Koko the Gorilla

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
I just read that she passed away. She has always fascinated me since my childhood and she caused me to look differently at animals and communication.

RIP sweet girl. I hope AllBall found you when you crossed over the rainbow bridge.

The news of Koko's passing really hit me hard. I too am fascinated by her. I have a class set of Koko's Kitten and use it in my classroom.

I love the episode of Mister Roger's Neighborhood where he spent time with her. Apparently it was one of his favorite experiences.

I have no doubt that she and AllBall are together again. God speed, Koko.

While it's sad she passed away, she lived a very long time. Also, I think it's sad she was in captivity.

In another life (college) I was a behavioral ecologist. I studied Koko. This is my favorite Koko story.

Koko was not the only gorilla in her study group, just the first (and apparently, the smartest). She had a number of compatriots over the years including a younger male named Mike. Mike was not quite as good as Koko at signing. Sometimes he'd forget signs that he already knew in the heat of the moment For example, in order to get them to learn and use the signs they would require the gorilla to, for example, ask to go to one another's cages in order to play. Mike would ask to play but would blank on simple things the researchers knew that he knew. Koko tended to get impatient in these situations, and would run back and forth along the fence separating their enclosures, frantically signing things like "Think, Mike" and "Hurry". Well, one day, when Mike had blanked on, of all things, Koko's name, Koko started getting really frustrated. Finally, she stopped running around, sat down right in front of Mike, and signed "Koko is a good girl." At which point, of course, Mike was able to remember the sign for his friend.

Also, if you ever want proof that humans aren't alone in the development of higher intelligence, take a moment to learn about Kanzi the bonobo.

This is a little OT, but does anyone follow Natgeo on Instagram and did anyone see the disturbing image they posted last week of a primate, with no warning (when it was posted - I think they've added one)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter