Kingdom Keepers

girlieeee

Mouseketeer
I didn't know where to post this, sorry if I chose wrong.

So, I found out today that there is a whole series of books for young readers called Kingdom Keepers!

Has anyone had kids that read these? Are they good? I got the first one in the series for my 10 year old DS to read at the airport & on the plane.

My son, who is 14, just finished reading the 4th one. He loves them. I have read the first 3 and I enjoy them because of the Disney setting.

I'm on the third one as well. Dh just started on the first one and is enjoying it so far.

I am a fourth/fifth grade teacher and have read 3 of the series. They are enjoyable especially since the settings are in WDW and I have been to all the places described/mentioned. It's fun to be able to talk with my students some of whom also have been to WDW.

I have only read the first book. My library doesn't have any of the others. I have however read the Starcatcher (all) series and the Neverland (first two books).

I really enjoyed them. I have requested the other Kingdom Keeper books so hopefully they will get them. They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).

I just ordered the first 2 on amazon.com for $0.01 plus $3.99 S/H for my oldest.

Also for others looking at books for the same age group, there is a series "Peter and the Starcatchers" which is Peter Pan pre-Neverland. There are 4 in that series too.

I've read all 3 of the Kingdom Keeper books and read them to my 8 y/o DD as bedtime stories. She loved them! We're reading Book 4 together.

I've also read all of the Peter and the Starcatcher books and read those to my DD as bedtime stories as well. We both have read all of the Neverland books too.

I started to read the first one and honestly it was too creepy for me. I was afraid it would spoil my love for Disney, picturing the characters coming to life and fighting with each other. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but they weren't for me and I haven't encouraged my kids to read them.

I love these books, and I'm 42, so they are not just for kids!

Some of the stuff might be a little scary for younger kids, but if you talk about it with them, they should be fine.

I told DH that next trip we take, I'm re-reading all the books before we go and looking for all the stuff the kids have to get, sort of like a scavenger hunt! This last one (Power Play) really got my missing Disney :love:

Thanks for all the replies. My DS 10 is pretty mature and I think he should be okay with the scary stuff but I will warn him (of course, this may give him MORE reason to want to read them, lol!). If he reads this series and enjoys it, I will recommend the other series (Neverland/Starcatcher).

We read the first three, my daughter (13) and I. We thought they were "okay". The story had so many places where it could have been great, but it was lacking in so many ways.

The book has unacceptable innuendos for kids books. The characters lack character and the story lacks detail. One of the things that really bothered me about the books is the near-slam on Disney Cast Members. He wrote most of them as they were stupid, asinine, idiotic jerks.

What is the series about?
Product Description
Featuring a new paperback cover to match hardcover of Kingdom Keepers II:

In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI--which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging--Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park. The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?

Finn's confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney's beloved realm, and maybe more.

This gripping high-tech tale will thrill every kid who has ever dreamed of sneaking into Walt Disney World after hours and wondered what happens at night, when the park is closed.

I have read all of them - it is like a car wreck - you shouldnt look, but you cant help it. The books are not that good. The writer has a weak style; he is no Rowling or Lewis. He makes note to one of the boys being "a black kid" a lot which I find annoying and also shows this kid to have horrible language and a terrible attitude. He pretty much describes him as ghetto, which I find offensive.

They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).[/QUOTE]

You must not have listened to a book read by Jim Dale! He reads all the Harry Potter books, as well as Peter and the Star catchers. The man is so amazing that you get totally lost in the books. He single handedly turned me into an audio book lover!
Back on topic, I started reading Kingdom Keepers to my daughter last night. The first few chapters are cute. We'll see how she feels by the end of the book.

Seriously, get an audio book read by Jim Dale (he even does Peter Pan and Around the World in 80 Days), you won't be sorry!
Tish

They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).

You must not have listened to a book read by Jim Dale! He reads all the Harry Potter books, as well as Peter and the Star catchers. The man is so amazing that you get totally lost in the books. He single handedly turned me into an audio book lover!
Back on topic, I started reading Kingdom Keepers to my daughter last night. The first few chapters are cute. We'll see how she feels by the end of the book.

Seriously, get an audio book read by Jim Dale (he even does Peter Pan and Around the World in 80 Days), you won't be sorry!
Tish

I'm sorry, I like to read my books! Another annoying thing is they don't have the first one on mp3, so really what a waste.

Good news, I just requested them to purchase approx. a month ago and it looks like they are going to arrive soon. I already requested all of them so hopefully they come in soon.

I did notice some mistakes in the book, it was when they were in MK and only a certain # of children where there and they had one more/one less child than there should have been.

Also in the Starcatcher books, there was another mistake or they didn't tell us how more star stuff was added to the locket. In one book it was empty and the next it now contained some.

My sons and I are big fans...we are on the 2nd one now since they are hard to find in our library system. Sure, they aren't literary masterpieces, but they are wildly adventurous and entertaining. They appeal to boys as well as girls, which most book series don't.

In addition, there is a web site that has an interactive game plus forums, video games, etc. My kids were ecstatic to find it. They wanted to meet Ridley Pearson but it didn't work out. Apparently they are doing a Kingdom Keepers scavenger hunt type thing but only for big groups and schools in Florida...?

I definitely think your son will like the books, but they are a little creepy. My youngest held onto my arm a few times, but good triumphs and that's the main thing.

I personally didn't get any negative vibe about the CMs...well the ones who were human. I also don't see a negative slant put on Maybeck...the opposite. He's the cool guy, whereas Philby is the nerd and Finn is the "hero".

The books are not much more than entertainment and a way to live the Disney Magic at home while expanding Disney's audience. If you think about it, the major audience of the parks is pretty young. These are aimed at a young adult audience to make the parks still cool and hip instead of "just for little kids". Smart move, overall.

I wanted to like the books so much more than I did. I am a big reader, especially of YA lit and I thought this series was TERRIBLE. The writing is very weak and the book is littered with huge holes and errors. I just don't get the love for this series, it was very disappointing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter