Kristen Hannah fans, are you reading Four Winds and what do you think?

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
She is probably my two top favorite authors and you've gotta help me here. I am on page 65 and I'm so afraid to say this, but I can't get into this book??!! Its so depressing. The beginning of meeting her husband was not believable. Without giving anything away, tell me its worth going on? I adored her other books, Nightingale my top favorite. Help!

What a timely thread! I just told my husband that I had a book I was going to read on my Kindle this weekend and this is it! Hoping to start it tonight.

I would agree with her being one of my favorite authors, so I am sad to hear this.

Do you think it is the fact that the topic is somewhat a downer that is the problem or is it the writing style? I have had problems before with books that were just emotionally too much and that has either made me not like them as much as I should have or even abandon them.

What a timely thread! I just told my husband that I had a book I was going to read on my Kindle this weekend and this is it! Hoping to start it tonight.

I would agree with her being one of my favorite authors, so I am sad to hear this.

Do you think it is the fact that the topic is somewhat a downer that is the problem or is it the writing style? I have had problems before with books that were just emotionally too much and that has either made me not like them as much as I should have or even abandon them.
So I think it’s a bit of both. She didn’t have us grow into her character and then, boom she meets out of the blue, her instant husband. Way too fast for me, it wasn’t credible. But, I have so much faith in this author, that the story will eventually get good, and that is why I’m hoping someone will say it does!

I haven't checked out this book. Chiming in to say I have enjoyed some of Kristin Hannah's older books. Comfort and Joy is my very favorite! I wish it had been a bit more religious and also lasted longer (I did not want it to end) but what a sweet and well told story! Do any of you know whether she ever wrote a sequel to this? I remember also liking her book The Things We Do For Love. I hope any of you reading Four Winds come to enjoy it :)

Several of her books I have had a hard time getting into but I always enjoy them in the end. I have not started this one yet, so I can't say.

A little off topic but I started watching Firefly Lane based on her book on Netflex last night, loving it so far! Never read the book so I cannot compare.

A little off topic but I started watching Firefly Lane based on her book on Netflex last night, loving it so far! Never read the book so I cannot compare.

I just finished watching today and really liked it. From the things they left things, there better be a season 2. I read the book years ago so I can’t remember much about it. I follow Kristen Hannah’s FB page and a lot of her “ fans” were grumpy and very critical of the changes from the book. I guess it helped that I didn’t remember much about it anymore but I thought it was a good series.

I need to look for Four Winds now. I love her books but haven’t read one in awhile.

I second the perfect timing of this thread!! I’ve never heard of this author but someone on the WW app was talking about it yesterday and it caught my eye.

I haven't started this new one yet, but I love Kristin Hannah. Great Alone is one of my all time favorites.

I loved the Nightingale and just recently read “True colors ” about the 3 sisters and a horse farm. It was good, but different . I’ll have to try some of the other books now.

I just finished it and as I posted on the reading challenge thread I really wanted to love this book. I just didn’t. Maybe it’s because I loved The Nightingale and The Great Alone so much, I couldn’t help but be disappointed, lol. But like the OP said, it’s depressing right from the beginning.

Finished the book a few days ago. I too was looking for a little more character development-agree that meeting her ”husband” was too fast, predictable and didn’t ring true. I thought the “dust bowl” setting was interesting and the move to California and what happened there was interesting from a historical context, but the book was not deep enough enough for me and didn’t seem to really go anywhere.

I loved The Nightingale so much, it could be one of my top favorite books. But I did not enjoy The Great Alone at ALL. I’m wondering how I’d feel about Four Winds.
It’s funny how some authors can be such hits and yet such misses with me. Elizabeth Berg is another one. Usually if I like an author, I like everything they write.

Checking back, since I have finished reading Four Winds. Overall, I have liked the other works I have read by this author more overall, I would say. Yes, it is depressing from the beginning, but even more than that, I could just really not get into too many of the characters. OP, I agree with you about how she met her husband so suddenly and he never really seemed likeable to me.

The ending too, at least for me just seemed odd. All of that and I am supposed to believe the main character suddenly became an activist? Anyway, I do not want to give anything away, but I was just not particularly satisfied with the book. Don't get me wrong, I read it and fairly quickly at that. It just never turned into they type of book I was hoping for.

I’m halfway through. Couldn’t put it down last night until I forced myself to go to bed at 1:30!

I started watching Firefly Lane and kept telling myself that I had seen it before. 😄 Then I found out it was based off of her book. It's been awhile since I read it and it does seem there are differences between the book and the series but I'm okay with it.

I decided to read Firefly Lane, not watch the series until I finish it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter