Kitchen Aid box needed

I wouldn't put it in the box of something she really wanted. The real fun is when you put the surprise in a box of something that makes you think, "what the heck" when you unwrap it.

My family has a tradition of using weird boxes/wrapping for gifts, just to throw off the recipient. The first thing I remember is receiving my first wrist watch in a Ritz Cracker box. Another year my DDs wrapped a gift for DH in a StayFree maxipad box! (He's the only male in the house, so he wasn't embarrassed.) This year he's getting a car emergency kit in a box that in a previous year clearly contained DGD's traditional yearly teddy bear from Harrods.

We also do goofy (but related) tags. His car emergency kit is from "4357" which are the numbers on the phone if you spell out "help." DD#2 is getting a book on Haunted London from "Things That Go Bump in the Night."

Anyway, you get the picture. Reading the tags and trying to figure out what's inside is a huge part of our Christmas tradition.

Queen Colleen

People, calm down.

We are talking about a box for a counter top kitchen appliance.

It's not a case of a wife telling her husband she's pregnant and then saying "Just kidding, we're getting a hamster".

It's a freeking trip to Vegas in an appliance box.

This place gets stranger every.single.day.

Thank you. It is getting too strange around here for me. And I do want that mixer, but I can get that anytime, a trip not so much. Also for all we know the wife also wants a trip to Vegas. Also I am sorry but the OP didn't ask for opinions on HOW to give the gift, she asked a question to help a friend, but in true Dis form everyone has an opinion of everything but the question.

Part of my problem here is maybe because I can't relate all that well because I haven't been 'disappointed' in a Christmas gift since I was 9.

I thought being disappointed in gifts was more of a problem exclusive to kids.

Seriously?

I think that for the past 55 years I have been severely underestimating the importance of Christmas gifts.

Man, if giving someone an all expense trip to Vegas over a mixer is going to push them over the edge, I guess I agree.

As a matter of fact, I'd probably recommend that these people don't even wrap their gifts.

You really seem to have a very extreme view of this situation! I think most people here are just talking about her feeling a little bit disappointed, and here you are talking about people plotting murder and going over the edge!

Personally, I give gifts to people that I think will make them happy. I want someone to be excited when they unwrap the gift and see what it is. I don't want them to be disappointed by it. I certainly wouldn't want them to get all excited about the gift they think I've given them, only to find out it was just a joke and they aren't getting that after all. Even if it only causes a fleeting pang of disappointment, I just don't see any reason to intentionally do that. I just can't think of any good reason to do it that way, when there are so many other ways to present the trip that wouldn't cause any disappointment. Maybe you can, and that's fine. But I personally don't think it's a great idea.

js said:
I don't know where to tell you to get a box but he can always buy one, take out the mixer and put the surprise in it.
He can also give her the mixer after she opens the real surprise?

That's what I was thinking too.

Part of my problem here is maybe because I can't relate all that well because I haven't been 'disappointed' in a Christmas gift since I was 9.

I thought being disappointed in gifts was more of a problem exclusive to kids.

You are being such a guy. You can't possibly understand the love between a lady and her mixer. :lovestruc

I can see a guy getting equally upset because the wife booked them on a cruise the weekend of the Superbowl! :rotfl:

Instead of trying to logically explain to those who think we're all nuts (or apparently, childish) for thinking a natural, gut reaction of disappointment might occur when one is tricked into thinking they're getting something they specifically asked for (and then doesn't get it), I will simply say this:

You do not understand the meaning of a KitchenAid mixer to someone who loves to cook. It's like the Holy Grail of small kitchen appliances.

You really seem to have a very extreme view of this situation! I think most people here are just talking about her feeling a little bit disappointed, and here you are talking about people plotting murder and going over the edge!

Personally, I give gifts to people that I think will make them happy. I want someone to be excited when they unwrap the gift and see what it is. I don't want them to be disappointed by it. I certainly wouldn't want them to get all excited about the gift they think I've given them, only to find out it was just a joke and they aren't getting that after all. Even if it only causes a fleeting pang of disappointment, I just don't see any reason to intentionally do that. I just can't think of any good reason to do it that way, when there are so many other ways to present the trip that wouldn't cause any disappointment. Maybe you can, and that's fine. But I personally don't think it's a great idea.

I am sorry, but to you understand how silly all of this is, you all don't even know this person, it isn't even the person posting and yet you all sit here and talk about how disappointed she will be. How do you know that she doesn't want a trip to Vegas, maybe it is something she had mentioned several times but figures there is no way to do it, maybe she just wants a trip anywhere alone with DH, maybe she doesn't. but you all are sitting here like you know her and stating that in fact, or almost 100% that she will be disappointed. I mean SERIOUSLY? You know that this won't make her happy? Do you all know her personally? I think most of you have an extreme view. this really takes the cake, and not one made with a Kitchen aid mixer.

Instead of trying to logically explain to those who think we're all nuts (or apparently, childish) for thinking a natural, gut reaction of disappointment might occur when one is tricked into thinking they're getting something they specifically asked for (and then doesn't get it), I will simply say this:

You do not understand the meaning of a KitchenAid mixer to someone who loves to cook. It's like the Holy Grail of small kitchen appliances.

WEll sorry but I do. I love to cook and I love to bake, and I have been asking for one for years, but I can guarantee you that if that happened to me, I would be thrilled with the trip. I can get a mixer some other time.

YOu don't know her either, you don't know that she would prefer that over a trip. YOu accusing Bob of not knowing what he is talking about goes back to you. Maybe she will be disappointed maybe she won't. For all you know she has said that she would like one, but it isn't a huge deal, maybe it is a huge deal. YOU DON"T KNOW.

She would know something was wrong when she picked up the box, to light for that mixer...:lmao:

You are being such a guy. You can't possibly understand the love between a lady and her mixer. :lovestruc

I can see a guy getting equally upset because the wife booked them on a cruise the weekend of the Superbowl! :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 :lmao:

Let's try another example. Man has been coveting a Jaguar his entire adult life. Wife gifts him with a key on a Jaguar keychain. He rushes to the driveway only to discover a restored 1978 AMC Pacer.

I think the disappointment would be understandable.

See...Kitchenaid mixers are the Jaguars of the mixer world! ;)

Denise < --- proud owner of a KA Pro 600 and made two loaves of sourdough bread today for the 1st time.

:thumbsup2 :lmao:

Let's try another example. Man has been coveting a Jaguar his entire adult life. Wife gifts him with a key on a Jaguar keychain. He rushes to the driveway only to discover a restored 1978 AMC Pacer.

I think the disappointment would be understandable.

See...Kitchenaid mixers are the Jaguars of the mixer world! ;)

Denise < --- proud owner of a KA Pro 600 and made two loaves of sourdough bread today for the 1st time.

So you are comparing a trip to Vegas, without kids, to a AMC Pacer? That is funny. You all keep trying, maybe you will convince me.

WEll sorry but I do. I love to cook and I love to bake, and I have been asking for one for years, but I can guarantee you that if that happened to me, I would be thrilled with the trip. I can get a mixer some other time.

YOu don't know her either, you don't know that she would prefer that over a trip. YOu accusing Bob of not knowing what he is talking about goes back to you. Maybe she will be disappointed maybe she won't. For all you know she has said that she would like one, but it isn't a huge deal, maybe it is a huge deal. YOU DON"T KNOW.

I respectfully disagree. Many people (including myself) cannot justify spending $300-$600 for a small kitchen appliance "any old time". In fact, our Pro 600 was purchased as a JOINT Christmas gift several years ago as my husband also loves to cook (plus we were preparing/grinding homemade pet food at the time).

And, I would assume if a person asked for such a gift, that would mean she wants it.

perhaps he should just go ahead and put those vegas tix in the genuine Kitchen Aid box and shout "surprise!"

BUT he should ALSO have the actual mixer in, say, the closet as the rest of the surprise....

that way it's a win/win!

oh, have an update here:

went to bedbath earlier with DH to visit my coveted Kitchen Aid 5 quart (in "Sugar Pearl")

he said "No"....

instead, he bought me the Kitchen Aid Professional 600 series 6 quart in "Pearl Metallic"!! - and it had a $50 rebate! :banana:

woo hoo! :cloud9:

christmas came early!!!! :santa:

(somewhere, a pig is flying...) ;)

Congrats!

:rotfl:

yes, where else could you come and announce your gift is a Kitchen Aid mixer and hear that? :rotfl:

I asked for one for Christmas for about 2 yrs. and I think DH thought I was kidding and did not buy me one. Clients gave me Christmas $$ and I went to Pigeon Forge after the holidays and visited the Kitchen store over there and bought it for myself.
Who can explain the love between a woman and her mixer?? ;) :rotfl2:

And there is no other appliance that I'd feel this strongly about--however, my food saver comes close!! :banana:

:thumbsup2

I think the trip is fine (although I would not be thrilled with Vegas) but I think the choice of the KA box is wrong. It is JUST MY OPINION. I'd be disappointed.

Two Christmases ago my mom bought me a sewing machine that I'd been pining for. I was so excited when I tore the paper off (I did not try to pick the box up even), I can only imagine how disappointed I would have been to find out it was just the box and there was something else inside.

I think some people get more excited about gifts than others. My DH is like Bob--he doesn't care what he is given--it is all good. I do not care either but when I receive something I like/love/want/need, you know it--I'm just one of those people who shows my happiness/excitedness. I'm sure someone would be able to see the disappointment even though I'd be trying to hide it.

I can think of 20 places I'd rather go than Las Vegas.

But this isn't about you, Shocking I know. For all you know this person has expressed a desire to go there. YOu all still don't get it. The OP knows a man that is wanting to surprise his wife, and he has a way he wants to do it and the op asks for help. Yet all of you jump in and start talking about how she won't want that and then you go on to say that there are 20 other places you would rather go, THIS ISN"T YOUR GIFT. Repeat this phrase until you understand.

I respectfully disagree. Many people (including myself) cannot justify spending $300-$600 for a small kitchen appliance "any old time". In fact, our Pro 600 was purchased as a JOINT Christmas gift several years ago as my husband also loves to cook (plus we were preparing/grinding homemade pet food at the time).

And, I would assume if a person asked for such a gift, that would mean she wants it.

So you know that these people can't purchase it. YOu can respectfully disagree for yourself. again, you people don't know these people. You have no clue. yet you all sit here and preach like it is the absolute truth. I ask for things all the time, doesn't mean I get them. Maybe she has asked for a trip in the he past, maybe something has happened and the DH can now give it to her. YOU DON"T KNOW THEM, yet you sit here and judge how wrong the husband is.

Can't you all see how unbelievable this it, you all are judging people you don't even know, and giving your opinion on something that wasn't even asked for. The OP isn't the one giving the gift.

So you know that these people can't purchase it. YOu can respectfully disagree for yourself. again, you people don't know these people. You have no clue. yet you all sit here and preach like it is the absolute truth. I ask for things all the time, doesn't mean I get them. Maybe she has asked for a trip in the he past, maybe something has happened and the DH can now give it to her. YOU DON"T KNOW THEM, yet you sit here and judge how wrong the husband is.

Can't you all see how unbelievable this it, you all are judging people you don't even know, and giving your opinion on something that wasn't even asked for. The OP isn't the one giving the gift.

Rinse, lather, repeat. :)

OK, maybe this will make you happy mhsjax.

How about, OP, you tell the friend that you do not know where to get a box without a mixer and that he might want to rethink using that box just in case his wife might be a bit disappointed by thinking she is receiving something she wants and not getting it. Just suggest it to him. He might not have thought about that aspect of using a KA box. And maybe he has and knows that his wife would care and that she will think it was clever and will be thrilled with a trip way more than a mixer.

If you do this, then you have warned him of possibly causing her disappointment on Christmas morning. He knows her better than we do so he can make his own choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter