lots of turbulence. Bumpier than any ride I was on at WDW! The pilot actually shouted (as subdued as possible) for "Everyone in seat now, buckle seatbelts!" Several of the crew members were jostled to the floor. Overhead the pilot say (as we were disembarking) that he has never seen anything like that in his life (EEKS!) Needless to say I'm GLAD to be on the ground and it's nice to be home. Thinking of sending a letter of praise to SWA for their pilot ;)

I think sending a letter would be a GREAT thing to do. I am sure it would be welcomed and they could put it in his pesonal folder.
Those pilots are awesome and a lot of fun.

I've never flown Southwest, but it sounds like the pilots are a great bunch. A good pilot can really smooth things over, even in rough times. On our ATA flight last Monday morning, we were supposed to take off at 7:21 a.m., but we were stuck at the airport for literally HOURS because of weather. Once we finally got going, the flight attendants announced that the pilot had told them everyone's first cocktail would be free due to the inconvenience. I know they can't control the weather, but I thought that was really nice.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We are flying SW on our next trip in January. Glad to hear the pilots are great.

My fiance Ted flew SWA on Wednesday the 19th from MCO to BWI for a business trip. There was a TERRIBLE line of storms all up and down the east coast. There was a tornado watch for our county. They took off just in the nick of time, but he said the flight was very bumpy.

His SWA pilot warned them ahead of time, and asked them all to return to their seats a couple of times. He did a great job, and Ted reported that it "wasn't that bad" probably due to his excellent pilot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter