• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kindle on board?

MassDisLovers

A dream is a wish your heart makes....
Has anyone used a Kindle onboard? It would be so nice to load it up for the trip and not have to take multiple books . Since it works on cell phone service, I'm wondering if it works at sea.

I am interested to see responses on this, also. I got the Barnes & Noble Nook, but it doesn't ship until 2/1. Hoping it arrives in time for our cruise on 2/7.

The only time it needs to "connect" to the service is if you are downloading a book..

Make sure to load up lots of books and you will be fine.

I have never cruised before, but am planning on taking my Kindle. However, I am going to "load up" on books before I go (like when I go to Europe). I have the older Kindle 2, not the "international" version, so I assumed that the wireless feature wouldn't work on board. I would be interested to hear from someone who knows!

I used my Kindle App on my iphone to read my books. Had my phone set to "airplane" so it wouldn't receive or send anything and could read my books and use my camera and play games that weren't internet driven as much as I wanted. No extra charge.
I would assume that if you have all the books you want loaded before you board, you'll be able to read them. Probably just don't want to order a book while at sea (if it would even let you).

Lots of people had them on our 12/12 cruise...but they were reading, not downloading. Do your downloading at home in advance!

Has anyone used a Kindle onboard? It would be so nice to load it up for the trip and not have to take multiple books . Since it works on cell phone service, I'm wondering if it works at sea.

I used mine in August. I downloaded all of the books I wanted to read before leaving home. I also ended up downloading one at the airport after reading the back cover in the airport book store. :) It felt great not having to try and pack a ton of hardback books, stressing about going over the weight limit. All I needed to read was on one little device.

While on the beach at CC, I used a zip loc bag to protect it from sand and water. Very easy to read through. For Xmas DH, gave me a M-Edge Kindle Leisure Jacket, nicer looking than a ziploc and protects it from the elements. I will use it for travel.

Just like with any other electronic devices, I didn't leave it laying around on a lounge chair. I always carried it around in one of the mesh bags we get for being returning cruisers.

I was on the Western last week - tried to connect a few times with the Kindle when my Blackberry (Verizon service) was receiving such as in Cozumel and Key West, but the Kindle didn't like those places. However, I had plenty of books pre-loaded and got lots of attention and questions from people about it!

Just like with any other electronic devices, I didn't leave it laying around on a lounge chair. I always carried it around in one of the mesh bags we get for being returning cruisers.

I usually "hide" my Kindle in a bag under my beach chair when I am swimming. Is this good enough?

I used my Kindle App on my iphone to read my books. Had my phone set to "airplane" so it wouldn't receive or send anything

Do you also turn off the data search? I want to use the iphone camera, calculator & ipod.

Thanks!

Do you also turn off the data search? I want to use the iphone camera, calculator & ipod.
Thanks!

By switching to airplane mode, it prevented me from accidentally hitting the internet button or the mail button and automatically downloading. It also prevented anyone from sending me anything. And to be on the safe side, I turned my email accounts off too.
Once I knew everything was "off" then I could relax and use all the features that didn't require internet/3G. Camera, music, kindle w/ preloaded books, some games, calculator, clock/alarm/timer, etc. It worked great.

We used ours onboard during our cruise- had lots of lookers too!

If you are going to try to connect from the ship's phone system, you will have to go by the Kindle's International location rules -- I suspect.

I did what many others have suggested, I downloaded a bunch of books before I left, and never turned the phone feature back on. Mine is a regular Kindle 2, so I didn't buy an international version. If you pick ten or so books before you go, do you need to connect while aboard?

I do protect my Kindle pretty carefully, but you can easily notify Amazon should it be stolen, so is it really stealable? Not that some fruitcake might not take it not realizing that it can be permanently disabled by Amazon, but I did start to wonder how much I should worry.

They are great for traveling though. It weighs a fraction of the weight of one book and mine has over 90 books on it at this point.

I've used my Kindle on 4 cruises. Like others have suggested, download the books before you leave Port Canaveral. (If you don't have time before leaving home, spend the first afternoon selecting and downloading before the ship sails. It will connect if you are on the open decks and still in port.) I like to have a selection of 10-15 books because I never know what I'll feel like reading. The only other port the regular kindles (non-international) will connect in is Key West. Once the ship sails, make sure the connection is turned off so it doesn't drain your battery.

As far as using on the beach, I just use a quart/gallon-size ziploc bag to keep out sand and water. Have never had a problem (even when it started to rain on our last CC stop). If I'm going to be next to the pool, I use the ziploc too. On Castaway Cay, I keep it in my bag on the chair while in the water. Just don't keep it in plain sight and generally keep an eye on the chairs as I would with any valuables left there. Don't really worry about that as I would a camera as I don't think most people know what they are unless they have them -- yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter