Kona dinner with kids?

stitch34

DIS Veteran
What's it like there? Is it more of an adult restaurant or formal atmosphere? I'll be with an 8, 6 and 6 year old. Menu looks good, and thought would eat over there, then down to the beach to watch the electric water pageant at 9 and MVMCP fireworks at 9:30. I think my daughter would rather do Planet Hollywood:) , but thought it would be a good choice since we want to see the fireworks. Is this a good choice for dining with the kids - or any other ideas where to dine our last night, seeing that we want to see the fireworks. thanks!

Kona is great for kids, not very fancy at all. The food is generally better than Planet Hollywood (although very different) and its a heck of a lot quieter.

Kona is a great choice with kids :goodvibes. As the pp said...not fancy at all; and the food is awesome (especially their prime rib and filet....just melts in your mouth ::yes::). Go and enjoy :).

Let me start by saying the we are foodies and have usually have a hard time finding a decent dinner in Disney. But, the exception to the rule is Kona!! We've had dinner at Kona since our daughters were 7 and they are now 12. In our opinion, this restaurant is a Disney hidden gem. It's often overlooked because it doesn't have characters and is relatively small compared to other places. This is one of the few places that we can truly relax at the end of a long day and sit down and talk as a family. It's not loud and crazy like Planet Hollywood (and way better food). The steaks are great and so are the potatoes and veggies. We ate here last year on meal plan and getting the apps was to much food. We are glad that apps are no longer included as they just make us to full to enjoy our dinner.

Although not on the dinner menu, they always let my daughter order a burger. The desserts are wonderful and look great too! You can see them on display before you order them which we find very helpful. We tend to order the desserts to go (minus the ice cream) and eat it later as a late-night snack.
Great idea to watch the electric light show or fireworks from the beach area - we love to do that. Go early and grab a hammock. We also enjoy shopping for pins and small trinkets atE the gift shop right across from Kona and the clothing store on the lower level has some great things too and it's off the beaten path.
We'll be at Kona in November!

Kona is one of my must go back to choices. I have a 2, 4 and 6 year old who loved it too!

We eat there almost every Disney trip, and always take the kids with us!

Here was my 3-year-old on our last trip there in November of 2007:

noah_at_kona.jpg

Let me start by saying the we are foodies and have usually have a hard time finding a decent dinner in Disney. But, the exception to the rule is Kona!! We've had dinner at Kona since our daughters were 7 and they are now 12. In our opinion, this restaurant is a Disney hidden gem. It's often overlooked because it doesn't have characters and is relatively small compared to other places. This is one of the few places that we can truly relax at the end of a long day and sit down and talk as a family. It's not loud and crazy like Planet Hollywood (and way better food). The steaks are great and so are the potatoes and veggies. We ate here last year on meal plan and getting the apps was to much food. We are glad that apps are no longer included as they just make us to full to enjoy our dinner.

Although not on the dinner menu, they always let my daughter order a burger. The desserts are wonderful and look great too! You can see them on display before you order them which we find very helpful. We tend to order the desserts to go (minus the ice cream) and eat it later as a late-night snack.
Great idea to watch the electric light show or fireworks from the beach area - we love to do that. Go early and grab a hammock. We also enjoy shopping for pins and small trinkets atE the gift shop right across from Kona and the clothing store on the lower level has some great things too and it's off the beaten path.
We'll be at Kona in November!

Thank you for the review and the dining advice. We had the DDP two years ago and can't wait to go back in September to experience more adventures in Disney Dining. We love spending time at the Poly, and had a BAD experience at Ohana, so we thought lets try Kona. Mmmm steak, we had a good one at LeCellier last time but wanted a new experience for our "steak" day.

Thanks for the info!
I now had it between Kona Cafe on our last night - or 1900 Park Fare. I think the kids would love 1900 Park Fare - but actually Kona will be a lot cheaper for us to do (no dining plan on our last days because doing a split stay!) Also, buffets are a horror to do with my autistic son - me with three kids trying to fill up plates for all of us at once, while struggling to hold onto my son's hand - ugh! Trying to limit the buffets, and am looking for more sit-down dinners. So from everyone's helpful responses, Kona it will be!

Kona is our favorite and one we never miss. It's been our ds favorite since we first ate there when he was 8(he is now 17). Great choices for meals and especially the desserts!

Connears

We have eaten at Kona a few times with small children and have all enjoyed it. We have had great food and service each time - its one of our favorites!

Thanks for the info!
I now had it between Kona Cafe on our last night - or 1900 Park Fare. I think the kids would love 1900 Park Fare - but actually Kona will be a lot cheaper for us to do (no dining plan on our last days because doing a split stay!) Also, buffets are a horror to do with my autistic son - me with three kids trying to fill up plates for all of us at once, while struggling to hold onto my son's hand - ugh! Trying to limit the buffets, and am looking for more sit-down dinners. So from everyone's helpful responses, Kona it will be!

We did not have a nice dining experience (food quality poor) at 1900 park fare but did have decent character interaction; the room layout and the minimal amount of characters was a disappointment though.

Not sure about your dining plans for your entire vacation but Whispering Canyon Cafe is really delicious food, and fun for the kids as well. The skillet works for a variety of appetite's and you can also order off the menu if needed.

Good luck:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter