kids waiting in lines...

HarMinnie

Earning My Ears
how do you keep your kids occupied/entertained, etc while waiting in lines at the parks?

I've seen posts about bringing small books, crayons, snacks in baggies, and all kinds of ideas, but really, people watching, planning your next move, discussing lunch options, etc usually kept our kids occupied. As a back-up, we pulled out park maps and schedules to look at. Have a great vacation in just a few days!!!

Honestly I was really worried about that last fall but it turned out to be fine. Rarely did the really get bored. We used fastpasses as much as we could but at some places you will be in line for awhile, but you are moving along, there are so many people to see and honestly some of the que's are fun (like Toy Story Mania) so you have to tell them look around, look for hidden mickeys etc. My kids were 5, 3 and 17 months when we went. This time they will be 6,4 and 2. I am only a little concerned about the 2 year old. This time she can have an opinion!

Kids are supposed to wait in line? We just send my husband ahead and he texts me when we he gets close to the front. We go thru the line, cutting off people and stepping on toes, as I blame it on my 4yr olds tiny bladder. :lmao: for those of you who will flip out i am just joking.

We didn't have too many lines last trip and I am thinking only needed a 'game' once, we played I spy. We usually end up looking at the theming of the que or chatting about what we liked/didn't like so far during the day and what the ride we were waiting for was gonna be about. We also reviewed any autographs we had gotten so far. Most of the lines are constantly moving so activities that require paper, pens, etc probably won't work out well.

Pirategirl-

I saw your ticker about the Pineapple whip and had to giggle. I can't wait!! Yummmmmm

how do you keep your kids occupied/entertained, etc while waiting in lines at the parks?

When my DD was younger I got her one of those cheap handhelders or what ever they are called, like gameboy but cheap, $10 or something. I did not want her to loose the real one in parks, and the cheap version was pretty good, at least in keeping her busy during flight and long lines. The longest line ever was MIB in Universal, 2 1/2 hours, only a Tomy Lee fan like me could do it, really. But they had a DJ in that line and it was kind of fun.

My DD is only 4, and we don't want to be lugging around a bunch of stuff for her. We're lucky that she's pretty good with being patient, but as we all know, kids in WDW tend to get a little nutty. ;) I'm stashing a mini bottle of bubbles in my bag, and my DH has music and episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on his phone. If the bubbles don't work, THAT definitely will!

thanks everyone. I was packing my small park bag today and just decided they were going to have to be entertained by what was around them/their own imaginations, since the bag is FULL!

I will be among those getting a Dole Whip in just a few days. We had these on our trip to Hawaii last summer (at the Dole Plantation shop on Oahu). Can't wait!

I had to laugh at the line-breaking scenario. My guys were 4.5 and 6 months last time so they weren't "together" for fighting while standing in line, etc. Hope they won't bug the people around us too much!

thanks everyone. I was packing my small park bag today and just decided they were going to have to be entertained by what was around them/their own imaginations, since the bag is FULL!

I will be among those getting a Dole Whip in just a few days. We had these on our trip to Hawaii last summer (at the Dole Plantation shop on Oahu). Can't wait!

I had to laugh at the line-breaking scenario. My guys were 4.5 and 6 months last time so they weren't "together" for fighting while standing in line, etc. Hope they won't bug the people around us too much!

Can somebody please explain me what is a Dole Whip. Everyone keeps talking about it and I have no idea what it is.:confused3

Can somebody please explain me what is a Dole Whip. Everyone keeps talking about it and I have no idea what it is.:confused3

A Dole whip is a treat sold at a snack bar called Aloha Isle in Adventureland. It is pineapple flavored soft-serve ice cream. Some people get them in the form of a "float" -- pineapple juice with the soft-serve. I think you can make other combos as well!

We play a game we made up. I'll say "orange shirt", and we point out (discreetly) anyone with an orange shirt. Then DD will say "purple pants", etc, etc. It's amazing that no matter what color or article of clothing you pick, someone has it on!!! Fun!

A Dole whip is a treat sold at a snack bar called Aloha Isle in Adventureland. It is pineapple flavored soft-serve ice cream. Some people get them in the form of a "float" -- pineapple juice with the soft-serve. I think you can make other combos as well!

Thanks, I will try it next time.

My DD is only 4, and we don't want to be lugging around a bunch of stuff for her. We're lucky that she's pretty good with being patient, but as we all know, kids in WDW tend to get a little nutty. ;) I'm stashing a mini bottle of bubbles in my bag, and my DH has music and episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on his phone. If the bubbles don't work, THAT definitely will!

Please refrain from blowing bubbles in confined places, like queues. Bubbles can stain fine clothing, make a slippery mess on the floor, and sting when they pop in your eyes. My daughter is allergic to some bubble solutions, as are others with sensitive skin. Also, small children can run after a stray bubble and get out of the queue before a parent can follow. Kids can go under the queue ropes a lot faster than adults can get over them.

We talk. It has worked since she was 2.5 on her first trip.

We weren't entertained for every minute of every day. One of the reasons we'll never have a DVD player in our car.

We did not lug anything. We took our cards in our pockets and traveled with nothing if possible. My daughter is 4. The excitement for the rides was mostly enough, but nearly every ride we went on had something that she could look at. A lot of the rides have things to check out while you wait. She also occupied herself talking to the other kids in line. Mine is a chatterbox, so I would ask her to tell me a story about Peter Pan or Tinkerbell if we were going on the Peter Pan ride.
Fastpasses, can alleviate a lot of the wait, so I recommend getting them as often as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter