Kids traveling without passports

missmdr

Mouseketeer
We have a cruise at the end of Feb and one of my three kids do not have a passport (he's only 1). I specifically asked our TA about whether we needed on and was give this guidance:

Although highly recommended by Disney Cruise Line, at this time passports are not required for US Citizens on a closed loop sailing (Departs and returns to the same port). You will need an official birth certificate (with raised seal).

After reading this, I felt comfortable having my toddler only have his birth certificate.....but then I started thinking about "what if." What if I had to (for whatever reason) fly from Bahamas back to US in an emergency? Wouldnt' that prevent him from leaving the country?

What would *you* do?

Help me decide what to do....we're short on time....if I apply today it will be exactly at the 6 wk mark (current processing times are 4-6 wks).

Thanks to anyone who has input.

You must have a passport if you need to fly back to the US from the Bahamas. In today's world I wouldn't travel outside the country without a passport in hand. Others might disagree with me but that's how I personally feel. In fact, I don't even travel domestically without my passport any more. I don't want any question as to wheather or not I am a US Citizen.

You must have a passport if you need to fly back to the US from the Bahamas. In today's world I wouldn't travel outside the country without a passport in hand. Others might disagree with me but that's how I personally feel. In fact, I don't even travel domestically without my passport any more. I don't want any question as to wheather or not I am a US Citizen.

That was my way of thinking as well. Our first cruise was a 4 day. DH and I already had them but the kids did not. This is a 7 day so I wanted to make sure they had them. DH is also military so we are subject to going out of the country on short notice. That helped influence my decision as well. I did them separately so it would not be so much money at once and got them in about 3 weeks. After the fact I am 100% satisfied with my decision and do not have any regrets. It really was a huge amount of relief for me. I am sure nothing will happen just knowing I am covered in case it does makes me feel better.

Yes, you must have a passport to fly back into the US, but there are emergency re-patriation regulations. I actually got curious enough to read them at one point. Essentially, you visit the US embassy/cousulate and are issued a temporary passport which allows you to get back into the US. You pay the standard passport fees for this document, which you are then required to exchange for a real passport following your return to the US.

We have passports because we do other travel, but DD sailed for many years on a birth certificate before I went the next step. It's really a personal decision. You can't go wrong with the passport, but if the only time the child will use it is a single cruise, you do need to consider the finances as well.

You will NOT be stuck unable to re-enter the US if you choose to not buy a passport. However, in an emergency, you will add to the hoops that you'll need to jump thru at an already tense time of life.

You can order the passport and ask for a "rush" it costs more but will be worth it.

I agree completely. I wouldn't travel outside the US without a passport.

We are cruising in 30 days--me, dh dd6 and ds3---all with birth certificates only. :)

When we got our passports last summer, they were saying 4-6 weeks for them to be returned. They all got to our house in about the time than it would have taken to expedite them.

Why dont you stop by your local DMV office and see if they are offering the enhanced licences yet. We got my eight yr old (enhanced state id), myself and grammy one and used that to get back into the US. No hassels. :cool1:

I agree with the previous posts. I feel more comfortable having a passport even though we do not have to have one. I am making my parents, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law get one before we go on our trip in August.

I had DD's passport pictures taken on the way home from the hospital at birth. We had 6 months until our planned trip, but I did not want to deal with any delays or issues. Both of my kids have had passports since they were born. We live a few hours from Canada so they have had a lot of use!

Well thanks to everyone, I went right to the post office and applied for a passport. It was fairly quick, and only cost $85 :scared1:

Anyway, now I dont' have to spend time worrying about that!

I feel better already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter