• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kona Cafe/Nut allergy?

gingerfeathers

DIS Veteran
My soon-to-be DH and I are going to WDW in September for our honeymoon. :cloud9: Anyway, I know you can make Disney aware of a nut allergy prior to arrival, but I was curious what restaurants I should avoid? I am allergic to all of them: peanuts/almonds/walnuts/you name it.

We have reservations right now at the Liberty Tree Tavern, Kona Cafe (we're staying at the Poly), Le Cellier, and Rainforest Cafe. I've been looking at menus, but with them all apparently changing, I need to know: Is there anything safe for me to eat at Kona (I should mention, I also don't eat seafood)? I really want to be able to eat there, but I'm getting a little worried.

Also, any other restaurants I should just stay away from in general? I've managed to stay away from any peanut-related hospital visits for over 13 years now, and I'd kind of like to keep it that way, particularly on my honeymoon. :)

Kona has some steak and pork chop dishes on the menu that should be fine. Did you have your allergies noted on your ADRs? If not, call back and add the info. When you get to a restaurant, the chef will come to your table and discuss safe options for you. They can even modify some menu items if there's something in particular you want, but the side dish, sauce or garnish isn't safe. As the mom of 2 kids with nut allergies, we avoid the Asian restaurants, because of heavy use of nuts and nut oils in cooking. We don't go to them in the real world, so it's not a big deal to skip them at Disney. I've heard mixed info on the African restaurants. It seems to depend on the chef on duty, so we haven't tried them either. Wolfgang Puck restaurants use peanut oil for cooking and in the pizza crusts.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Disney is a fabulous honeymoon place and the best vacation destination for folks with food allergies. They do a terrific job helping to keep their guests safe. :goodvibes

Kona's butter they bring out for the bread has nuts in it.

DD's braces were applied a week before vacation and I requested "non-nut" butter for her since she wasn't able to eat them at the time.

We've eaten at KONA many times....last year, when they brought out the butter and bread, and mentioned macadamia (sp?, sorry) butter, I asked if there were nuts in the bread and that i have an allergy to nuts (NOT peanuts!).....before I knew it....the chef was standing beside me - quite a surprise - I didn't make a big deal about my allergy - and was telling me everything I should stay away from (even suggested the bread, that MAY have touched the butter - I am not THAT allergic!).....i was totally impressed with the KONA restaurant.:love: :cheer2: :woohoo:

Disney is very accommidating when it comes to allergies. I have a tree nut allergy and ate at Kona no problems. They mostly tell you to avoid bakery product produced off site. I had to forgo or have "safe" desserts at a few of the restaurants.

Great, thanks anyone! I feel much more at east about eating there. I'll definitely call and let them know about the nut allergy. I usually hate having people fuss over me with the "you can eat this, you can't eat that," but I guess I really shouldn't take any chances on the honeymoon.

Much appreciated! :yay:

When you book the ADR's let them know about your allergy. They will have it noted and the chef will most likely come and see you after you are seated.

My son has a peanut/tree nut allergy. I have found Disney to be VERY accommodating with regards to his allergies.

However, I would have to say we did not get the normal care I came to expect with Kona. The chef did not come speak to me. When I requested simple vanilla ice cream (after it was cleared with the Chef) they sent out a dish with M&Ms all over it and a chocolate Mickey on the top. :confused: When I said that wasn't safe the girl said 'Can't you just take it off?'

We will return to Kona (I loved it) BUT I would insist on personally speaking with the Chef before we ordered.

For our upcoming trip I made these business sized cards to pass along to our servers as an extra layer of protection.

eatingoutcard-1.jpg

Please feel free to snag the image and print off if you would like.

Have a wonderful time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter