Kid's Souvenirs - What did your kids want?

CNB1124

Mouseketeer
We are going on the Eastern this fall, and I would like for my daughters to save their own money for souvenirs. What types of things did your kids want to buy and how much spending money did they take?

Cindy

CNB1124 said:
We are going on the Eastern this fall, and I would like for my daughters to save their own money for souvenirs. What types of things did your kids want to buy and how much spending money did they take?

Cindy

My 5 year old left with $25 for both the cruise and Sea World. This was from money he had earned helping around the house (we've been pushing that for a long time), birthday money from relatives and a couple of bucks his grandparents slipped in his piggy bank while we weren't looking.

We aren't big souvenier people and try to push him towards things he'll play with or have some use for.

At Sea World we talked him down from the $30 stuffed Shamu to the $10 one. He slept with it on the cruise and has carted it around the house since we got back.

At Nassau we found a local selling shells and shell art from a table on the street. We tried to talk him out of it completly but his argument of "but it will help me remember the beach" was hard to say no and ended up with a small bottle filled with sand and shells. This kept him from bringing every shell on Castaway Cay home. $5 well spent.

On board the ship he chose a matchbox car sized set with a DCL ship and a DCL bus. We had a ball watching for them on the road between Orlando and Canveral so that was an appropriate and innexpensive souvenier. We had to steer him away from all the pirate regalia (swords, guns, hats, etc). We aren't anti gun nuts but are trying to stave off guns as toys for as long as possible. He also desperately wanted a $40 stuffed DCL boat filled with beanie baby-esque characters, put my foot down on that one.

The only souvenier I dug into my walet for was a beach towel he fell in love with at Castaway Cay. A little pricey but at least it's useful. I'm sure it will bring up lots of converstation at the pool this summer.

He came home with $2. I'd call that successfull.

Souvies on DCL (bought with Disney Dollars received as gifts):

DD8

DCL nightgown
DCL tee shirt
DCL pin

(gift from Mom) Mickey Mouse sterling silver bracelet and necklace

DS8
DCL tee shirt
DCL pin

My kids also enjoy drinking out of the souvenier DCL drink glasses we brought home - we have the tall plastic ones and some other plastic ones shaped as pineapples. You can buy these around the ship and CC with drinks in them. :sunny:

Pins! And a small, stuffed Captain Mickey with magnetic hands.

Great tip for pins: we saw lots of DCL pins that we loved at the ship store, and were able to trade for many of them with the DCL castmembers! :thumbsup2

I also purchased a DCL beach towel. :teeth:

PoohJen said:
I also purchased a DCL beach towel. :teeth:

How much are the DCL beach towels? I'd like to get a few but I'm scared they're going to be way overpriced.

Unfortunately, DS 10 wanted EVERYTHING! Think he spent his $60 budget twice :rotfl2:

DS 13 didn't want anything but a hat at Castaway Cay. Could they be anymore opposite :confused3

I didn't by myself a thing as the cruise itself was my souvenir. REALLY wanted a topaz ring in the gift shop but forgot to go back and get it. Saved me $48 but now I don't have anything special.

Oh yah, both sons picked up a not-so-desirable souvenier: the dreaded Norovirus!! No matter how much hand washing....... :sad2:

I would love a little ring as a special memento too. Where did you shop and were the prices reasonable?

The ones that I missed out on were on board the Magic in the gift shop. They only brought out the topaz display on 2 specific days. The first day they were out, I just assumed they were a permanent display. Came back a day later and they were gone. Asked the cast member where the topaz jewelry went and she said they would not be out again until Captain's Gala night, which was Thursday. Then I totally forgot to go back!! Gorgeous topaz ring (large stone) for $48!!! And it fit me perfect :sad1: Oh well.

I allowed my ds15 and dd13 $100 ea for the 2 week repo cruise last August. They used this money for souvenirs and smoothies. The deal was that any money they didn't use went to them in cash, anything over needed to be paid back to me. My daughter kept track to the penny and went $1.50 over. I won't tell you how much my son went over (I think he was buying smoothies for a girl he liked), but he did pay me back.

This system worked well for us...

DD4 wanted everything and she actually had an excuse to ask since she celebrated her birthday onboard. princess: We only went in the stores twice, at CC where she got the autograph book - great gift that kept her busy - for about $8 and then onboard she got a toy boat replicating DCL. That was pretty nice and less than $10 if I recall correctly. For her birthday she received presents from the gift shop onboard, a nice Capt. Minnie that grandma bought for $22 and coloring book with stickers $15 or so.

Total spent $55
The smile on her face PRICELESS

My ds5 usually doesn't want anything. It's my dh I have to contain. His downfall is polo shirts. Although we did buy the towel at cc and I'm embarassed to tell you how much it was.

rtphokie, you might want to check ebay for that boat. I know it's probably on there if you're patient. My dh wanted it (yes and he was 33 at the time) and I said no.

tynkerbell said:
How much are the DCL beach towels? I'd like to get a few but I'm scared they're going to be way overpriced.

I think I paid $16-20; pretty good quality. This was in Nov 04. :sunny:

June '05 Wonder

DD was 11. She didn't even SEE the gift shop till the last day at sea. (That does help!) She got a stuffed Chip and Dale, a beach towel on CC ($20), a t-shirt, and a magnet and a holographic glass from CC, a couple of pens, a photo frame and pen from Atlantis. The Disney Sea-U tee shirt and grad cap were "free". Yeah right!

"I" on the other hand, got the stuffed DCL Capt. Mickey and Minnie ($13 each), a couple of pins, a magnet of the ship at night, a water-safe box, a shirt from CC, a beach towel from CC, a memo cube, and I can't remember what else.
DU sent us a nice DCL bag with two water bottles.
DH bought me a "Mickey groom/Minnie bride" plate and stand for our anniversary. Our 25th was in March, but the cruise was to celebrate it.
And yes, I cried when he gave it to me!

Melanie

We just got off 2 weeks ago and my son who is 4 1/2 got the Disney semi truck and the matchbox set of the DCL bus and ship. He LOVES them both but I was like another poster on here and I wasn't going to buy anything that he wouldn't normally play with.

My only tip to anyone tempted to buy the pirate stuff-go to the Dollar Tree first before you go. We got the sword for a buck and then a combo pack that had the eye patch, coins and little things like that. So when we got to the DCL shops, DS goes "oh, I already have that" and moved right past! I did the biggest happy dance you can imagine! We also bought a Mickey coloring book from the Dollare Tree and brought it with us so he didn't even look at that area either.

When we went to the Magic Kingdom the day we got off the ship my husband was worried about what he would choose and he small monorail for $6. Totally surprised us that he didn't ask for those huge sets.

Have fun-Ginny ;)

We were on the Wonder a year ago and DS (6 at the time) had $100.00 to spend. He bought a Buzz Lightyear toy as his main souvenier, which went everywhere with him. He later bought a Pirate Bandana with the Mickey ears that stick up on the top for Pirate night and then a DCL t-shirt. He spent the balance at WDW after the cruise on a water bottle mister with the built in fan. I have to admit that we all liked that item. It kept everybody cool. Since we are going on another DCL cruise in 3 weeks, the mickey pirate bandana, the DCL t-shirt, and the water mister are going back with us. :cool1:

castlegazer said:
Towels are now between $20 - $40 each.
yikes! i bought a towel for my dad at universal studios (totally off subject) for 25 dollars. most expensive towel i have ever bought. im scared to forget my towel!!!

Hi,
My three girls save their suvioneer money all year. They put away money from birthdays, Christmas and other holidays ( Grandma often sends $10 for Halloween and such which really helps). They are now 5,7, and 11 and we have been doing this since the youngest was 2. Having their own money makes the trip so much better. I do not hear will you get me this; will you get me that. Instead I get "well if I buy this then I will have $x dollars left. What if I find something I want more. Should I buy it now or wait" It's a great learning experience and it cuts down on my having to say no constantly. They understand that when the money is gone its gone. They always save well over $100 to bring so they have plently to work with. They have bought jewerly, clothes, art kits and of course alot of pins. I try not to interfere with what they want except at this point I do say no more stuffed animals! On our last cruise it was the Eastern itinerary and on shore they bought the t-shirts that change colors ( the salesman took off $5 each when he found out they were spending their own money - very nice of him) sarongs, and beach bags.
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter