Kissimee

martinrmn

DIS Veteran
As a break from the parks we fancy exploring more of Florida and are thinking of spending a day in Kissimee. Can anyone recommend things to do?

We always stay in Kissimmee, however, whilst we find the location ideal there is not a lot there to justify a day trip as it were.

The best recommendation I would say would be Old Town - however, that is much better in the evening, especially at weekend's.

www.old-town.com/

Try having a look around Celabration. we found it to be abit like the Truman Show, you can also hire out an Airboat and take yourself up and down the river if you are looking for something really different.

we have stayed in kissimme also and like they said old town is o.k but other than shops that sell cheap fake disney souvenirs and a lot of restaurants kissimee isnt that much. :banana:

I know it's not Kissimmee but Winter Park, near Downtown Orlando, is well worth a morning or afternoon's visit, with shops/restaurants and art galleries etc.

The majority of us stay in Kissimmee as it offers easy access to everything and a lot of the villa rental homes are located here, whilst it is a pleasant place and a drive down the 192 is okay it is not necessarily somewhere where you would go for the day.

I think me and Tony have suggested 2 good places earlier though, Old Town isn't everybody's cup of tea but at the weekend's we find it a really good evening out...

Why not take a day trip to St.Augustine (about 2 hours from Orlando). It is full of real history, and there's plenty of things to see. Go and see the original Spanish settlement, or the oldest school house in America!
T.

Celebration is lovely to visit during the day. There are some nice places to eat and there is lots to see. Old Town is open at night but to be honest once you have seen it once that is enough. Not sure if I would make a special trip just to go there. On the 192 there are lots of restaurants such as Outback, Tony Romas and there is a lovely Italian restaurant called Pacinos. As a previous poster mentioned there are lots of gift shops and a flea market and also a huge Walmart. If you fancy taking in a dinner show Medieval Times is right next door to Walmart.

I think you need to go to Old Town at the weekend, as I said earlier, and make your own mind up about it...it is totally different to anything else in Orlando and personally I do feel it is worth visiting Kissimmee just to give it a try.
It isn't necessarily something you will return to again and again however, if you are looking for something else away from the parks then it's a good choice.
As many of us have always said it's not just about the theme parks and there are other things out there to enjoy also.

Personally I would change it to an evening in Kissimmee and go to OT.
We have at least a couple of evenings there and still find it enjoyable.

I'd definitely make a short visit to 'Celebration' - if only for the 'Stepford Wife/Trueman Life ' feel :)

We really love it there but it definitely has an eerie type of ambience.

I'd love to visit 'Winter Park' too but we never seem to have enough time to do everything.............................. :rolleyes:

As for Kissimee itself, as Johnny says, there's little to see besides 'Old Town'. Again, definitely worth a visit but save it for a few hours, in the evening, at the weekend ( or Thurs eve) when the car / bike processions will be there :thumbsup2

Kissimmee is a strip of restaurants, hotels, gift shops but not high end merchandise. You can drive down the strip and on it is Old Town a carney like park with shops and restaurants with special night for old cars,motor cycles and that such. There are the Air boat rides on 192 east, a helicoptor ride, a lot of discount store shops. Not sure if they are really a discount. There is a flea market. Not in walking distance from each other unless you heck of a walker.

Kissimmee is a bit like Orlando. Everybody thinks they have been there but very few actually have. To see the real Kissimmee go to the downtown area and see the historical area. Used to be a little dodgy but its now a very nice place to visit.
To get there you go down the 192 east then turn right when you see the gateway to Downtown Kissimmee (Its where the OBT meets the 192)

Terry :cool1:

we went to winter park and we went on a boat trip around the lakes to see all the really big posh houses...being a hyperactive teenager who had been spoilt rotten for her 18th birthday while we were there I wasn't very impressed at this break from the 'action'. There used to be a bear factory style shop there and my uncle was going to buy me a bear but it's since closed so we were resigned to a few lazy cafes and the boats. We by no means saw all of winter park but for the adults who want a break from the theme parks it can be a lovely idyllic day out....and you get to drive past downtown orlando...it looks kinda scary to me and i've heard it described as the Orlando equivalent of the banking district in london...very little to do for tourists etc.

terrynewpack said:
Kissimmee is a bit like Orlando. Everybody thinks they have been there but very few actually have. To see the real Kissimmee go to the downtown area and see the historical area
More or less what I was going to post.

Downtown Kissimmee is nice enough, but not a tourist destination and there are far better places to visit away from the parks.

Have you got a copy of A Brit's Guide to Orlando and Walt Disney World? It's one of the few guidebooks to cover all the alternative attractions in some detail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter