Kids on their own in the parks? What age?

Interesting topic......

Back in the day (the 80's) my parents let my sister and I roam the mk while they went to Discovery Island. We ranged in age from 13 to 17 at the times and of course, there weren't cell phones then. We were fine and all went well. Except for some annoying boys who followed us from ride to ride for awhile. We eventually ditched them, but never felt unsafe.

We let our DD12 and DS8 go on rides while we waited nearby. DD had a cell and things went well. That trip we would let them go off and we would stay in the same land. We did the same thing the next year when they were 13 and 9. DS does not have a cell, but we went over with him what to do if he were separated from us or his sister and we felt comfortable he would be ok.

Last trip DD14(almost 15) was feeling tired and wanted to head back to the room. DH and I were going to let her go back to FQ and relax for a bit. My mother went nuts and insisted on accompanying her back to the resort. I am sure she would have been fine, but wasn't going to argue with my mother. I am pretty sure mom and dad were ready to go back to rest anyway.

Last day of the trip we were at EPCOT. DH and I wanted to ride TT one more time and the kids really wanted to go to the MK. We debated and finally decided they would be responsible enough. We walked with the kids back to the monorail line and watched them get on the MK line. We went and did our thing and headed for the MK. We met up with them and finished our day together.

It has gone well for us, but again I would say everyone knows their own kids and how they will handle themselves.

Personally, I would not let my 15 year old take my younger daughter. He is not mature enough, and to self absorbed. IMO a 9 year old is just to young..maybe I am over protective.

Two quick things.....

the 15 yr. old - definitely old enough, the 9 yr. old, NEVER, and the two of them together that would have to be your call, but if you think they get along well enough and he can handle her, wouldn't leave her, etc. I think it would be fine.

Socond part....Last year I was 26 and went on my honeymmon to Disney and my husband by the way was 29 and when my grandmother found out we were going she wanted to know if my mom or dad was going with us because we're too young to travel on our own....it's not safe! LOL This is also the same woman who told me to not talk to a single stranger the entire time I was gone and insisted I take my pepper spray with me to the airport and on the plane. I told her I would so long as she'd come bail us out of jail when we got arrested for having a weapon the plane. lol

Two quick things.....

the 15 yr. old - definitely old enough, the 9 yr. old, NEVER, and the two of them together that would have to be your call, but if you think they get along well enough and he can handle her, wouldn't leave her, etc. I think it would be fine.

Socond part....Last year I was 26 and went on my honeymmon to Disney and my husband by the way was 29 and when my grandmother found out we were going she wanted to know if my mom or dad was going with us because we're too young to travel on our own....it's not safe! LOL This is also the same woman who told me to not talk to a single stranger the entire time I was gone and insisted I take my pepper spray with me to the airport and on the plane. I told her I would so long as she'd come bail us out of jail when we got arrested for having a weapon the plane. lol

Is your grandma my mom??? LOL! I'm in my 40's and she still checks up and worries way too much.

I guess the cheese is standing semi-alone on this one but no way in heck would I allow my 9 year old go alone with someone under 18 years old. It's not about the maturity or temperment of the children. It's more like the situations that could arise that would require some pretty adult thinking. What if they got separated. What if someone got hurt. Would the 15 year old ever say, "Okay, you go on this ride and I'll go on another and I'll meet you back here?" There's NO chance liberties would be taken while the cat (mom and dad) is away? I've been 15 and have known plenty of 15 year olds. They're not adults.

I admit, I'm a protective mom. I also have kids who are 5 and 7. Perhaps I would have a different opinion when my kids are 15 and 13. But for now, having a 12 year old niece who is a completely wonderful and responsible child, no way would I let her go into the parks alone. I'm responsible for my children until they are 18. Imagine the headlines about a nine year-old left to her own devices or at the mercy of others' in WDW? Would that be child neglect? Endangerment? I don't know.

I'm sure this post will strike a nerve with someone. But do take it with maybe two grains of salt. Again, my children aren't nearly old enough so this opinion isn't based on experience. I full admit that. Plus, you know your kids best. There are exceptions to every rule.

You aren't alone, my oldest is 18 and this is the first year he has mentioned going off on his own at the parks and this year will be our 6th trip in 6 yrs. If he had wanted to I may have let him go off on his own when he was 14 or 15 but I would not give him the responsiblity of taking one of my younger kids with him. I don't leave my young kids without adult supervision at home, no way would I do it 1100 miles away.

Two quick things.....

This made me giggle! When I was 28, I went to the Bahamas with another girlfriend who was also 28. Her sweet grandma was so worried about us and said she would really rather we not go alone. :lol:

I think you have to know your kids to know what is best, but I do agree with the legal opinion posted about 10 being the magic age - no matter what the parent thinks.

We went to a minor league baseball game the other night and I let my 12-year-old son walk around for a bit by himself (he has a cell). I have let him head to the bathroom by himself at pro baseball and football games too. He's also "hung out" downtown (small town, but in populated Northern NJ) with his school friends. He is fairly responsible and cautious, but not too street smart for his age.

All that being said, I probably would let him go on a ride by himself if I stayed in the area, but not wander off by himself.

Just wanted to point out that 7 is age that Disney says children have to be to be alone in the parks. I think this is a good age. Children today are way too overprotected. If you have raised your children to be independent they should have no problem riding some rides alone at the age of 7. I think that it is good for children to learn how to get along without their parents hovering over them. Only about 115 children in the entire US are kidnapped each year, of that number half are found in the first 24 hours, only about 40 % are killed. Yes, it would be horrible if my child was one of the 40-50 a year that happened to, but it would also be terrible if they died in a car accident, yet I still drive them places. I have no fear of my kids being stolen, they ride their bikes all over the neighborhood and walk to friends houses. At Six Flags where they are allowed to ride rides alone I believe it is good for them. They have to learn how to interact with the ride attendants and other people who they may be riding in the same car with. I don't want my kids afraid of the world and of people.

I have a 15 year old and a 9 year old(12 yo too!) and I would be fine with her taking her brother to the park for a couple of hours. I would just go over some ground rules first.

It would probably be okay, IMHO.

I would gauge the maturity of your 15yo and his ability to be "in charge" of his 9yo sister, their ability to navigate the park, and their ability to cooperate on their plans.

I'm trying really hard to remember when my mom let us roam. When I was 17 and sis' was 14 and bro was 12---we had free reign. Leaving our hotel and traveling to any of the three parks. This was pre cell phone.

My dd is only 10, so hasn't asked yet nor do I think she will. But she and her sister have ridden rides by themselves and she even went on a ride by herself when her sis' didn't want to go.

Her and little sis' are the best of friends and worst of enemies---so the day when I let them finally go on their own, I have to feel
confident that they are mature enough to get along while trying to have fun.

I have no particular opinion on when that is...I just know it probably will
be a few years.

Just wanted to point out that 7 is age that Disney says children have to be to be alone in the parks. I think this is a good age. Children today are way too overprotected.

I see that on WDW Planner that is the minimum age kids have to be to ride a ride alone. I imagine that Disney had in mind that the parent would be present at the ride to see their child on and off the ride. I see that distinctly different from the minimum age to allow them to explore the park on their own. :) Can you imagine the madness around the park with hordes of 7 year old running free!? heheehehehe!

Only about 115 children in the entire US are kidnapped each year.

While your statistic covers the "stereotypical" kidnapping it doesn't capture the big picture. Here is the complete break down:

The U.S. Department of Justice reports
* 797,500 children (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.
* 203,900 children were the victims of family abductions.
* 58,200 children were the victims of non-family abductions.
* 115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. (These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.)

[Andrea J. Sedlak, David Finkelhor, Heather Hammer, and Dana J. Schultz. U.S. Department of Justice. "National Estimates of Missing Children: An Overview" in National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children. Washington, DC: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice, October 2002, page 5.]

That still leaves over 58,000 kids kidnapped by non-family members. I would be curious to see the statistics about children who are abused by strangers but not kidnapped in the sense that they are transported from a scene.

We had a very infamous kidnapping occur in my home state. A young girl, 6 years old, was kidnapped from a local ball park and never found. 15 years later her mom is still looking for her. I don't want my child to be that child and I don't want to be that mom. So...until I think my small child can defend herself/handle herself in the face of such events, I will be protective.

We had a very infamous kidnapping occur in my home state. A young girl, 6 years old, was kidnapped from a local ball park and never found. 15 years later her mom is still looking for her. I don't want my child to be that child and I don't want to be that mom. So...until I think my small child can defend herself/handle herself in the face of such events, I will be protective.

I understand your point, but at what age do you think that will be?

Almost 20 years ago there was a 17 year old girl kidnapped from a local beach. Her mother is still looking for her. Should 17 year olds never be allowed to be out of their parents sight? What about 18 year olds? 19 year olds? 30 year olds?

To be perfectly honest, at 34 years old, I wouldn't be able to defend myself against most men.

No one wants their child to be that child, but we all have to let go sometime. That certainly doesn't mean that you stop worrying about them, that will never happen. But I do think it's unfair to kids to be over-protective of them until they're 18 and then send them off into the world without giving them the opportunity to learn how to handle being on their own.

We are going in 11 days with our 13 and 14 yo sons and their 14yo best friend. We are going to let them go off on their own, but DH and I will be in the same park. My boys are responsible, but they are boys, and as such do stupid things that could be dangerous!! I know, I raised their three brothers, now in their 20"s. I think we are going to drop them off at Quest for the afternoon, and go shopping without them. All three have cell phones, and I won't be far!

No one wants their child to be that child, but we all have to let go sometime. That certainly doesn't mean that you stop worrying about them, that will never happen. But I do think it's unfair to kids to be over-protective of them until they're 18 and then send them off into the world without giving them the opportunity to learn how to handle being on their own.

If you go back and read my first post in this thread you will find the answer to your question. :) Here is my answer so you don't have to search for it:

"I think you are getting really good advice about how to decide if you should let the 15 and 9 year olds hang out in the park alone.

If my 15 year old was 'adult' sized and responsible and has a history of really watching the 9 year old, then go for it! If you have any doubts whatsoever then don't do it."

I do believe in teaching my kids about responsibility in increments. I do not want to send off my children unprepared at 18. I just make sure my choices do not set my children up for failure by not looking at their skills and abilities.

Just wanted to point out that 7 is age that Disney says children have to be to be alone in the parks. I think this is a good age. Children today are way too overprotected. If you have raised your children to be independent they should have no problem riding some rides alone at the age of 7. I think that it is good for children to learn how to get along without their parents hovering over them. Only about 115 children in the entire US are kidnapped each year, of that number half are found in the first 24 hours, only about 40 % are killed. Yes, it would be horrible if my child was one of the 40-50 a year that happened to, but it would also be terrible if they died in a car accident, yet I still drive them places. I have no fear of my kids being stolen, they ride their bikes all over the neighborhood and walk to friends houses. At Six Flags where they are allowed to ride rides alone I believe it is good for them. They have to learn how to interact with the ride attendants and other people who they may be riding in the same car with. I don't want my kids afraid of the world and of people.

I would love to know where your stats come from, because I do not believe they are accurate. I know that more than 115 children are stolen a year.

That said, I do not believe in raising children in fear, and unable to function independently. However, the assumption that fear of kidnapping is not the only reason people choose not to let their young children wander the world untethered is a bit presumptuous. I know one of mine was too scattered at that age, one would have been nervous but survived, and one would have thrived. Not every child matures at the same rate.

For those with "older" kids, at what age would you (or have you) felt comfortable letting your kids take on the parks on their own?

My son will be 15 this trip, my daughter 9. They've each been to WDW many times and know it all like the back of their hand. They know how to act and I see no reason why I should hesitate to let the two of them explore a park while we do something else either at the same park (or maybe the hotel if we were talking Epcot while we're staying at Boardwalk or somewhere close).

Not to mention, they both know that if one did something wrong, the other would jump at the chance to get them in trouble for it!

15 is old enough thats how old my Best friend and I were when we went off on our own in disney. It all depends on if the 9year old will listen to the 15 year old if they fight a lot and dont get a long I wouldnt do it.

Almost 20 years ago there was a 17 year old girl kidnapped from a local beach. Her mother is still looking for her. Should 17 year olds never be allowed to be out of their parents sight? What about 18 year olds? 19 year olds? 30 year olds?

To be perfectly honest, at 34 years old, I wouldn't be able to defend myself against most men.

The PP abve who quoted the stats (nchulka) had a 6 and 8 yr old. I am sure we dont all magically know at what age we would let our kids roam free at WDW or another theme park, but I am pretty sure that for most of us, it would not be 6 and 8!!

[MomtoAlexnWilliam said:

I do believe in teaching my kids about responsibility in increments. I do not want to send off my children unprepared at 18. I just make sure my choices do not set my children up for failure by not looking at their skills and abilities.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup2

Just wanted to say that what my post said was that I let my 8 & 6 year olds ride some rides by themselves and wander nearby in the same area as I'm in. I don't drop them off at the Six Flags entrance and pick them back up at night. I will allow them to go ride some rides while I'm in line for something, or I'll ride 1 ride with 1 of them while the other rides something else in the same general area of the park. I will have no problems letting them go off by completely by themselves with friends for several hours when they are 11 or so, until then we are gradually working our way there :) I just see no need to hover over kids and act like they are not capable of handling situations. They will rise to your expectations.

My kids are still too young, so I'm only guessing what they'd be like but I *think* at age 15 I would allow my son to wander around the same park as dh and I and take his sister (who would be 11) with him. I would NOT allow him to take her out of the park, but I MAY allow him to leave the park himself. He would never allow anything to happen to his sister (this is evident now, despite the fact that they beat each other up on a daily basis :lmao: they are very protective of each other) but age 11 is too young to be off like that w/out a parent or older responsible adult (imo and only pertaining to my family, and not judging anyone who would allow this for their family... always need to disclaim things like this to avoid sounding judgey!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter