• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids sliding down the side of the Wonder

Michigander

Earning My Ears
I had a horrifying experience on my recent cruise on the Wonder. It was the same voyage where the port hole blew out on deck 2.

I was on deck 6, room 6654 (way at the back of the ship). I was talking to a friend who was visiting when she said that someone was at my door. I looked and she was pointing at the verandah door ... not the door to the hall. There was a teenage boy standing outside on the verandah asking to be let in. I asked what he was doing there and he said he was pushed over from above. I was in such a state of shock that I didn't think to detain him. I let him in and he ran out of the door to the hallway. My friend said she heard laughter in the hall from more than one teenager.

We called guest services and reported this but they didn't seem too concerned. About 1/2 hour later, I called security. They sent a man from security down to talk to us. He said that he was told that people had seen boys sliding down the outside of the ship but they weren't able to locate them. With the description we gave him, he left and called shortly after stating that he had found the boy on deck 9 and the boy stuck to the story of being pushed. He took him to the boys parents and said the parents were very upset. I couldn't tell whether all of this was just a story to appease us so we wouldn't continue to call about it or whether he was really able to catch the boy that easily with all these people on board. Seemed fishy to me.

Anyway, I was so shocked to think that kids would be sliding down the outside of the steep sides of the ship. If it were my kid, he would be grounded for a year! If you stand on a verandah and look up, it's unbelieveable to think someone would even consider doing this.

Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it before? I was in a state of shock right after it happened. I wished that I had left him out there and called security to come and let him in but I wasn't thinking clearly when it happened. It was freaky and frightening.

I was on that cruise as well. Didn't see any teens sliding down the boat. That must have been scarey to have one on your verandah! There did seem to be one group of teenagers that were pretty much just hanging out and up to no good. They were riding the elevators when we first saw them -- pushing every button on there, sitting on the floor so nobody could fit in, and making lovely bodily noises. Also one of the boys was "making out" with a young girl. Not exactly something I would want my young daughter doing on a cruise ship. They were very rude to people attempting to come on the elevator. We saw them several times on the cruise.

Oh Michigander and momof3luvs2run !

This is awful! This sort of behaviour spoils it for everyone and is worse when children are about.

I hope that if anyone sees this sort of thing they will call security immediately! They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

I am cruising on th 12/9 Wonder and if I see anyone acting inappropriately I will call secruity straight away.

I sure hope it didn't spoil your cruise.

Out of interest which cruise was it when the porthole blew out and do you know which cabin?

We are on deck 2 when we sail.

Ooh er!!

Rosemary

I can't believe that they would do that. I have never seen it happen and if it was my kid....

Originally posted by rosemary123
Out of interest which cruise was it when the porthole blew out and do you know which cabin?

Rosemary

It was on deck 2, it was just down the hall from us, we were in 2079&2081, sorry I do't have the room #, but it is all fixed up now. Have a great vacation.

I don't know the room number either but it was midship across from the Peter Pan conference room. As stated above, it's already been fixed and I believe there is no need to worry. Other than the bad seas, the rest of the cruise was beautiful.

I hope the parents of this child will take care to make sure he is uncomfortable for a while and knows what COULD have happened with his antics. I know that I would have grounded him for a very long time and he would NOT be doing anything like that again. It's sad to hear that there was a group of them acting up in the elevators. What a way to ruin things for others. It very well could have been the same group that this boy belonged with. Where were the parents???? The danger involved in this kind of behavior is frightening.

OK--so what does it mean "the porthole blew out"??? Just picturing a terrible experience of being sucked out to sea. Can someone please clarify?? :(

I can't believe this!!! I almost called my DS 15 to warn him against auch stunts!! Those poor parents! I know that I can't possibly watch my kids every minute. But I think I can trust them enough to not put their (or anyone else's) lives in danger!
I hope!

Ursula

Originally posted by debm
OK--so what does it mean "the porthole blew out"??? Just picturing a terrible experience of being sucked out to sea. Can someone please clarify?? :(

I don't know what happened but I can assure you there is no possibility of being sucked out to sea. That would require an enormous difference in air pressure, which is not possible on a cruise ship. (You'd have to be in an airliner or space shuttle!) There must have been a different reason for the window coming out of the porthole. It's very possible that "blew out" is an exaggeration.

Originally posted by debm

Just to elaborate on what erikthewise just said:
It didnet blow out so much as it blew in, it sounds like something might have been in the wave and was just quite a strong hit. The only reason the compartment got flooded was because of the waves. There is no way you can get sucked out of a porthole. A hole in the ship would only let water in, since the water presses on the ship to make it float :)

In any case, That teen was quite lucky! Think what would happen if you wernt there? Heck, you could look at it as a security issue since he could have had access to your room!

And of course, their parents think that their children are just such well-behaved little gentlemen!

Rae

Originally posted by Rombus

In any case, That teen was quite lucky! Think what would happen if you wernt there? Heck, you could look at it as a security issue since he could have had access to your room!
I guess you really do need to lock your verandah door!

The gene pool can take care of itself. I just hope nobody wins a Darwin Award.

Read a book from a florida writer called "Skinny Dip" about a husband that threw his wife overboard. The article reminded me of the book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter