Kind of annoyed... Is this even legal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your dad is just watching out for you then. You've given him just cause for concern.

She is 30 year olf married woman. Whatever her dad's motives . . .And he does seem to be looking out for her . . . It's still her choice to share or not share with him.

financial information falls within the statute.

I think you handled it appropriately.

The law doesn't ask why you want things private. It only says that information is private unless you allow the doctor to share it.

I actually do think that financial info falls within the statute. But I wouldn't complain to the doctor...it's my father I'd talk to. Now personally, I wouldn't care. My parents and I had a close relationship, and I'd never dream of hollering HIPPA for such slight info as the last time I was in or even the bill, if I thought he was going to pay the thing for me.

It wouldn't make me think that the dentists' office was going to give out my financial info to LulaBelle off the street.

I actually do think that financial info falls within the statute. But I wouldn't complain to the doctor...it's my father I'd talk to. Now personally, I wouldn't care. My parents and I had a close relationship, and I'd never dream of hollering HIPPA for such slight info as the last time I was in or even the bill, if I thought he was going to pay the thing for me.

It wouldn't make me think that the dentists' office was going to give out my financial info to LulaBelle off the street.

The statute specifies that financial information falls within the information to be protected.

I'm 51 years old and I love my parents dearly. But they don't need to know if I forgot to pay a dental bill or that I am overdue for a cleaning.

If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will be very happy. Anyone who sees me walk through the door of the office knows I went to the dentist. It's not remotely private.

You've already run through two dentists now...including one you like. Your issue is with your parents, not the dentist, in my book.

You are obnoxious and out of line. First of all, I haven't "run through two dentists." The first one was 7 years ago, and over charging me by $1,100, and then kept the money for almost a year before I found out. Your telling me you would stay with a medical practice that did that to you??? Second, your comment of "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will be very happy." Who the heck said this was the worst thing that has ever happened to me? I just asked opinions of people as to if this was illegal. That was it. I stood up for myself, and I will not apologize for that.
To me, you sound like a disgruntled medical office employee that was fired justly for doing something just like this....

You are obnoxious and out of line. First of all, I haven't "run through two dentists." The first one was 7 years ago, and over charging me by $1,100, and then kept the money for almost a year before I found out. Your telling me you would stay with a medical practice that did that to you??? Second, your comment of "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will be very happy." Who the heck said this was the worst thing that has ever happened to me? I just asked opinions of people as to if this was illegal. That was it. I stood up for myself, and I will not apologize for that.
To me, you sound like a disgruntled medical office employee that was fired justly for doing something just like this....

I hope the person who gave your dad that info isn't fired. Do you really want them fired?

It's not a major tragedy, true, but obviously it was something that bothered you, OP.

There is a reason that the law precludes sharing information with family members. Frankly the dentist's office put the OP in an awkward position with her parents. Not earth shattering but still . . .

What if it had been a doctor? what if he had revealed his patient was pregnant? Had plastic surgery? Had a terminal illness?

The law bars sharing personal information. Period.

It's not a major tragedy, true, but obviously it was something that bothered you, OP.

There is a reason that the law precludes sharing information with family members. Frankly the dentist's office put the OP in an awkward position with her parents. Not earth shattering but still . . .

What if it had been a doctor? what if he had revealed his patient was pregnant? Had plastic surgery? Had a terminal illness?

The law bars sharing personal information. Period.

I kinda of see your point, but it was her dad not a stranger, I'm sure it won't happen again. OP I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Your parents are doing what parents do try to take care of there kids.

You are obnoxious and out of line. First of all, I haven't "run through two dentists." The first one was over charging me but $1,100, and then kept the money for almost a year before I found out. Second, your comment of "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I will be very happy." Who the heck said this was the worst thing that has ever happened to me? And who the heck are you to even ask about that? I just asked opinions of people as to if this was illegal. That was it. I stood up for myself, and I will not apologize for that.

Not nice,:sad2:

I hope the person who gave your dad that info isn't fired. Do you really want them fired?

Of course not, but then again, if they are doing this to other patients, I don't think that a Drs office is the best setting for them. It is not my place to decide if they should keep their job or not, but it is my job to inform a Drs office that one of their employees are doing illegal practices, that could infact lost the Drs. licence for them.

Of course not, but then again, if they are doing this to other patients, I don't think that a Drs office is the best setting for them. It is not my place to decide if they should keep their job or not, but it is my job to inform a Drs office that one of their employees are doing illegal practices, that could infact lost the Drs. licence for them.

I think you need to have a long talk with your dad.

I think you need to have a long talk with your dad.

Where are you pulling that one from??? As I have already said, that will take place - That has been said, I don't know, 5 times already? But again, that is really not the point. The issue here, is a Drs office giving out personal information. I don't give a darn if its Jesus Christ himself that comes down and asks about me - No matter what, personal information should not be given out. I don't understand why that is so hard for you and the other poster to understand that :confused3

OP, you keep laughing/brushing off these serious issues with your dad.
I truly believe that you are misplacing your anger and frustration here.

I say this will all due respect.
Very SERIOUSLY.... it is your dad/parents that you have the issue with.

You can change dentists, you can report it to the correct authorities who have oversight in these matters... (and, perhaps you would have valid reason) you can do whatever... None of that is not going to change what is really troubling here.

But, I am telling you this with all due respect and your own best interests at heart...

Your parents are the real issue.
There is nothing good about the invasion of privacy and the control, etc.... that your parents are committing.

You are an adult, married, adult.
It is nothing other than wrong that they assume this kind of access to information and control.

You really need to take responsibility for yourself and your own health, and I cannot recommend to you strongly enough that you begin to create some more normal and healthy boundaries with your parents.

And, to be honest, I do not even suggest 'having a talk' with them.
(only likely to create needless drama)
Like the NIKE commercials.
JUST DO IT

You can change dentists, you can report it to the correct authorities who have oversight in these matters... (and, perhaps you would have valid reason) you can do whatever... None of that is not going to change what is really troubling here.

But, I am telling you this with all due respect and your own best interests at heart...

There is nothing good about the invasion of privacy and the control, etc.... that your parents are committing.

It is nothing other than wrong that they assume this kind of access to information and control.

You really need to take responsibility for yourself and your own health, and I cannot recommend to you strongly enough that you begin to create some more normal and healthy boundaries with your parents.

JUST DO IT
Whatever her issues are eith her parents, the dentist's office put itself right in the middle of a family "squabble", which is precisely one of the reasons that the law precludes disclosure to family members unless the patient authorizes it.

JUST DO IT

Ok... So if you don't suggest having a talk with him... what am I supposed to do? Last time I checked, the mental telepathy didn't work, so....

Of course I can change dentists, and not tell them who I'm going to, but if I don't say something to him as to why I'm doing it (his not having "healthy boundries, etc"), then whats the point? As annoyed as I am with the dentist for breaking the laws, I am just as if not more annoyed with my father - I just focused on the dentist part on here because there is a legal part to it with them, unlike with family. More so, the family part was just that, family, and I didn't really want to "get into that" on here. I tried to brush it off because, like I said, I just didn't want to discuss it on here, but I am well aware of it all.

When I was 19 before hippa laws, my mother and I had the same gyno. I went in for a pap because the one had had at the campus health service came back abnormal and I wanted to check it out. I had a little infection, no biggie. My mom happens to go in a few days after me and tells my mom he saw me a couple days ago. Mom knew I was there so no big deal. He then tells her I had an STD. Which I did not have!!!
I called and spoke with him. Yeah he got me confused with another patient. That was the last time I saw that doctor. He's lucky I didn't report him to the state medical board. Even before hippa that wasn't right

Where are you pulling that one from??? As I have already said, that will take place - That has been said, I don't know, 5 times already? But again, that is really not the point. The issue here, is a Drs office giving out personal information. I don't give a darn if its Jesus Christ himself that comes down and asks about me - No matter what, personal information should not be given out. I don't understand why that is so hard for you and the other poster to understand that :confused3

maybe you aren't the one getting it, not everyone shares your opinion or view. There are many many different views and opinions on here.

When I was 19 before hippa laws, my mother and I had the same gyno. I went in for a pap because the one had had at the campus health service came back abnormal and I wanted to check it out. I had a little infection, no biggie. My mom happens to go in a few days after me and tells my mom he saw me a couple days ago. Mom knew I was there so no big deal. He then tells her I had an STD. Which I did not have!!!
I called and spoke with him. Yeah he got me confused with another patient. That was the last time I saw that doctor. He's lucky I didn't report him to the state medical board. Even before hippa that wasn't right

WOW - You really should have reported that doctor. That's a pretty bad mistake to make!

You, as an adult woman, let your father pay your bills at this dentist on your behalf. And that was fine with you.

And when, understandably, the dentist's admin assistant became confused and assumed that if you let someone pay your bills, you wouldn't mind them answering a simple question about a recent appointment, you're suddenly upset that information was shared...

Blurry lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter