kindle or nook?

dpratt68

DIS Veteran
I started looking at the nook color when the price dropped last week. I have heard great things about kindle fire as well. Can anyone tell me pros or cons of either?

Both are very nice and you should be happy either way.

Nook- expandable memory using microSD cards, has a pretty nice "read to me" feature that works well for kids books

Fire- I feel it is easier to use, a little faster processor, extra storage available through the Amazon cloud, long term may have more apps because it sells more units, Amazon Prime is nice although it is $80/year

Like I said above, everyone I talk to that owns either one is happy. They are both good for web browsing, they can both stream Netflix, play games, read books and mags. The content prices are very comparable.

Hope this helps!

Both are very nice and you should be happy either way.

Nook- expandable memory using microSD cards, has a pretty nice "read to me" feature that works well for kids books

Fire- I feel it is easier to use, a little faster processor, extra storage available through the Amazon cloud, long term may have more apps because it sells more units, Amazon Prime is nice although it is $80/year

Like I said above, everyone I talk to that owns either one is happy. They are both good for web browsing, they can both stream Netflix, play games, read books and mags. The content prices are very comparable.

Hope this helps!

Thanks it does

We have an early version basic Kindle and a Nook Color. I think the Kindle is much more user friendly in that I can figure my way around without instructions. We have had issues w/the Nook trying to figure out how to find apps to load and have taken it to B&N twice to get things working again. Maybe we just got a bad one, but it seems harder to use & has frozen a few times.

If you plan to play games, there are not nearly as many as are available on the Kindle. Since our library now loans ebooks to both devices, I wish we'd gone with the Fire.

At this point each device is really similar so it just depends on which company you would rather give your business to. I am happier shopping with Amazon than B&N so I am a Kindle girl.

I have a kindle fire and love the fact that the wifi and my amazon prime and the cloud. I find the digital keyboard difficult to type on.

Love my nook tablet - had no problems setting it up on Christmas morning - Did it in about 5 minutes. My favorite thing is to download books from our state library. Therefore I am not buying books.

I have a nook, but I have to admit-I am considering buying the kindle fire. It seems like there are more free kindle books than nook books anymore.

Psst, the iPad will do both Kindle and Nook plus it will do iBooks and more. But if Kindle and Nook are only two choices, you can check out books from the library on a Nook.

Psst, the iPad will do both Kindle and Nook plus it will do iBooks and more. But if Kindle and Nook are only two choices, you can check out books from the library on a Nook.

And the iPad cost 3x more.

Library books can be checked out on the kindles now to so that is no longer a big deciding factor for a lot of people.

I get kindle free thru my samsung S2 phone.... picked up several free books there to read.. i'm all aout the price of $0.00 at checkout.. ha ha

...if Kindle and Nook are only two choices, you can check out books from the library on a Nook.

I can check out books from my local library through Kindle. I actually don't even have a Kindle device; I just have the free Kindle app on my smartphone.

I have the Kindle Fire and I do not have Prime. I am not so worried about streaming, and you can only "borrow" one book a month with the prime.....that would last me 1/2 a day! I have paid for only 2 books that I really, really wanted (Hunger games 2 and 3) and the rest have been FREE! I have ready over 100 books since I got it in January. I read all the time. I like the free paid app of the day because I can get games that my family can play together and I have some apps that are actually flash cards so my bigs can practice the math basics and keep up fluency.

I chose the Kindle over the Nook because of the cloud and nto having to expand my data with a card. I can keep everything in my cloud and download it when I am going to be away from wifi. I like the easy of using it, its very intrinsic in its use and my small kids keep turning it on and playing with it without difficulity. They are just turned 2 and soon to be 4. I have several free books downloaded that are for kids. I don't understand the comparison that you can't play a kids book because that is an option for all but 2 of my kids books???

Actually, with the announcement of Ipad 3, the iPad 2 took a $100 price drop. It is now only twice the price of a Kindle Fire for a 16gb wifi only model.

ummm..exactly- I'm like OP looking for a useful tablet, but not able to spend ipad $$$

as long as we're comparing, does the Ipod touch compare in any way to these 2 devices? Like, I;m thinking an Ipod touch,or a nook....which is a better 'toy'? I see the nook holds music,too?

If you read a lot I think a Kindle is a better choice. There are SO many free books for Kindle. I bought mine in January and I have only paid for 1 book (and it was only .25). I read all the time and I love not having to pay for books. If you do go with the Kindle sign up for the pixelofink.com newsletter. They will send you emails everyday with links to free books, and while a lot of them are things I'm not interested in I still manage to find 1 or 2 everyday.

don't you have to pay for prime membership to get the free kindle books?

don't you have to pay for prime membership to get the free kindle books?

No. I don't have Prime and I have gotten lots of free books. The free books are available to everyone - even those who don't have Kindles and just use Kindle for PC or the Kindle app on their ipads or other devices. As far as I know there aren't any books that only Prime members can purchase for $0.00, but maybe someone who is a Prime member could clarify that. Prime members do have access to a free lending library. The free books you get through that are just on loan to you and I believe you can only borrow one a month. So it's a nice perk, but that on it's own doesn't make it worth paying for Prime in my opinion. (But if you stream movies or order lots of things from Amazon then it's well worth it.) I have hundred of books on my Kindle and I've paid for fewer than 20 of them - and I'm really selective. There are some people who have thousands of books and haven't paid for any of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter