King Cakes are ugly---there. I said it.

Yes, they are on the same lines as your Galette des Rois. We eat king cakes during Mardi Gras/Carnival season which is Epiphany until Mardi Gras day (today). Our current customs of Mardi Gras/Carnival originated with people who immigrated from France in the 1700s. And when in New Orleans, we enjoy beignets all the time!

Sounds like my type of place :thumbsup2 One day we will visit NO and the Louisiana region as it sounds fascinating and interesting to us with lots of history and culture.

Thank you for the info and have a good celebration today :goodvibes

i tasted a king cake last month at mardi gras world, and it was VERY dry. tasted sort of like a cinnamon roll. i wasn't impressed. however, i had never even seen a king cake in person before, so i was expecting actual cake.

I took some people to Mardi Gras World when they came to town to visit; the king cake was very dry then too, and this was a couple years ago. I think they serve stale king cake fairly often. As a PP stated, it may have been sitting out all day.

While there's no set number of how many types of king cake you must try before you can form an opinion ;), please don't judge all king cake on the dry stuff they tend to serve at MGW!

I have a really dumb question.....is there a baby in all king cakes? We are moving from Indiana to southern Louisiana and we bought a cake from a grocery store while we were visiting the area last weekend. We were so excited to see who was going to get the baby, but there wasn't one.

I have a really dumb question.....is there a baby in all king cakes? We are moving from Indiana to southern Louisiana and we bought a cake from a grocery store while we were visiting the area last weekend. We were so excited to see who was going to get the baby, but there wasn't one.

These days, the babies are usually sold with the cake, but outside of the cake. The purchaser would put the baby into the cake. I assume it's to avoid lawsuits from the "surprise" of finding a baby inside the cake--by biting into or swallowing it. I just put one in the cake I bought today.

That pic in the link looks like a hot mess to me. Something that would show up on cakewrecks. Maybe I just don't have a sophisticated eye.

I must have the same vision as you - it looks like something thrown together with leftovers.

wow--yes, it is a round braided loaf that will be baked with whole eggs braided into the loaf to signify the trinity.

Yep, never have heard of it! Crazy...my grandma was so so so devout.

Catholic here, too, and I had never heard of them until we moved to the boston area. I think its an Italian thing. We went to the north end and went to mike's and got some. delish!

Makes sense. I am a Scandinavian Catholic ;)

That pic in the link looks like a hot mess to me. Something that would show up on cakewrecks. Maybe I just don't have a sophisticated eye.

I'm sorry that cake that you linked is god-awful ugly... It looks like someone did a #2 on some banana slices... :scared:

google king cake images! There are plenty on there that are beautiful. But you know, not every person thinks the same thing is beautiful. If you do not like the looks of king cake ~ so what! As a Cajun girl they are beautiful to me and so are crawfish and gumbo! Happy Mardi Gras!!!

google king cake images! There are plenty on there that are beautiful. But you know, not every person thinks the same thing is beautiful. If you do not like the looks of king cake ~ so what! As a Cajun girl they are beautiful to me and so are crawfish and gumbo! Happy Mardi Gras!!!

crawfish and gumbo are delicious and beautiful!! I agree!

OK, let's talk differences and the historical popularity of King Cake.

IME, "traditional" King Cake is always dry. By this I mean the original braided-bread-ring-with-colored-sugar-on-it version that is now sold in almost all supermarkets and even convenience stores in South Louisiana. It is only glazed brioche with a bit of cinnamon in it; essentially cinnamon bread (not to be confused with a cinnamon ROLL), and was meant to be eaten with cafe au lait. They were first sold with a baby inside at McKenzies Bakeries in New Orleans in the 1940's, and became a popular seasonal product at local bakeries after WW2. Ones that look like this are now very cheaply mass-produced, and you can usually buy the size that serves about 10 people for around $4.

The plain brioche version is indeed dull and rather dry, just like a slice of cold unbuttered cinnamon bread; and they had begun to fall out of favor everywhere but the older neighborhoods of New Orleans by the late 1970's. Around that time, someone at Haydels bakery in New Orleans decided that Danish pastry dough would probably sell better than brioche and switched over, and Gambinos bakery soon followed that innovation. Sometime soon after one of those shops decided that pie fillings inside might go over even better, and they racheted up the flavor and moistness of the pastry, while at the same time loading on more glaze and colored sugar, and the MODERN King Cake was born. (This all happened during my teen years, btw.) These bakeries in particular, and other local bakers as well, have a major rivalry in terms of coming up with the "best" king cakes. These days, a really good king cake large enough to share with a typical office will locally run you at least $12, and normally closer to $20. Shipped overnight out of state, they normally start around $40.

By the mid-1980's the revived popularity of the modern version of the King Cake was going gangbusters throughout South Louisiana; and other bakeries went to the filled versions, too. Most bakeries will sell about a dozen filled varieties. Based on what sells best, the most popular versions these days are probably apple, cream cheese, praline and lemon.

They can look VERY different, but most of them are the tricolored sugar-sprinkled versions with purple, green and gold sugar blotches on them.

The version that I linked from Domenica is an unusual-looking one, but like I said, I think it looks luscious, and it recently won the citywide KingCake bake-off in the nontraditional category. Also unusual-looking is the "Elvis" version from Cochon Butcher -- it is flavored with bananas, peanut butter, house-made BACON and marshmallow creme, and has a plastic pig inside: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MoaUZWJKcTdqQHS-IGABw&ved=0CGEQ9QEwBg&dur=716 (Note about this one: at my first job outside Louisiana, back in 1985, I brought in home-baked cream cheese filled king cake on Mardi Gras. The guy who got the baby didn't do pastry, so he made a Sicilian cheesecake -- and wrote "ELVIS" across it! Again, nontraditional, but it was still very tasty, LOL!)

Sucre is by just about anyone's measure the most outstanding confectioner currently in business in New Orleans. Their version looks like it might have come from Outer Space, but I hear it is insanely tasty: http://www.shopsucre.com/king-cakes/sucre-king-cake.html/ They decorate it with pearl icing using an airbrush.

Some of the better more traditional ones you might see are as follows (with shop name):

Haydels: http://www.haydelbakery.com/product_images/King-of-Carnival--Traditional-~vo.jpg
Gambino's: http://www.gambinos.com/shop/images/gambinos king cake.jpg
Randazzo's: https://www.randazzokingcake.com/product_images/q/dscn1512__21720_thumb.jpg
La Dolce Nola: http://www.ladolcenola.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/King-Cake-1.jpg
Cake Cafe: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...urmTMfUwfEtLJKo5bxvjkTfxTcXWHjarwJEq9DaYrfmJA (They won the TRADITIONAL prize in this year's bakeoff.)

I've never thought of King Cakes as being ugly. Maybe that is why I just put down my third slice of Gambino's praline cream cheese filled King Cake today. I think I'm ready for Lent!

IME, "traditional" King Cake is always dry. By this I mean the original braided-bread-ring-with-colored-sugar-on-it version that is now sold in almost all supermarkets and even convenience stores in South Louisiana. It is only glazed brioche with a bit of cinnamon in it; essentially cinnamon bread

Thanks! This is what I've always had and I couldn't understand why people raved about King Cakes. It's always been dry and flavorless. Now I know I should get one of the modern King Cakes or I should make my own.

Aw but they are so festive and fun! Seeing the obnoxiously sugared king cake at the bakery was such a bright spot in the middle of dreary winter! And I don't mind ugly if it's delicious.

I just finished a delicious piece of king cake - YUM!! :banana:

We've been buying them for about 10 years from a local bakery (you have to get your order in early!) and they are delicious. In fact, DH talked them into making one for us "out of season" a few years ago. He couldn't stand the thought of going a full year without one.

I think they are beautiful. The colors are so festive! Just seeing one makes me smile. :goodvibes

I don't think that CakeWrecks does pastries, and a King Cake is a pastry. With the exception of things like Cream Puff Swans, you really cannot make the average pastry representative of something else; it will look exactly like the food that it is.

That isn't the most beautiful King Cake that I've ever seen, but I said that this one is beautiful because it is perfectly-baked and a unique and different interpretation. It is good-looking food. The crust is just the perfect golden-brown, it is glistening with sugar glaze and specks of real gold, with uniformly-sliced bananas cascading past the edges, and hand-made caramel oozing out between the cracks in the dough. It looks rich and very sweet and conveys that visually -- all of those things make it look very well-presented to me. The NYTimes food section apparently agrees; that version was recently featured in a photo spread.

(FWIW, Domenica is not a bakery. It is a 4-star Italian restaurant, and this example was made by their current lead pastry chef, Lisa Marie White.)

You may want to check out the current http://www.cakewrecks.com/ OF COURSE the do King Cakes. Every year. This crop is fantastic! Each one a total train wreck.

Yes, King Cakes are ugly. Yes, they can be dry, tasteless nasty things.

If done properly, however (and yes, most grocery stores do them right these days in the manner that Gambino'ss and Heydel originated) they are works of art for your taste buds.

You can make a cardboard box look pretty with fondant, but it does not satisfy the most important requirement of a cake or pastry: that it taste amazing.

Who cares it they're ugly?

Oh, and there is now a new variant, I think it's about 7 or 8 years old - it's a giant jelly filled donut king cake. There are a couple of places in NO that make them and one in BTR. You wouldn't think they are heavenly, but oh my. They certainly are!

Don't like them, don't eat them. More for the rest of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter