Kindle? Why not a good old fashioned book?

DD has a Nook and I'll be getting a Kindle soon. Can anyone tell me what the real benefit is to getting the 3G over the regular Wifi one? DD's Nook is the 3G one, because the WiFi at her school is spotty (prep school in the mountains). I'm just not sure I need it because we have wireless here at home and I have it at school. Thoughts?

Oh and I've already downloaded some free books on my PC with the Kindle for PC and the Nook for PC. Free apps that I use ALL the time especially at work! Love this feature!

For me, the deciding factor was that I don't have WiFi with me everywhere I go and I may need to look at something at any given time. If you don't foresee the need to ever need the browser or to download anything outside of WiFi, then I'd save the $50. BUT, in all the reviews I've read, I've not heard of anyone regretting spending the extra $50 and lots regretting NOT having spent it.

For me, the deciding factor was that I don't have WiFi with me everywhere I go and I may need to look at something at any given time. If you don't foresee the need to ever need the browser or to download anything outside of WiFi, then I'd save the $50. BUT, in all the reviews I've read, I've not heard of anyone regretting spending the extra $50 and lots regretting NOT having spent it.

Thank you, I think you're right. 3G it is!

DD has a Nook and I'll be getting a Kindle soon. Can anyone tell me what the real benefit is to getting the 3G over the regular Wifi one? DD's Nook is the 3G one, because the WiFi at her school is spotty (prep school in the mountains). I'm just not sure I need it because we have wireless here at home and I have it at school. Thoughts?

Oh and I've already downloaded some free books on my PC with the Kindle for PC and the Nook for PC. Free apps that I use ALL the time especially at work! Love this feature!

Just curious why you would get a kindle and not a nook like your daughter. If you got a nook, you could share books?

thanks

OT, my son just finished the The Rings books for the second time. He read them once at about 10, but this time at 13 he is in it for the details. I never read the silmarillion. Is it a story, or just information? KWIM? I'm thinking of picking it up for him. I know you are obviously biased, but would you suggest it for a kid at that stage?

I don't have a kindle but I use my dad's acct. and read on my phone. I love having a couple hundred books available at a click, and a bible when I forget mine!

(It's more of a dry history book than a good epic story. Lots of things that were only hinted at in The Lord of the Rings, like what exactly is a Balrog? Who was Morgoth, that Legolas mentions? Where exactly is Frodo going on the ship at the end of the movie? These questions, and more! are answered in The Sil, but the style of writing is very historical. It took me years to actually read the whole thing. I kept getting all those elves mixed up. But, go ahead and get it for him!)

It's just a description. Do you have a better term? I was using "book-book". Which sounds really babyish. The descriptive term, just like "brick and mortar" mentioned above, is just that, a description. I can't get away from the fact that paper is made of dead trees, as I live in Tacoma WA looking over the pulp mill at the waterfront...every single day, trees brought in, pulp taken out... So "tree books" no..."tree-based books"? Hmm. But it indicates that there's something else in it...yes, ink and adhesives... Anyway, it's just a descriptive term to differentiate between e-book and, um, book-book.
DS's homeschool stuff is in paper format, I go to the library, etc etc.

How about paper books? You used paper to describe the homeschool work.

I have a Kindle and frequent the Kindleboards occasionally, but there is no way I'm calling them DTB's. To me that seems insulting to the books ;) I call them paper books also.

If I were buying a new Kindle today, I'd go with the less expensive one.

You ONLY need the wi-fi when you're actively buying a book. Once you've bought it, you don't need that feature any longer -- once it's on your Kindle, it's there. It's on the hard drive, and you could read that book in outer space.

I'm discounting the value of the internet browser because we have other methods of getting internet service: Phones, laptops, and the Kindle isn't as fast as these other options. I just want the Kindle for books.

So, I don't have a Kindle, but I have the free app on my iTouch and I love it for travel! I mostly read borrowed books (from friends or libraries) but I really do love being able to carry so many books in my pocket when I travel. :) If I traveled more, I would get a bigger eReader.

I'm discounting the value of the internet browser because we have other methods of getting internet service: Phones, laptops, and the Kindle isn't as fast as these other options. I just want the Kindle for books.
Several people have mentioned when cruising, or at Disney (and not wanting to pay the $9.95 a day or go to McDonald's) the 3G enables you to read and send email at no charge.

What is the fascination with Kindle's and E-Readers? Why are they replacing books? I absolutely love my home library. When I read, I like holding a book and flipping the pages. It seems though, that books are becoming obsolete. What makes electronic books better than paper books?

I am having more and more vision problems as I get older. The eReaders' ability to enlarge the font size has really sold me. I don't have to try & find large font books or hold a book as heavy as a large font book is.

Otherwise, I don't see this as an either/or issue yet. I still get many illustrated art books & how-to books in paper form.

I was going to address that but didn't want to bog myself down. Could get confused by a skimmer with "paperback".

But what IS paper, but dead trees?

The analogy is pretty poor when comparing a dead tree book (which describes what it is made of) with an e-reader (which describes what it does). How about dead tree books vs. processed hydrocarbon books? -- Suzanne

There are many free books available. Also with the Nook you can access library books for free. I believe you can also do that for the Kindle but I personally haven't done that.

Also, "a kindle gizmo"? :confused3 Why do you call it that?

I'm glad you're happy with the way you do things. I don't have all the latest technologies either, but I do see that others might value them/want to have them/just plain like them!

No reason, it's just a word.
Has "gizmo" become a 4 letter word and nobody told me? ;)

"Gizmo: A nonsensical placeholder name for something that one does not know the proper term for; gadget; whatchamacallit; thingamajig; jobbyjobber."

I never said that anyone had to agree with me...:rotfl:
and anyone can like anything they choose to. :confused:
You can call me an "alternative opinion."
Sorry if my opinion offended you, it's only my opinion.:upsidedow
I like a real book as I sit enjoying the fire in my wood stove,
and if the power goes out for 5 days like it does
every other winter when we get an ice storm,
I'll still be enjoying my real book by the warmth of my wood stove.:cloud9:

The Kindle can outlast even the 7 days we were without power last year (and I too was parked in front of the wood stove, with several foster kittens keeping my lap warm). However this year we bought a generator, so hopefully we won't have yet another power outage. I have read that without the wifi on the battery lasts up to a month.

With me, it's not either/or. I'll read cereal box backs, so if I find a regular book at a garage sale, I'll have no problem reading that also.

I like a real book as I sit enjoying the fire in my wood stove,
and if the power goes out for 5 days like it does
every other winter when we get an ice storm,
I'll still be enjoying my real book by the warmth of my wood stove.:cloud9:

i love this thread! i have learned a lot about the two just from reading it! i am interested in the nook because i want to be able to share books, and i want to be able to get them from libraries.
my question - can you surf the internet using 3g on the nook?

I got an email from Staples today, saying they are now carrying the Kindle. I wonder if the Kindle will be exempt from their coupons.

While I love the feel, sound and smell of books, my vision has gotten to the point that I no longer enjoy reading for prolonged periods of time. I already have very strong eyeglasses and I'm not a candidate for surgery. There aren't enough books in Large Print to keep me satisfied so I have decided to buy a Kindle so that I can control the size of the font.

This is one of the reasons I got mine. The other reason is because I read what I'm in the mood to read. When I travel I end up taking so many books along that my carry-on weighs more than my suitcase. I love that I can take so many books with me right in my purse.

If there is a book that I think my husband would enjoy reading then I don't download it onto my Kindle, we buy it so we can both enjoy it. We have 5 floor to ceiling bookcases crammed full of books. I don't have any more space for more books.

I was somewhat able to justify the purchase because I love to read the older classics (Louisa May Alcott, Victor Hugo, Charles Dickens) and they are free.

i love this thread! i have learned a lot about the two just from reading it! i am interested in the nook because i want to be able to share books, and i want to be able to get them from libraries.
my question - can you surf the internet using 3g on the nook?

Nope just buy books on the 3G

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter