Kind of desperate totally confused???

Maybe this is why I have four cans of red kidney beans in my cabnient now:confused: and no idea what to do with them LOL:confused3 but I had bogo coupons :rotfl2:

Red beans and rice...that's what I would do...

I just started couponing, but the lesson I take away is to stockpile your food so that you are never paying more than 50% of the retail price. That means when you need something, you should have it on hand and only need to buy it when it comes on sale again. Use your coupons at places that double/triple the coupons and combine them with sales and the store's coupons to rack up savings.

I used to use grocerygame, but I ended up buying too much stuff we didn't really use (I donated them). I like MyFrugalAdventures dot com, mrsmoneysaver dot com and couponmom dot com. Really I save the most on hair products (adds up, both D and I have long, naturally curly hair--we use a lot of conditioner), laundry soap, pastas, etc. I stock up when I can match coupon and sales, like everyone else mentioned. I make up menus for the week, usually. I do keep "emergancy meals" in the freezer...things like meatballs for albondigas soup, the base for chicken tortilla soup, homemade pasta sauce.

I try to match coupons with sale items. Our grocery stores double coupons up to $1.

I use store brands and am not brand specific.

Another thing I have started & I found I can do some big time savings is checking the drug store ads each week. Believe it or not you can get some great deals on not only personal items, but some food items as well. Things like peanut butter, coffee, snacks items, etc.

The drug stores offer rebates & coupons off of future purchases (usually good for 7-10 days) which can be a real money saver. Today at Rite-Aid I got 2 brand name contact solutions & 10 different snack food items (Cheez-It's, Lays Stax & Combos) for under $15. The contact solution alone is over $15. I then received $7 in coupons for next weeks' purchase.

Also, check out the website Hip2Save.com. She matches up coupons with ads for the drug store chains & also Target & some of the dollar stores. I've gotten some great deals at Target also.

It takes an hour or so each week to match things up, but it's usually worth it. When I first began I did buy a few things that I really didn't need but because I thought they were a good deal I got them. Like someone else said, if you don't use it, it's not a good deal.

It takes time to figure out, really!

I use SouthernSavers.com to match coupons to sales.

When I am diligent, I clip and organize in a zipped notebook with baseball card holders in them to sort and organize.

A great website for figuring it all out is HotCouponWorld.com

I am actually going this weekend to a seminar on couponing!

Dawn

I don't know if you have a Publix near you, or shop there often, but I love that store. They often times have store coupon booklets at the front of the store, that are easily stacked with manufacturer coupons, and with sale prices.

A lot of times too, those that get that really great deal... they will only buy 1 product of a BoGo, then stack a coupon. So the product is sold at 50% off. Depending on your state, depends on how the store does the sale. In florida, it's truly buy one get one free, you can't buy just one for 50% off. Unless the item is marked as 2/3$ or something, then one item is half that price.

For publix I love the site, Iheartpublix.com. I used it mostly to see the follow week's ad. Then stack store coupon with manufacture (newspaper), with BoGo.

You also have to learn the sale styles/routine. Like when certain products go on sale, and how often. If you love Lay's potato chips, well they go on sale about every 5 weeks, followed by Ruffles, then usually Doritoes or Cheetos or some other brand like that.

Popular meals, like Thankgiving, Christmas, July 4th, Easter... they're all preceded by sales of popular dishes. It's a great time for stocking up the pantry items that don't usually wind up on sale.

Also check the store's website for coupons. Sometimes they'll have additional savings connected to the reward cards.

OP - I've posted a similar question here in the past...just don't get how those people do it. What I have discovered is that where you live makes a big difference in coupons, store policies on doubling, as well as food prices. We have double coupons for those items under $1, but almost all the coupons in our inserts are for $1, so no doubling. And recently, a lot of them are now a coupon only if you buy 2 of an item. Our stores generally don't give their own coupons, just items on sale. Also, our coupons are different (a lot of non grocery/toiletry items like coupons for checks and slippers, etc.). So I save the coupons I can, try to match up with sales, and sometimes catch a really good deal! You have to do the best you can and try to not make yourself crazy.

OP - I've posted a similar question here in the past...just don't get how those people do it. What I have discovered is that where you live makes a big difference in coupons, store policies on doubling, as well as food prices. We have double coupons for those items under $1, but almost all the coupons in our inserts are for $1, so no doubling. And recently, a lot of them are now a coupon only if you buy 2 of an item. Our stores generally don't give their own coupons, just items on sale. Also, our coupons are different (a lot of non grocery/toiletry items like coupons for checks and slippers, etc.). So I save the coupons I can, try to match up with sales, and sometimes catch a really good deal! You have to do the best you can and try to not make yourself crazy.
I agree with this. It's good to use those "must buy 2" coupons (which I don't like!!!) when you can on a BOGO.

Also, I used to by-pass coupons for items I used generic or purchased at Aldi. I've found that sometimes with a coupon, especially on a BOGO, I can get a better deal on that name brand item.

Its a matter of matching coupons with the sales and only buying what you would normally get. Dont clip the coupons until you need them. Keep them in the circular and file them away according to the date. Get multiple copies of the circulars if you can. It helps when there are *must buy two* sales. Make your shopping list according to the sales. Then visit a website that has a coupon database like afullcup.com or hotcouponworld.com. Look up the items and find where a coupon for it can be found (if one exists).

Dont forget to stack store coupons with manufacturer coupons. Double coupon stores are your friend. So are the ones that accept web coupons. Make sure that you sign up at the store website for there own digital coupons that can be added to your frequent shopper card.

Stock up on items that you use often. Last week there was alot of creamed soups on sale. Combined with coupons they were only a few cents each. Thats a big savings when you consider that they can be closer to a dollar a can when they are not on sale.

Look for deals where the store offers a coupon at check out for $X off your next order wyb multiples of something. Those deals can add up!

Finally, dont buy what you dont need unless it is free or boosts your savings so that it is free. Those free things can be donated to a food pantry and they will be sure to use them.

Also find out if you store accepts competitors coupons. Most of the grocery stores here print out coupons after you check out. Two of our stores accept competitors coupons so we can use them at another store if there is a sale.

Maybe this is why I have four cans of red kidney beans in my cabnient now:confused: and no idea what to do with them LOL:confused3 but I had bogo coupons :rotfl2:

I use the cans of red kidney beans all the time to make chili. 1 can of beans + one can of diced tomatoes + 1 lb. browned ground beef + a packet of chili seasoning from Aldi's = a really good quick chili for dinner. I'll stretch it by adding a small can of tomato sauce or if we're really hungry, I'll make a double batch, served with homemade cornbread. Sour cream and shredded cheddar to add to the chili makes it really yummy. :thumbsup2

-Astrid

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter