Know where to get a reasonably priced graphing calculator/

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
My DS said he really needs one this coming year, but boy are they expensive!! Staples has one for $110 after rebates....any other deals out there?
Thanks.

I'm also looking for one for a class I'm taking this fall, and good golly, they are expensive. I've found a few cheaper options on eBay, and I even saw a few on craigslist.

Good luck! :)

Yes I am thinking I am finally going to have to breakdown and buy one this year. I have 2 students that use them. Since I work in the school system I have borrowed one for home usage. I check it out at the beginning of the school year and return it at the end.

Due to testing regulations in my state a teacher can not offer a student a calculator to use during testing. However, if the student asks for one they can give them one. They also have to make sure if the calculator has been cleared. That is for a school or for the one the student owes prior to testing.

We had to buy one last year, wal-mart and staples had the best prices then. They were discounted with the back to school sales.

Maybe try and find out which type/model the school prefers the kids to have. I know when I was in high school (ten years ago now :sad2:) the school preferred for us to have the same as the teachers because the teachers had the same and knew how to use them correctly and could teach the students how to use them correctly. Teachers often taught lessons with the calculator and it was a lot easier to follow along having the same model. I bought my calculator freshman year and was able to use it all 4 years.

My husband is an engineer. He can tolerate the Texas Instruments ones, but prefers HP.

You can sell it later and get a pretty good price on it.

Search for refurbished ones online, too.

I am pretty sure I saw that Target has the TI84 on sale for $99 this week...unless it was all a dream.

I would also suggest waiting until he starts school. I bought my DD a calculator last year (not graphing, but scientific) because it was on the supply list. It wasn't the one the teacher had and she would get confused about how to use the functions. Had to go buy the one the teacher used (out about $30). I'm sure she could have learned it, but shes not the best math student (takes after me :sad1:) so didn't want to risk her falling behind.

I used my graphing calculator from 7th grade until my senior year of college. It was $100 back in 7th grade, but I think I got my money's worth out of it.

Thanks for the replies.
Good tip about seeing which one the school wants. It is for college, so I'll see if my DS can find out the "preferred" model. Boy I hope it's one on sale :scared1:

have you looked at salescircularDOTcom (I can't post links yet)

It is separated by state and you then find graphing calculators on there. I think we have 3 on sale in our state, all around $90. It's a handy site for electronic sales. Newegg is another good place to look for electronics. I haven't checked on their calculator prices yet, but computer parts are pretty good. I am also signed up for their newsletter, they have "shellshocker" deals that you can only get from the newsletter. It's also a great place to look on black friday.

I was just looking at the sale ads and wondering if I need to get him (#2 son) a new calculator this year, he will be taking geometry. Waiting to hear back from a friend who's son took this class two years ago.

They have them on ebay - I only know because my daughter found one in her room left from high school and told me I might be able to put it on ebay so I checked and they are there. They still aren't cheap but there is a savings.

Liz

I got one at Staples 2 years ago that ended up being free after rebate by purchasing a case or two (not positive on the quantity) of paper right at the start of school. I was even able to buy the paper for work, so really my boss provided the calculator. :banana: Just keep your eyes open, as you may find a great deal out there!

Try Ebay. Hubby needed a certain one for a PE test he's taking in the fall. Found it on Ebay brand new alot cheaper than anywhere else.

Try your local Pawn Shop...you might be surprised at what all you can find there. That's where I found one for my daughter a couple of years ago for $50 :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the ideas for these. I just realized I'm going to need 2 for my 2 students and I had no idea how much they cost. Off to check out ebay and craigslist.

As expensive as this is, it's a need. Kids need to be able to take the calculators home so they can complete their homework. And it's not just for math class: if the student is taking college-prep science, the calculator's a necessity there too.

Last year (when my daughter was a high school freshman) I asked a math teacher to recommend a calculator that "would last" my daughter through high school (and hopefully college), and she told me to buy the TI-84 Plus Silver edition. I didn't mind spending the money on it, BUT I didn't want to have to replace it with a slightly better version in another year or two. My math teacher friend assured me that this calculator will be the last one I'll have to buy for her.

Staples offered the calculator on sale at $99.
I took their sale ad to Office Max (because they price match), and I used a $25 off a $100 purchase coupon, bringing the price down to $74.
I used my Office Max teacher card, and I received an $11 rewards check from Office Max later in the year. Because I also bought other items, I can't say just how much "came from" the calculator purchase.

Suggestions that have nothing to do with money:

This calculator is easy to find in gray and black. Hot pink is also fairly easy to find. Try to get another color; it'll make your student's calculator stand out, and it'll prevent friends from ACCIDENTALLY taking it when they're all working together.

If you can't locate one of the cool orange or lime green versions, look for a face sticker, which -- again -- will personalize the expensive item and make it a little harder to mistake in a crowd.

Regardless, engrave the student's name on the cover AND on the inside of the battery cover. This'll help the student prove ownership if the calculator should suffer more than an accidental walking away.

Office max has a reward program, I am always getting $10-25 off coupons. Also try Journeyed.com they sell all sorts of software, accessories, and computer stuff to students at enormous discounts. I bought Microsoft Windows 2007 biz edition package for $100 thru them.

I am pretty sure I saw that Target has the TI84 on sale for $99 this week...unless it was all a dream.

No you are not dreaming - Target does have them this week. It is the one my daughter has to have (TI- 84 I think) so I am planning to get it there. Staples also had them in their ad but I believe they were alittle more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter