Kids - Sea sick?

Maesa

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone - I know I get sea sick and I will be taking Dramamine on the hour! My husband does not. Do kids typically get sea sick? My daughter's are 10 and 7.

And if so or not - either way, what should I bring for them? I saw a wrist band, does that work?

Thank you for your advice and answers :)

April

We have 4 children-- 12, 10, 9 and 6. Only the 12 and 6 yo get motion sickness (including being sea sick). We've used the kids version of Dramamine successfully with them. You have to be somewhat diligent about taking the medication otherwise it's just not as effective.

I tried the bands for myself and they started to irritate my wrists after a few days.

The preggo pops and ginger gum didn't seem to last long, but especially the gum did make a difference to take the edge off for the short term (again, not long lasting, and I didn't really like the taste). If I only brought one it would be the gum because I felt it worked better. I think the effects of those vary by person.

I also tried ginger tabs, but I'm not sure if they made a difference or not (not sure if I would have been worse without them).

I'd personally go for the Dramamine if that's an option. It does need to be taken before symptoms though, so you can't just wait until you know you need it to take it.

My DS10 has a tendency to get car sick if he is reading or playing his DS. Now granted we were on the Dream, so a huge ship, 4 day cruise so moving slow, and the seas were calm, but my kids couldn't even tell the ship was moving 99% of the time unless we looked outside.

My kids (4 and 7) get a little sea sick on smaller boats (like ferries, whale watching boats). The sea bands seem to help and also not having an empty stomach. Cruise ship though - nothing. Even on the day the seas were a little rough and I started feeling a little queasy, they were absolutely fine. I told them to wear their sea bands but they said we don't need it!

Everyone is different though, so you won't know until you get on the ship.

My kids (8&6) did great but everyone is different. Buy the medicine and bring it just incase - better to have it and not need it! I was not able to find children's Dramamine on the Fantasy in March.

I have two children: one who gets car sick, sea sick, sick on rides at the amusement park, and one that never gets sick on anything. Neither had any trouble on the cruise ship.

On our first cruise, my DD13 was 11. She got a slightly upset stomach the first night (very rough), but the next day and from then on she was fine. Our cruise this summer, she was very sick the first night. We were at the earlier dinner seating, and I remember most of the servers were having problems walking. When we headed back to our room, one of the stateroom hosts asked us if we'd had too much to drink at dinner - we couldn't walk straight. It was bad. She ended up getting sick about an hour later. I felt terrible - she was looking forward to going to the club to meet some other kids. The next morning, she was totally fine.

DD used to get very car sick, thankfully she seems to have outgrown it. She has always been fine on the ship even in rough seas!
I also suffer from motion sickness. I often feel queasy on long car trips and I never go on the teacups at DL! I take ginger tablets every 4 hours on the first day of a cruise and it works great. I then take it as needed - depending on the seas. I found that after doing 11 cruises, I hardly notice that we are on a ship anymore.

My 8 year old got sea sick on our last cruise. I used motioneaze oil that it put on behind the ear and it really helped her.

It depends entirely on the individual. Better safe than sorry, especially the first night or two.

I get motion sickness, and I usually take Bonine. My son has done 2 cruises and I pack Dramamine for kids, but he's never needed it. I'd rather have it and not need it though!

I would say be sure that they eat a good dinner every night. We've been on lots of cruises and none of my kids ever got sea sick until our most recent cruise. My 2yo woke up vomiting and I was terrified it was noro... The doctor was so helpful and calm. He asked if my little guy had eaten dinner--nope. He had been too busy running around to eat. I got some milk in him, we docked at port, he took a nap, and 2 hours later he was jumping on the bed. Whew! What a relief! And I made a point to make sure EVERYONE ate dinner every night after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter