• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kings Dominion vs Busch Gardens

Lvsdisney

DIS Veteran
We're going to Williamsburg in October and originally I was going to get the Bounce Pass which gives us unlimited visits (during our stay) to both Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. My DS(6) LOVES roller coasters and it doesn't look like BG has many for him to ride (heigh restrictions).

We'll be driving by Kings Dominion (only about an hour from CW) and they have more coasters that my son can go on. I've never been there and I don't know if it's a nice park (BG/Hersheypark style) or more of a Six Flags kind of place. Any opinions on how nice it is?

Things that make me lean towards KD
1) They have kid friendly Halloween experience in the early afternoon (12-5pm) BG doesn't have anything specific for kids
2) More coasters for my DS to go on, more rides that my DD will be able to do (she's 3) plus the kids rides are very similar to Sesame Place which we go to often (would rather have something different)

Things that make me lean towards BG
1) Closer to hotel
2) included in bounce pass (though really it's probably a $40 difference between buying CW and KD individually)
3) can go more than one time with bounce pass and parking is included.

Any opinions? Also, does anyone know of any KD discounts? TIA!

I live in Richmond and haven't been to Kings Dominion in about 15 years. Lots of coasters/rides, but not what I would consider a "nice" park. I haven't been to a Six Flags so can't compare it to that. We usually drive down to BG at least once a year. Beautiful park, great coasters, great food. I can understand wanting to go to KD if you get more bang for your buck with your kids though. It may be better in terms of crowd-level and whatnot if you're going on a weekday. Just be sure to avoid the time when the State Fair is here (early October). You won't even make it near the parking lot if you come then!

I haven't been to BG's Halloween event in about 10 years, but I remember it was SCARY when I went. However, that's only in the evenings.

ETA: KD and the State Fairgrounds are almost across the street from each other. Traffic is HORRENDOUS during the time they overlap, particularly in the evening.

We haven't been to either one in many years but used to like to take our kids to both parks, not necessarily on the same trip.

Wendy's usually has King's Dominion and Busch Garden discounts printed on bags throughout the year, including for Halloween. I have seen discount offers printed on soft drink cans.

We visited Williamsburg a few years back and went to both parks. My DS is also a huge coaster fan, so he insisted on a day trip to Kings Dominion. It had more of a Six Flags feel, but he really enjoyed the coasters.

We were staying at the Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, and the day trip to Kings Dominion was very doable.

I live in Richmond and haven't been to Kings Dominion in about 15 years. Lots of coasters/rides, but not what I would consider a "nice" park. I haven't been to a Six Flags so can't compare it to that. We usually drive down to BG at least once a year. Beautiful park, great coasters, great food. I can understand wanting to go to KD if you get more bang for your buck with your kids though. It may be better in terms of crowd-level and whatnot if you're going on a weekday. Just be sure to avoid the time when the State Fair is here (early October). You won't even make it near the parking lot if you come then!

I haven't been to BG's Halloween event in about 10 years, but I remember it was SCARY when I went. However, that's only in the evenings.

ETA: KD and the State Fairgrounds are almost across the street from each other. Traffic is HORRENDOUS during the time they overlap, particularly in the evening.

I looked up the state fair and it looks like it is going on the saturday I was planning on KD. I figure we'll be at KD noon-5 pm ish Will it be crazy? Should we even bother?

I grew up near both. When we were kids we got seasons passes to KD. Much more 6 flags-ish. Once I was a grown up we did BG. Nicer park.

I've mostly gone to King's Dominion for the King's Fest concerts and a couple times for their water park. It's like a Six Flags. It's fine, but Busch Garden's is a nicer park.

Also, while Busch Gardens does have a Sesame Street area there are other rides for small children elsewhere in the park. An area that has a lot of options all together is Land of the Dragons. It has a huge play area and a number of rides for the younger visitors.

That's too bad about your son not being tall enough for a lot of the coasters. Is he tall enough for some of the other rides like Escape from Pompeii, DarKastle, Roman Rapids?

Also, I would definitely recommend against having children at Hallowscream. It scares a lot of adults.

I looked up the state fair and it looks like it is going on the saturday I was planning on KD. I figure we'll be at KD noon-5 pm ish Will it be crazy? Should we even bother?

Yeah, I'd say it would be pretty packed. You might want to look at some local news stations that day or traffic updates, but I imagine that Saturday will be craaaaazy. Our local news stations here are NBC12, WRIC 8, and CBS 6. They might give you a good idea closer to. It definitely gets busy over there because there's only one road in and out for both Kings Dominion and the State Fair, and often the traffic will be backed up onto 95 for people trying to get there. I have heard of people waiting up to two hours in traffic trying to get into that area.

I'm partial to BG but I live super close and our family has season passes. KD is a bit more like Six Flags - more thrill rides, less "ambiance." I have a 3 year old and he LOVES Busch- there's plenty for him to do. We took him last year during Hallowscream and we were fine as long as we got out of the park by 6. The decorations were great and nothing scary happens until 6 but as it got dark he did get a bit nervous when we were walking through to leave. They push you to be out by 6 with little ones. Like you said though, there isn't anything really Halloween themed for little kids, just decorations everywhere. There are tons of rides he can do, more than enough to fill a day there. We usually hit the Sesame street area just for the characters and sometimes the wiggly worm then move on. There are rides he enjoys more throughout the park- Land of the Dragons, the rides on the edge of Italy and some in Germany (planes, bumper cars, kid swings, etc). He also loves the horse ride by the stables.

KD is doable but after hearing about the state fair I'd skip it.

Just to clarify, when I said I wouldn't take kids to Hallowscream, I was referring to the nighttime event. During the day should be fine.

We've had season passes to BG for many years. I worked at KD in high school and college. KD is definitely more 6 Flags. BG is a much prettier park, and I think just a nicer experience overall. BG will begin to get Packed mid-afternoon. Lots of teens and young adults pouring in for Howl-O-Scream. It's really scary so we leave before dark.

Yeah, I'd say it would be pretty packed. You might want to look at some local news stations that day or traffic updates, but I imagine that Saturday will be craaaaazy. Our local news stations here are NBC12, WRIC 8, and CBS 6. They might give you a good idea closer to. It definitely gets busy over there because there's only one road in and out for both Kings Dominion and the State Fair, and often the traffic will be backed up onto 95 for people trying to get there. I have heard of people waiting up to two hours in traffic trying to get into that area.

Hmmmm... I guess we wont go then! I don't need to go THAT badly o_O

I'm partial to BG but I live super close and our family has season passes. KD is a bit more like Six Flags - more thrill rides, less "ambiance." I have a 3 year old and he LOVES Busch- there's plenty for him to do. We took him last year during Hallowscream and we were fine as long as we got out of the park by 6. The decorations were great and nothing scary happens until 6 but as it got dark he did get a bit nervous when we were walking through to leave. They push you to be out by 6 with little ones. Like you said though, there isn't anything really Halloween themed for little kids, just decorations everywhere. There are tons of rides he can do, more than enough to fill a day there. We usually hit the Sesame street area just for the characters and sometimes the wiggly worm then move on. There are rides he enjoys more throughout the park- Land of the Dragons, the rides on the edge of Italy and some in Germany (planes, bumper cars, kid swings, etc). He also loves the horse ride by the stables.

KD is doable but after hearing about the state fair I'd skip it.

Thanks for the info! I think we'll do BG based on what others say. We're going to have the bounce pass, so we can do a few hours Satuday and Sunday and avoid the scarier Howl O scream stuff.

Thank you all for the input!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter