• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kohl's or mom & pop for sneakers?

disneydreamersx4

DIS Veteran
My question is do you think there are different levels of sneaker quality between what is sold at Kohl's or at a mom & pop? I NEED a really good cushioned sneaker maybe New Balance? I tried on a pair at Kohl's, they were on sale for $48, they feel pretty comfortable but don't feel really cushioned enough.

We only buy our sneakers at sports stores (Modell's, Sports Authority) or Footlocker or Famous Footwear. I would never just go to a place like Kohls, because there is such limited selection to choose from. KWIM?

If I had to guess, however, New Balance is New Balance whether you're trying it on at Kohl's or Mom & Pop or Modell's... :)

I am not sure what you mean by a mom and pop but I would recommend a good quality sneaker. Depending how much you plan on wearing them and if you will be on concrete alot. I like Merrell but Kohl's doesn't sell them. There is a Kohl's code for additional 30% off LOVE2SAVE30 plus you get free shipping on a $50.00 order. Use that code and get a really good pair that you love!

I would go to a place that fits shoes to your feet. Tell them up front you are just looking. See what they recommend. Then take that information, shoe number and go to a place like sporting goods place ( hibbett) and purchase the shoe.

I ended up spending more this last time and I was so impressed I made my dh get a pair too. Asicis are nice.

Mrsdennison

Oh also you can always go to a good shoe place, like pp's mentioned, get fitted and see what you like and then look online -- zappos.com is awesome for buying shoes/trying on/shipping back. I heart them :)

I do not believe that the shoes that are sold at Kohl's are the same as you would find elsewhere. Same maker, yes; same quality, no. I think they make a cheaper version for the big box stores.

I would do as others have posted. Go to the locally owned place and have them help you find just the right shoe for you. See if you can find it online for less money.....BUT then I would go back to the local place and ask them to match the price. It can't hurt to ask and, if they say yes, your money stays local!

I would go to a place that fits shoes to your feet. Tell them up front you are just looking. See what they recommend. Then take that information, shoe number and go to a place like sporting goods place ( hibbett) and purchase the shoe.

I ended up spending more this last time and I was so impressed I made my dh get a pair too. Asicis are nice.

Mrsdennison

I agree, if you're going to be wearing them a lot or for a specific activity, I'd go to a place that fits your foot and gait. My DH and I are crazy runners and we get fitted every time we buy new running shoes (which is probably twice a year). We've had great success at Road Runner, they're the only place we'll go to get fitted any more. I personally always buy shoes at the store that fits me because they take a lot of time in the fitting (I would say it averages about 30-45 minutes) and I feel it would be cheating them to use their time and resources and not buy shoes from them, but that's just my feeling. Good luck, hope you get some great shoes!

If you need a good shoe, I'd skip Kohl's, Famous footwear, Dicks etc. Go to someplace with a good selection....of fresh shoes. Yes, the cushion does "expire". You might try a running store. They are trained to look at your foot and gait and recommend a shoe. Personally, I love the Nike air pegasus for cushion (and it comes in wide if you need that too).

Marshells, Ross Dress for Less and and Foot Locker.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, I can always get one of those inserts like Dr. Scholl's to get extra cushioning.

If you need them for running or sports, I'd go to a specialty store that can fit you properly. If they are just as an alternative, more comfortable footwear, I would get them at Kohl's or where ever.

IMO the tennis shoes at Kohl's are absolute garbage. The few pairs I have purchased have broken down immeditely (New Balance and Asics). The Asics I purchased were even their "Performace" line. The only pair that I've bought from there that held up were a pair of Nike Air Trail Runners and they were also considered a "performance" shoe.

I went to a local sports shop that specialized in fitting shoes. They recommended a specific pair of Brooks. I've worn that brand and style ever since, but I buy them from shoebuy.com or amazon at a substatial discount now.

I agree with many of the others here. Go to a running store. Kohl's is fine for casual wear. If the shoes are being used for any type of serious sports, the running/sports store will have the appropriate shoes. Kohl's will carry the top name brands but usually only the lower end of that product line.

Replacing the footbed in the shoe is a great idea for every pair of shoes. The engineering goes into the shoe, not the insert. Treat yourself to something better than a Dr. Scholl's though. Spend an extra $10 and the insert iwll last longer before breaking down.

I have found it is worth the money to go to either a running store, or a New Balance store. There is a difference in the quality, and the lower end stuff ends up in department or sporting good stores, for less money. A good store will not only measure your feet, but take notice of your arch, what you need the shoe for, etc., and bring out sneakers that fit your needs. I've never been disappointed.

Actually, New Balance makes a good insert. Red wing shoes also has a great cushion. I forget the brand but the one that famous footwear sells holds up pretty good too.

I do not believe that the shoes that are sold at Kohl's are the same as you would find elsewhere. Same maker, yes; same quality, no. I think they make a cheaper version for the big box stores.

I would do as others have posted. Go to the locally owned place and have them help you find just the right shoe for you. See if you can find it online for less money.....BUT then I would go back to the local place and ask them to match the price. It can't hurt to ask and, if they say yes, your money stays local!

I agree...I got a pair of Nike's at a great price. I did not try them on as I was in a rush, put them away for a few months and low and behold....they are junk. My own fault for not trying them on......however; there was a noticible difference in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter