Kona, The Wave, or Whispering Canyon

mrsp1030

DIS Veteran
Looking for a nice dinner for one night during our trip. We are staying at the Poly...just me, my mom and my DS: 3 years. Wanna go after our AK day so was looking at these 3 as an option.

I'd go with Kona. It's our tradition and we've never had a bad meal there.

I would say not Whispering Canyon--it's pretty noisy even though the WL is a beautiful resort and they are starting construction at the Lodge at the end of this month anyway. So, the other two--I love the Wave and I haven't been to Kona, but Kona is in my absolutely favorite resort. I usually can't afford the Poly, but I always make time to go and hang out there. I'm actually going to Kona this December so it's good to see that at least 2 people love it. I think you can't go wrong with either Kona or the Wave. Have a great time--I'm sure you will with your stay at the Poly!!!!!!! I'm definitely, totally JEALOUS!

Normally of the three, my pick would be Whispering Canyon but I don't know if it would go over well with your group. Your son would be too young to take part in or understand the antics, which is part of the appeal of the restaurant. And because of that, it would probably just be a loud and annoying meal for the three of you. So with that in mind, I'd go with Kona.

I would have actually said The Wave hands down.

Whispering Canyon is fine, but it's more about the antics. If you're not into that, the food itself is okay but nothing special. We've been a few times over the years and this past August, we all decided we were done for a while.

Ate dinner at Kona last year and it was meh. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Seems like you're sitting out in the open in the lobby, kind of loud and distracting. Had heard wonderful things about it and just wasn't that impressed.

Had lunch at The Wave this past August and LOVED it. There's not a lot of theming or anything really special about the atmosphere. But it's quiet and relaxed. Perfect break from the parks. The food was amazing! Yes, two of us just had burgers--but they were the best burgers we've had in a LONG time! My oldest DS had a BLT--bacon, lobster, and tomato. It came out with these huge pieces of real lobster. He gobbled down every single bite. Husband has some sort of curry vegetable stew that he said was delicious. Desserts were great. Service was wonderful. Just really enjoyed everything about it. Feel like this is kind of a hidden gem that doesn't get as much press on the boards as some other restaurants. Definitely can't wait to go back and try dinner there!

I really like both Kona and the Wave. The Wave is definitely a more relaxing atmosphere to me though, since Kona is open to the lobby hotel area.

I really like both Kona and the Wave. The Wave is definitely a more relaxing atmosphere to me though, since Kona is open to the lobby hotel area.

I agree. I really like Kona for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner I like the style of The Wave. Next to the bar area are two lounges where you can wait before your called for your reservation. The round couches, the blue theme and lighting, and the atmosphere are really neat if you love the 60's contemporary style as I do. The dining room is nicely decorated and when we were there relatively quiet even though it was mostly full, and the Atlantic Swordfish and Black Grouper we had were both well prepared and very tasty. The tenderloin is always well prepared as well when I've had it and is reasonably priced (compared to cali grill for example).

Whispering Canyon is fun and loud, and I enjoy it for breakfast when staying at the Wilderness Lodge, but if you ask for ketchup....well, you asked for it..:)

I'd choose Kona over WCC and The Wave. WCC, as noted, is very loud and a lot of activities. I like The Wave but my only problem is that it just doesn't feel special or particularly like you are in WDW. There's no windows or view of anything. Kona on the other hand has the awesome bread with their dinner service. I'd go there for that alone!

We've been to WCC for lunch or dinner and weren't impressed. May have been an off day for our waitress but I don't remember the food even being too memorable. Haven't eaten at The Wave and haven't had dinner at Kona but we have had breakfast at Kona which is AHHHH...MAZING!! So I would vote for Kona.

As much as I love WL(if you have time and never been, its worth taking the time to see)I cant say WCC is worth the time to take just to eat. Kona and The Wave are very good. Allow about 15-20 mins from Poly on monorail if you go too The Wave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter