• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kitchen Aid Mixers - what's a good price?

jaminmd

DIS Veteran
I have decided to finally take the plunge and buy a kitchen aid mixer. I need a basic one. What's a good sale price for one? Thanks.

I don't have a direct answer to the question about what is a good current price for a new Kitchen Aid. However, I will tell you there are many models, and Kitchen Aid makes lower end models (lower powered motor) for discount codes, such as Kohl's. This may be fine depending what you are using it for. If you are using it more for just cakes, cookies or brownies, this may not make a difference. But when you are making breads, pasta and denser dough, it makes a big difference.

So, I would start by narrowing down the basic features you are looking for and then you can narrow down what is a competitive price.

Aside from the lower-powered motor the PP mentioned, they have different mixing bowl sizes and styles. I have the basic white one with a stainless bowl. There are models with larger bowls, ones where the bowl is lifted up to the beater, glass bowls, etc.--all in a rainbow of colors. I would love to upgrade to a fancier model, but can't justify the cost--mine is 20 years old, still going strong.

If you have time to shop around, check for deals at Kohl's, Target, QVC (or HSN--one of those). There is generally a special or three going on around the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays--if you do your legwork now, you'll be able to spot a great bargain when you see one. Of course, "bargain" is relative here--they're a pricey item, and you won't get one for super-cheap. But, you should be able to find a decent deal, maybe with extra accessories thrown in.

If you're willing to wait the best time to buy is usually during Black Friday. My dh got a great deal on one during a Costco Black Friday sale.

I bought a refurbished Kitchenaid professional HD from Kitchen Collection during a veteran's day sale, for about $130 after all discounts. That was 7 or 8 year ago though, so I don't know if they still have that good of a price. I know I had to go in store to get the best price available.

I was nervous about buying refurbished, but it has been a great mixer. I am glad I took the risk and saved so much money.

I have been using my grandmothers, and while its still going strong. It's probably 50 years old, its that terrible green color, but I love it:love:. Every time I use it I can feel her with me, I lost her last year right before Thanksgiving last year she was 97, so I will never part with it. I do want to upgrade to something with some of the bells and whistles. Looking at a pasta maker. I have gotten some great deals at Bed, Bath and Beyond on other items if you watch for sales, you can get a lot of accessories added in. Last year we broke down and got some new pots and pans, I got 2 extra pieces and a 50 BBB GC, which I spent on some new kitchen cooking utensils. Now what we paid for the set was a bundle:crazy2:, but I got what I wanted and with all the extra's, it worked out. I am just starting out researching what's out there ~vs~ what I really need and will use. Right now I am seeing 400 to 500 bucks, some are even more. I am starting to think about black Friday, or cyber Monday so we will have to wait and see. I will say, that one year on black Friday, I bought something at BBB and thought it was a great deal, then on Cyber Monday I saw it for even less around 30 dollars, so I bought the one on line, and returned the one I bought on BF. But I have bought things on BF and checked of Cyber Monday to check the price and the BF price was much better. So its a who knows kinda thing...

I have been using my grandmothers, and while its still going strong. It's probably 50 years old, its that terrible green color, but I love it:love:.

My sister-in-law recently renovated their kitchen -- she had the bright red KitchenAid mixer, and now their kitchen is more neutral tones... so she actually spray painted it. It looks great! Just a thought. I'm a big fan of holding on to the older stuff because things just aren't made as well anymore.

One of the nice things about KitchenAid is, the old machines will support the new attachments. I was watching a demo on their spiralizer on HSN/QVC the other day, and they said it would work if you had a mixer from 1912 or 1918, whenever they first started making them. So, even if you have Grandma's ancient mixer, you can still use the new, fancy-scmancy pasta maker, ice cream maker, spiralizer, and so forth.

I don't have a direct answer to the question about what is a good current price for a new Kitchen Aid. However, I will tell you there are many models, and Kitchen Aid makes lower end models (lower powered motor) for discount codes, such as Kohl's. This may be fine depending what you are using it for. If you are using it more for just cakes, cookies or brownies, this may not make a difference. But when you are making breads, pasta and denser dough, it makes a big difference.
So, I would start by narrowing down the basic features you are looking for and then you can narrow down what is a competitive price.

I agree %100 to first figure out what you will use it for, and how much you will use it before purchasing. I have a deep red Professional 5 Plus (discontinued) with a stainless steel lift bowl and I make a lot of breads and pastas (because I'm gluten free and need to make my own) so I like having more power.

There are so many colors, including some really nice looking metallics, and I would definitely shop around for sales. Our local Sam's club has a few, but they are all the tilt-head models. I've seen KitchenAid days on QVC, but never paid to much attention to what models they offered. I was mostly looking for good prices on attachments. (I have the spiralizer set and love it! I found it cheaper on Amazon)

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I'll use it mostly for baking but possibly breads. I don't think I'll make pasta but you never know. I used to make bread a lot when DD was little but I baked it in bread machine. I would be a complete novice now.

I got the spiralizer on sale with a coupon from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was a Christmas gift, so I put it away...and DH bought the same thing from the mall Kitchen $tore! (Full price--ay-yi-yi!). I returned the second one, and was "forced" to spend the store credit on the ice-cream maker. It was a sacrifice, I'll try to soldier on.

FTR, though, I have the 300W model, I've never had any kind of issue with it--even running it for half an hour straight to make ice cream. However, I don't typically do bread doughs--mostly cakes, cookies, and whipped cream. And ice cream, but only so it looks like I'm using my Christmas gift.

My husband bough me a refurbished Kitchen Aid mixer directly from Kitchen Aid on their website. Saved a ton of money, works perfect and has a warranty to boot.

One of the nice things about KitchenAid is, the old machines will support the new attachments. I was watching a demo on their spiralizer on HSN/QVC the other day, and they said it would work if you had a mixer from 1912 or 1918, whenever they first started making them. So, even if you have Grandma's ancient mixer, you can still use the new, fancy-scmancy pasta maker, ice cream maker, spiralizer, and so forth.
That's only partially true. If you have a model in or before 1978 you can't use bowl attachments or many paddle attachments with the bowl. You can use anything that attaches to the motor, though.

It's probably not the cheapest you could possibly get, but it's definitely worth it to pay for the better motor.

I finally got one in the first few days after Christmas. I paid $239 for a 5 quart tilt head in a brushed silver with one of the better motors from Macy's. I had gift cards from Christmas and ended up paying only about 40 some odd dollars. It did not come with a glass bowl which I would have liked but it is big enough for one of my pumpkin bread recipes that makes two generous loaves.

As the others said, you need to narrow your options, tilt head or lift bowl, type of bowl, motor wattage, color, attachments included, etc. to figure the best pricing. If you are going to be making bread you may want one with a dough hook and enough wattage to do the job. I looked all over and Macy's has the best pricing when they have big sales and around Christmas. I had been wanting one for quite a while, but hadn't gotten one because I really don't use it that often. They also have good sales on the attachments around the holidays and during some of the bigger sales.

I purchased mine from Amazon. Different colors have different prices, generally, so if you're flexible about color, you can probably get a really good deal! Right now the 4.5-qt classic in white is $179.10. I purchased the 5-qt several years ago for under $200 by checking prices daily until I found a price and color that worked for me, and combining it was some gift cards I earned using Swagbacks.

I got one from Macy's, it was on my shower registry and the person bought it when it went on sale as they thought it was a good price, it was around October/November. For attachments I got two from Target. One was online only so they sold it as a clearance item and another I got for Mother's Day, it was 20% off and 10% off if I did in store pickup that day plus I used my redcard for another 5% off. It was the lowest price on the item. As for bowls I was thinking about a ceramic or glass one but they are fairly heavy so for now I stick with the stainless steel one as I use it mostly for cake and batter type mixes so I need to pour easily.

Definitely check the details of the different models and decide which features you need/want. My first Kitchen Aid Mixer was a hand-me-down from my mom. It was a 6 qt bowl that lifted up to the mixer. It worked great but just wasn't quite big enough for what I needed. We have 5 kids and I found that when tripling cookie recipes and making mashed potatoes, the bowl just wasn't big enough. I also found that the motor started to drag when mixing heavy dough. So I bought the Proline Series model with the 7 quart bowl and heavy duty motor. I love it!!! My old Kitchen Aid mixer was about 25 years old but still worked so I passed it on to my son when he moved into an apartment. Even though the one I have now was fairly expensive (I think we paid around $500 for it and got a free ice cream maker bowl with it), I didn't hesitate to spend the money because I know I will have that mixer for at least 20 more years.

Good to hear. Unlike Apple who is constantly changing the headphone or power jacks so you have to buy all new cords.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter