kids with harness leashes?

I would never use one in most cases, but in a big place like Disney it is definately better to be safe than sorry... The big thing is, you know what your child is like and if that is what will make him/her safe, then there is nothing cruel about it.

My kids 7, 6 and 2 were all different. The first two used to walk right by my side and not go anywhere. The third one will be 2 yrs 5 months when we go in May and he is the same as yours - he arches his body when I try to put him back in his stroller once he's been out for a bit - and he doesn't like to hold hands....and he's a runner!!! Not sure yet if we're going to get one, but I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with using one for Disney.

I don't plan on using it all the time. If we are waiting for the bus or whatever she'll either be sitting in the stroller waiting or climbing in with us, not wearing the harness. The harness would be for the times she desperately wants to walk but its too busy for me to feel comfortable just relying on her holding our hand.
That's good, and I wasn't suggesting that you would do any differently, and I was not gearing that towards you in particular, just a general comment to all. As I have seen caregivers use harnesses as leashes, which almost caused a death (involving a bus back door alot of packages and a cell phone, which was narrowly averted by the quick reaction of another passenger) again, not geared at you, just general.

How often do you see it at DW?

I'm seriously considering getting one for our upcoming trip for my daughter. She'll be 2 years 9 months at the time of our trip and she gets irritated at having to stay in the stroller for any length of time, but she's Miss Independence and hates having to hold our hand when she's walking. I'm really not up for a week long battle, and she's just not aware enough of her surroundings to be trusted to just walk with us, she's still a baby after all. Plus if its busy I want to have her securely with us at all times.

I'm considering this one:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3355298

Are there lots of little ones harnessed or will we be the odd ones out?

You sill not be the odd ones out. We used one with my youngest dd who was 5 on our trip and there were many others using them. Target does have some cute ones for a lot less than the Minnie one but they are not Disney ones. We used the Monkey one for my DD.

My DD4 is a runner and with her having ADHD she is hard to hold onto. We have the monkey leash at home and she looks it as a matter of fact, she had it on last night at home and she calls tha leash her tail. Don;t worry about looks or stares it is about keeping your child safe. We wil be there in April with our leash.:yay:

I have one. Its a bear one. I will be bringing it to Disney with us. My son will be about 22months at the time and right now he loves to just take off. I dont want to risk losing him in a huge place like DisneyWorld. :)

I urge you to use great caution with these. I could see an incident involving a bus door/escalator/elevator, do your best to use these only as an absolute back up and never rely on them.

Except for the elevator, all of the above situations are ones where a child of this age should be carried.

The proper length for the rein of the harness is so that when let drop, the end of the rein hits at about the height of the child's ankles -- NOT touching the ground. Any longer than that and you risk getting too much distance between parent and child in a crowd situation. Shorten it if you have to; it's best.

My dd LOVED her monkey! We would take the strap off, and she wore the thing around everywhere!! In the house, out to eat.. It was her security blanket. We only put the strap back on if we went somewhere crowded.. Like Disneyland.. But I swear the thing was on her back for a good two years.

I just cant do it...I made DD Dad promise me when I was pregnant wed never put her on leash..I undertsand its for safety and all but I just cant wrap my head around it...Maybe its just me :rolleyes1

I think this topics easily relates to the discussions regarding fanny packs and sensible shoes...

Better a fanny pack than a lost purse.
Better sensible shoes than blisters.
Better a toddler on a leash than lost crying children AND PARENTS.

I think people should do whatever is best for them... yeah, I am a fanny pack user:lmao:
I was a bit turned off though when I saw a child that had to be around 8 with one of the monkey ones last week. I thought that the monkey was a clever idea, but 8ish:eek:

I have the monkey one but would love the mickey mouse one for our disneyland trip in April but can't get them here in Canada, i thought that i could grab one when we go down but only available online.

I think people should do whatever is best for them... yeah, I am a fanny pack user:lmao:
I was a bit turned off though when I saw a child that had to be around 8 with one of the monkey ones last week. I thought that the monkey was a clever idea, but 8ish:eek:

Maybe said child had a medical reason for needing the harness. You just never know and it may very well be the one thing that can prevent him from being injured or going missing. I know a little boy with autism that very well could be using one because he does take off on his parents and it is unsafe but sitting him in a stroller for long periods is not an option either. There was another mom on here recently looking for a harness for her child with a special need so like I said you just never know the reason.

I'd rather endure the stares for keeping my kid safe than the looks I'd get for losing my child! I think Minnie is cute. It allows your daughter some independence within safe parameters. Go for it!

does anyone have any information on one of these that might work for a very active 4-almost-5 years old nephew? He tends to get away very easily and I told my sister we need to get something to keep him with our small group of 6 in May. The one harness would be too small and I doubt he'll want to hold hands very long.

So, any ideas?

We used a leash that looked like a doggie back pack (similar to the monkey one) with our 19 month old at WDW and it worked great. She LOVED it and the freedom to choose for herself between the leash & the stroller.

As long as you are still actually watching/paying attention to your child I don't see any more real safety risk than not using a leash. Now if you are dragging them along or they are pulling away from you in crowds (creating a tripping hazard)...then that is obviously time to do something else...not use the leash. I usually wrapped our around my hand a few times to keep it shortened & baby close to me. We also didn't use it in crowded areas.

And don't worry about people's looks. People who need to judge others always find a reason to judge you (you use a leash on your kid, your kids is too old for a stroller, etc.) that is their problem, not yours. They'd also be the first people to neagatively comment on your parenting skills when your child gets lost. (stepping down from my soapbox now).

Oh, I wanted to add that we had a leash for our eldest when she was a toddler, but she always liked to act like a dog (get on all fours & bark) when we put it one her, needless to say we took the hint & did NOT use it on her.:rotfl2:

I love these Disney ones! I was going to get the monkey until I saw Minnie. My DS will be 2 months shy of his 5th birthday when we go, but he is very small for his age (about 41 inches and very skinny). does anyone know if this will fit him? I gave him the option of wearing this or holding a hand and he seemed really excited about a Pooh harness, not so much with holding a hand.

thanks

We are just back from Disney and we saw lots of "leash kids" as my DD called them. Some of the leashes were really cute - monkey backpacks, Disney, etc. Your child won't get a second look. And if people make comments, who cares? You will never see those people again! You need to do what makes you feel safe.

My DD was a leash kid when she was younger. She was a runner and hated being in the stroller after she was 2 or so. I don't recall any of the cute leashes available now being around then - her harness looked like a harness. The lead did unclip from the harness pretty easily.

I'm not a fan...like a previous poster said, you will use it like a dog leash. If your kid listened to you, you wouldn't need one. My kids are very disturbed by them--sil uses one for their cousin. But more than likely, you won't see my kids again and you must do what you think is best for you and your child. If it makes for a better vacation for you, by all means, do it.

I'm not a fan...like a previous poster said, you will use it like a dog leash. If your kid listened to you, you wouldn't need one. My kids are very disturbed by them--sil uses one for their cousin. But more than likely, you won't see my kids again and you must do what you think is best for you and your child. If it makes for a better vacation for you, by all means, do it.

The sentenced that I bolded in your post is extremely insulting and judgemental. I have never had to use a harness/leash for my kids, but I certainly understand the need for one - especially for special needs kids.

I always find people's opinions on these interesting...
e just came back from living in Europe for three years and they are VERY VERY common. :confused3 That being said, they don't have three and four year olds in strollers like you see in the US. You see children walking independently by about two years old. (interesting note: no strollers, but you see pacifiers in the mouths of 4 and 5 year olds all the time there!!:confused: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter