Kids Programing

melisandes

Mouseketeer
Is anyone else feel like the kids channels are getting junkier by the day? The programs are just not the same quality anymore. I was not a big fan of some of the shows when my eldest was little but now they are just plain awful.

I saw Oswald the other day and wondered what was it that I disliked about that show years ago. Compared to Dora its great.

There are some shows I like, and a lot that I can't stand. My least favourite (and DD is not allowed to watch them, but she doesn't know that yet) are Dora, Noddy, and this weird one with little computer animated alien things... don't know what it's called. Anyway, when I was a kid there was Sesame Street and Mr. Dressup (Canadian) and they were much higher quality than most of the stuff I see now. Although I do like Franklin and Little Bear and a few others.

I LOVE Oswald. We don't get it here anymore but it is one of my faves. I also love Blues Clues but only with Steve lol. I haven't watched kids shows in years but still try to find Oswald.

I think part of the problem is that there are restrictions (both legal and as a reflection of societal expectation), now, on the commercial exploitation of children that there simply isn't the kind of money to be made, making high quality programming for children, that would motivate folks to produce such programming. At the same time, despite flowery lip-service to the contrary, our nation isn't willing to put its own money forward in sufficient amounts to fully bridge that profitability gap for producers. Effectively, our society has out-thunk itself, protecting children so much that we've practically harmed them as a result.

What is wrong with Dora other than the make believe and lack of supervision? I'm just curious since my kids never got into cartoons but I always heard it was educational. I remember at a preschool meeting my dd's teacher was telling me she was surprised she didn't know the basic Sesame ST characters but that was because she had no interest in the show.

The criticisms of Dora The Explorer are as follows. Don't shoot the messenger: I disagree with (or otherwise find merit-less as criticism) all of them. I'm just reporting what the critics cry about.

- Dora is not specifically of a specific Latino derivation, and so deftly avoids offending "European" (read: White) sensibilities. As such, she seems purpose-designed to serve commercial interests, not educational interests.

- Along the same lines, though in a different direction (offending a completely different group of people), some critics find a subtle but pervasive and perhaps overwhelming message projected by Dora of global community, something which naturally offends ultra-nationalist perspectives.

- Dora was redesigned to be thinner and aged as more of an older sister to her intended audience than a peer. Trying to pin-down the context of these criticisms was tough, but I think some of it may have been just plain enmity towards change, itself, i.e., the desire for everything in life to always remain static.

- There was also some speculation that some of the criticism about the Dora redesign was a reflection of insecurities within the critics themselves, with regard to their own physical condition, and/or their concern about their own ability to view Dora without sexualizing her, but I didn't really see any strong evidence of that.

Have I missed any of the major criticisms?

Hmm, guess I am a bad Mommy LOL. My little guy like Dora as a youngster and picked up lots of new words from her that he still uses today . Oswald is another one we loved.

There are tons of things not to let your kids watch and in my opinion Dora is least of my worries.

Oswald can be seen in the mornings on Nick JR which here in Florida can only be seen if you have the higher level interactive cable.

The criticisms of Dora The Explorer are as follows. Don't shoot the messenger: I disagree with (or otherwise find merit-less as criticism) all of them. I'm just reporting what the critics cry about.

- Dora is not specifically of a specific Latino derivation, and so deftly avoids offending "European" (read: White) sensibilities. As such, she seems purpose-designed to serve commercial interests, not educational interests.

- Along the same lines, though in a different direction (offending a completely different group of people), some critics find a subtle but pervasive and perhaps overwhelming message projected by Dora of global community, something which naturally offends ultra-nationalist perspectives.

- Dora was redesigned to be thinner and aged as more of an older sister to her intended audience than a peer. Trying to pin-down the context of these criticisms was tough, but I think some of it may have been just plain enmity towards change, itself, i.e., the desire for everything in life to always remain static.

- There was also some speculation that some of the criticism about the Dora redesign was a reflection of insecurities within the critics themselves, with regard to their own physical condition, and/or their concern about their own ability to view Dora without sexualizing her, but I didn't really see any strong evidence of that.

I just think the Map Song is really annoying. :confused3

My youngest is 7, so he doesn't watch the Dora type shows, but he's mostly into PBS. He loves Martha Speaks and Fetch, with Ruff Ruffman. Oh, and Arthur.

The only other cartoon show he watches is Phineas and Ferb and I really like that one. Cool music.

I just think the Map Song is really annoying. :confused3

The music on Dora in general is annoying. For someone with Sensory Disorder it is actually painful. The map song just makes me cranky.

My kids love it though so I try to let them watch it and go into the bedroom to surf the web. Hubby hates it when I do that. I am like well It is the best compromise I can come up with. I leave the door open. I still hear the music. I am just distracted from the utter painfulness of it all.

I don't want to let my feelings interfere with with my children enjoy - I even let them watch Barney. But we have mutually agreed not to watch certain shows that don't have any value. Only enough time n the day to watch the really good stuff.

If you think what is around today isn't good, try watching the old stuff on Boomerang. The stuff I watched growing up that I have fond memories of had no educational value at all other than to teach how to chase and punch and shoot! LOL!!

Until I was almost 10 I remember only being allowed to watch Mr Rogers and Sesame Street. Then I remember watching Alice on reruns and a few other shows. My mom was a control freak.

I know there was a lot of crazy stuff out there. It is not that. It is the quality of the programing itself. There is not a whole lot to tell one episode from the next. The music and the format are identical in each episode.

Until I was almost 10 I remember only being allowed to watch Mr Rogers and Sesame Street. Then I remember watching Alice on reruns and a few other shows. My mom was a control freak.

I know there was a lot of crazy stuff out there. It is not that. It is the quality of the programing itself. There is not a whole lot to tell one episode from the next. The music and the format are identical in each episode.

Holy cow! No wonder.

The stuff these days is so much better, and most are geared toward teaching something. Maybe you just aren't getting the variety - we watched Noggin, Playhouse Disney, and Sprout.

I think young children's programming on PBS, Disney and Nick Jr (and Noggin) are pretty good, I LOATHE the commercial crap on Disney and Nick especially (don't have Noggin) so we don't watch. But they aren't offensive to me. Now the crap they make for preteens and inbetweeners, UGG. Sweet Life, Hannah Montana, iCarly,etc. HATE that stuff, it's not allowed in my house. We do watch Phineas and Ferb together, because I think that show is funny. Otherwise my older kids watch Electric Company, Authur and mostly Nat Geo shows.

I totally agree. Some things aren't too bad-- we like to enjoy Little Bear, Franklin, and even Yo Gabba Gabba. Other than that, DD is a PBS kid. Can't beat SuperWHY!

She's BOSSY! :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter