Kona or Ohana?

DarthDuck

Earning My Ears
OK, we're going to be at MGM on 6/1, we plan on hanging out there, then going to dinner somewhere and then heading to the MK afterward for evening EMH (no need to give your opinions on EMH, it seems to be a vicous circle :confused3 ) so I was thinking of parking at the MK lot then taking the Mono over to Polynesian and eating at either Kona or Ohana then afterwards taking the Mono over to the MK.

So my question is, it will be my B-Day (30th) so which place should I go to? And is this plan viable?

Thanks!

Also, if there are any other Mono accessible restaurants you would recommend over either, please let me know. Thanks again!

My recommendation is for Kona. Food is absolutely delicous. We love the crab cakes, Asian Shrimp Noodles, Mahi-Mahi, Macadamia Nut Tart, and the White Chocolate Cheesecake. Of course, you should start your meal at the Tambu Lounge with a Lapu Lapu!:woohoo:

Mrs. Disney Ron

My recommendation is for Kona. Food is absolutely delicous. We love the crab cakes, Asian Shrimp Noodles, Mahi-Mahi, Macadamia Nut Tart, and the White Chocolate Cheesecake. Of course, you should start your meal at the Tambu Lounge with a Lapu Lapu!:woohoo:

Mrs. Disney Ron

Thanks sounds like a good plan! Thanks for the response!

My response would be 'Ohana. This is our favorite place to eat. My boyfriend and I at there two years ago for my birthday (we are in our 40's). We told them when we made the reservations it was my birthday and then again when we checked in. At the end of the meal I got a special birthday cupcake and had all the CM's sing me Happy Birthday. I love both places to eat but 'Ohana seems like so much more of a celebration.

By the way, we LOVE EMH at MK in the evening. We did this last year on Easter - the park was open until midnight and we stayed until 3:00 am. There is nothing like being in the park at 3:00 in the morning. All the rides were empty.

Happy Birthday
Linda

You're plan seems viable to me. I've only been to Ohanas for breakfast a few times (doing dinner this year), but let me say that last summer we tried Kona for the first time for dinner and we all loved it (kids too) that we also ate breakfast there that trip. We went back for lunch when we went at Xmas and are having Breakfast & Dinner there again this summer. It's now a favorite. So I vote Kona..all the way. They had a really yummy BBQ at lunch.

Kona hands down!!!! IMO the food at Kona is a step above 'Ohana in quality and taste. We enjoyed our meal at 'Ohana but we LOVED our meal at Kona.

We're staying at the Poly. We are looking forward to trying the Kona, and may just go for Ohana, too.

I liked Kona, and we had a large group too. So if you have a large group, they will make it work. Our waiter was very nice and the food came out quickly also. Have fun and enjoy!

I have never been to Kona, but have been to Ohana's and it is to die for!! The food is unbelieveable. If you are using the dining plan Kona's is 2 points and Ohana's is 1, so that can sway your vote too. I have heard good thigns about Kona, but I have never eaten there. If you have children traveling with you, Ohana's is good because they have cocnut races, limbo and many other games to keep the children entertained. Godo choice(s) for your 30th birthday! Happy early birthday!

I have never been to Kona, but have been to Ohana's and it is to die for!! The food is unbelieveable. If you are using the dining plan Kona's is 2 points and Ohana's is 1, so that can sway your vote too. I have heard good thigns about Kona, but I have never eaten there. If you have children traveling with you, Ohana's is good because they have cocnut races, limbo and many other games to keep the children entertained. Godo choice(s) for your 30th birthday! Happy early birthday!

Kona is a 1 TS restaurant not 2.

Argh! :confused3

You guys seem pretty split on the subject. I made ADR's at Kona, but didn't know anything about the activities and I will have my DD4 there... Guess I can still change them to 'Ohanas but I'm still not completely convinced that I should....

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Great games, great music, great food and a wonderful desert. Plus depending on what time you go you can watch Wishes from your table. Ask for a table in the main dining room by a front window. They can't guarantee it but may be swayed if you are wearing your birthday button.

The food at Kona is great also but 'Ohana seems more like a place to celebrate.

Linda

We have done both and I would not go back to O'hana's. But, Kona is one of my favorite restaurants after going there for the first time last summer.

OK, changed to Ohana for the atmosphere. Anyone know around what time Wishes starts during the Summer, well 6/1? I doubt we'll see it from the Ohana's since the ADR is at 7, but since we're headed for the MK right afterwards thought we might catch it afterwards.

I cant decide which looks better, Ohana or Kona. I notice Ohana has big tables. Do they make smaller tables when its just two people (me and my DH) or would they seat us at a smaller table and serve us smaller portions than the "family style" portions? Anyone know?

OK, we're going to be at MGM on 6/1, we plan on hanging out there, then going to dinner somewhere and then heading to the MK afterward for evening EMH (no need to give your opinions on EMH, it seems to be a vicous circle :confused3 ) so I was thinking of parking at the MK lot then taking the Mono over to Polynesian and eating at either Kona or Ohana then afterwards taking the Mono over to the MK.

So my question is, it will be my B-Day (30th) so which place should I go to? And is this plan viable?

Thanks!

O'hana is more of a fun atmosphere but that's really all. Kona has MUCH better food and has a more romantic atmosphere (if that's what you're going for). I vote for Kona!

I have read of some people not liking 'Ohana but we have always loved it. As far as romantic dinner I think somewhere in this thread they have a 4 year old with them so 'Ohana would be great for the games.

On June 1 the MK is open 9:00 am till 10:00 pm. SpectroMagic is at 9:00 and Wishes is at 10:00. There are EMH in the evening so park will close to resort guests at 1:00 am.

If you have dinner at 7:00 you could possibly make it to MK by 9:00 for SpectroMagic - it would be close. If you make it in time and want to watch the parade I would recommend watching it from the Exposition Hall. This is the store to the right as you come out of the tunnel for the railroad. Then you can just go to the middle of main street to catch Wishes. If you are a resort guest make sure to get a wristband as you enter the park and stay for the EMH. I believe you said you have a little one with you but at least stay for a while and give the EMH a chance to see if you can get on any rides.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter