Kind of a strange question regarding cooking meat

maslex

DIS Veteran
We have an in law apt on our house and my mother in law came over this morning asking what kind of meat she was holding. There was no label on it. She said she thought she ordered filet mignon (kansas city steak company). I asked what her purchasing label said and she said that it was last month that she ordered it, threw away all paper work and just put it in the freezer, so she has no idea what it was. I'm no expert but to me it looks like a roast of some kinds (has string netting around it) She now thinks it might be a prime rib. I have no clue.

She tells me just to thaw it out and cook it. I told her since I'm off next week for Christmas break, I'll cook it then. BUT since I have no clue what cut of meat this is, what's the best way to go about it?

Usually beef tied with string is a roast, so you could just do the basic roast recipe.

Salt and pepper the heck out of the meat.
Pre heat the oven to the temperature of the sun (or 450).
Roast the beef at that temp fat side up (if there is a fat side) for 15 minutes.
Reduce temp to 325 and I think you roast for something like 15 minutes per pound to an internal temp of 130 for medium rare.

Mash potatoes.
Make a gravy with the drippings.
Serve with peas.

We have an in law apt on our house and my mother in law came over this morning asking what kind of meat she was holding. There was no label on it. She said she thought she ordered filet mignon (kansas city steak company). I asked what her purchasing label said and she said that it was last month that she ordered it, threw away all paper work and just put it in the freezer, so she has no idea what it was. I'm no expert but to me it looks like a roast of some kinds (has string netting around it) She now thinks it might be a prime rib. I have no clue.

She tells me just to thaw it out and cook it. I told her since I'm off next week for Christmas break, I'll cook it then. BUT since I have no clue what cut of meat this is, what's the best way to go about it?
What color is the meat? And what meats are generally purchased in the household?

What color is the meat? And what meats are generally purchased in the household?
well it's frozen, but looks to be the red/brown color a roast would be. She does tend to buy/order filet mignon often enough, but with the string/netting around it, I don't think it's that.

I doubt if it’s filet mignonette or beef tenderloin if it’s netted. That sounds like a beef rump roast or maybe a tip roast. Any idea of shape of the roast? Can u take a pic?

I would assume beef you order online from those places is usually steaks/roast. TV ads show they include a few hamburgers but generally you order form those places for the best cuts of beef. You can also look on their website to see the types of meats they sell. Filet might occasionally be sold in a single large piece, but would never have any bones with it.

Prime rib roast would generally be a fairly large size, especially if she ordered online and enough for several people. Individual size portions would be more like a rib eye steak. Sometimes they cut away the bones and tie it back onto the roast for cooking. Makes for easier slicing when done. Filet is a single portion cut of lean beef, maybe 1-2" thick. I have seen some filet wrapped with bacon tied with a string, since it is so lean and might dry out when cooking.

Filet would be good on the BBQ and you can cook until the desired internal temp based on what everyone's preference is. Large roast like prime rib is best in the oven, BBQ tends to be best for things that cook quickly at a relatively high heat. Rub a small amount of salt/pepper/garlic powder on the exposed surfaces. Set your oven to 350 and use a meat thermometer to tell when done to the desired internal temp. Every roast cooks at a different rate based on the size/bone structure/etc., so you can't tell when a large roast is done by looking at it. I prefer to turn up the temp near the end of cooking so you don't burn the outside only to find the interior is still rare. Beef doneness tends to be a matter of personal preference so there is no one right/wrong way to prepare it. Personally, I like mine more toward the medium-well side. If you cut it, only red inside and blood runs out all over the dish, it needed more cook time..............LOL.

Last edited:
The string netting leads me to think it's a roast. If it has marbling in the meat (not the outside) it's probably a chuck roast or other type that's good for braising (cooking low and slow in a braising liquid). If the meat looks very lean on the inside it's probably a round roast. IMHO round roasts are best when cooked in a dry at a high heat for a relatively short period of time, then sliced thin. You can find lots of good recipes online for both.

Filet mignon are small pieces of meat usually 1-2 inch thick and usually only 3-4 inch in diameter. If it's bigger than that then no it is not a filet.
yes, I already know it's not filet. I've bought those many times before. I've never bought a piece of meat with string/netting on it. I'm just wondering if it's a roast or prime rib or something else.

yes, I already know it's not filet. I've bought those many times before. I've never bought a piece of meat with string/netting on it. I'm just wondering if it's a roast or prime rib or something else.
It’s probably some sort of roast. Never seen a prime rib roast covered in netting.
GL!

Looking at their website -- they do have a number of prime rib and beef tenderloin roasts. The center cut prime rib roast (boneless) looks like it had netting on it.

But good heavens...the prices. She needs to either call or open her account online to see what she actually ordered. You don't want to fool around with a $100-$250 roast by cooking it wrong.

1702928849967.png

Did she get an email confirmation, that would show what she got.

While those online steak places may seem like a good idea as a gift, I am not sure why anyone would shop there for their own meats. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and it's 30 miles to the nearest grocery store, you clearly pay TOP dollar for these products and has to be shipped in suitable refrigerated containers for perishable products along with expedited shipping. Even if they offer 'free' shipping, you are indirectly paying for it in premium price of their products.

The netting shown in that picture above is probably to help the roast hold its shape during cooking. More from an appearance/presentation perspective than anything else. Looks like a boneless prime rib in that picture.

Last edited:
@lovesmurfs - You are right. I’ve never seen a center cut prime rib well at least in a really long time. Used to first cuts with the ribs clearly delineated. Living and learning. Thanks for pointing that out.

Looking at their website -- they do have a number of prime rib and beef tenderloin roasts. The center cut prime rib roast (boneless) looks like it had netting on it.

But good heavens...the prices. She needs to either call or open her account online to see what she actually ordered. You don't want to fool around with a $100-$250 roast by cooking it wrong.

View attachment 818650
Even though it's still frozen...........THIS is what it looks like. She's an odd one, I can tell ya that. She is the type of person that doesn't have a care in the world on how much money she spends on stuff. If it's not what she thinks it was or doesn't want something anymore she will either give it away or simply throw it out (but claims poverty all the time....sooooooooooo) I've seen her buy 3 Ninja air fryers within a month without a care in the world. She bought the first one and after having it a week (never used it yet) my daughter in law said something to the affect of "oh that's a nice air fryer" and BOOM, she gave it to her. Then jokingly I say to my mother in law......."what the heck, I would have taken it, you should have asked me LOL" Literally a couple days later Amazon delivers one to her and she says she'll keep in on the bakers rack (a place where we keep larger appliances to share....I mean who needs two of everything). So she used it a couple times over the next couple of weeks and brought it over to my house and told me to keep it for myself because she ordered a different one for herself. Reason why????? She liked the display panel on the 3rd better. OY VEY!!!!!!!!! Anyhow, thanks for letting me ramble and thanks for solving the case. Now I'm going to look up some recipes on how to cook this thing.

Even though it's still frozen...........THIS is what it looks like. She's an odd one, I can tell ya that. She is the type of person that doesn't have a care in the world on how much money she spends on stuff. If it's not what she thinks it was or doesn't want something anymore she will either give it away or simply throw it out (but claims poverty all the time....sooooooooooo) I've seen her buy 3 Ninja air fryers within a month without a care in the world. She bought the first one and after having it a week (never used it yet) my daughter in law said something to the affect of "oh that's a nice air fryer" and BOOM, she gave it to her. Then jokingly I say to my mother in law......."what the heck, I would have taken it, you should have asked me LOL" Literally a couple days later Amazon delivers one to her and she says she'll keep in on the bakers rack (a place where we keep larger appliances to share....I mean who needs two of everything). So she used it a couple times over the next couple of weeks and brought it over to my house and told me to keep it for myself because she ordered a different one for herself. Reason why????? She liked the display panel on the 3rd better. OY VEY!!!!!!!!! Anyhow, thanks for letting me ramble and thanks for solving the case. Now I'm going to look up some recipes on how to cook this thing.
Repeat after me,……you know mom, one thing I’ve always wanted to do, was to share Disney during (insert favorite season) with you and ( insert people) but we never seem to get there. Ahhh maybe one day, we’ll be able to. Then walk away thoughtfully.

View attachment 818650

I know it's a marketing shot, but that looks pretty dang good! 🥲

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter