• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids not eating at Table Service restaurants

Best of luck to you!

One thing to consider, our last CA Grill dinner was nearly three hours. Previous dinners were well over two. Just wanted to share in case that timing adds complexity.

Also, the outside food into a TS restaurant is a health code issue, not a restaurant issue. While the OP may have luck with special menus or kids meals, I'm not sure the management will be able to allow outside food even if they want to.

Hope y'all have a wonderful vacation.

This attitude is why so many ASD parents are afraid to travel:

but as a fellow ASD selective eater parent I say why should I not get to enjoy myself and eat food I like because my child chooses not to eat. as long as he has his cooler of his foods he is fine anywhere we eat because we have taught him how to behave in a restaurant.

You should be able to go out and enjoy yourselves. And it is great that your child is fine and knows how to sit though a meal. However that does not sound like the case for the OP and their kids.

As far as meals such as the California Grill go, I think it is a lot to ask of anyone to sit there for a 2 hour meal and not eat.

Yes, there are many nights where my son and I will split a meal because honestly when it comes to the last couple of days...I'm constantly in a food coma!

OP, don't listen to poster's who "don't get it" because they have no idea how strong willed and picky some children can be. I would suggest feeding them before and maybe bringing some snacks that you can give them. Your getting free dining, so if you don't use some of the credits, no big deal. Enjoy your vacation.

but as a fellow ASD selective eater parent I say why should I not get to enjoy myself and eat food I like because my child chooses not to eat. as long as he has his cooler of his foods he is fine anywhere we eat because we have taught him how to behave in a restaurant. When he was younger his ability to sit quietly in a restaurant was more limited so we didn't do table service unless we were ok with taking turns to eat while we went outside to let DS run around. Now that he is older he can keep himself occupied with an iphone or Nintendo. He is learning that the world doesn't revolve around him, that he has to be somewhat social at meals, and that other people in the world like different foods.

He is not miserable. He does not need a babysitter. He needs acceptance for his dsifferences and understanding for his food issues. we won't bother you. We would never let him meltdown in public and ruin anyone else's experience. WE(the global WE of ASD parents) are not those kinds of parents. We are so worried about bothering others and others judging us we stress out, make business cards to distribute, and just want to have a good meal in a happy place.

Actually I do get it -- my son has SPD. I said nothing about how OP's kids might or might not inconvenience or disturb other diners; that was a pretty big leap on your part. My point is that if one knows one's kids will be unhappy and not eat, why bring them along? Either choose a place that the whole family will like or have a date night and leave the kids with a sitter. My feelings have nothing to do with ASD -- only the simple fact that I think it's unnecessary to drag a kid somewhere if he or she is "fussy" and "won't eat anything." You're on vacation; why stress each other out?

Why bring your kids somewhere you know they're going to be miserable? :confused3 Get a sitter or eat somewhere else.

Ha ha, she wouldn't stay with someone she didn't know.

They are not going to be miserable, they will be fine as long as they have eaten or can get something they can eat. We always bring along some food that they will eat just in case anyway. They will be quite happy people watching or playing on their I-devices! :thumbsup2

but as a fellow ASD selective eater parent I say why should I not get to enjoy myself and eat food I like because my child chooses not to eat. as long as he has his cooler of his foods he is fine anywhere we eat because we have taught him how to behave in a restaurant. When he was younger his ability to sit quietly in a restaurant was more limited so we didn't do table service unless we were ok with taking turns to eat while we went outside to let DS run around. Now that he is older he can keep himself occupied with an iphone or Nintendo. He is learning that the world doesn't revolve around him, that he has to be somewhat social at meals, and that other people in the world like different foods.

He is not miserable. He does not need a babysitter. He needs acceptance for his dsifferences and understanding for his food issues. we won't bother you. We would never let him meltdown in public and ruin anyone else's experience. WE(the global WE of ASD parents) are not those kinds of parents. We are so worried about bothering others and others judging us we stress out, make business cards to distribute, and just want to have a good meal in a happy place.

Exactly this. :)

Also, the outside food into a TS restaurant is a health code issue, not a restaurant issue. While the OP may have luck with special menus or kids meals, I'm not sure the management will be able to allow outside food even if they want to.

I've NEVER been told there was a health code issue with this, at any Disney restaurant or anywhere else.

They made an exception for you. That is not normally allowed.

I have also been allowed to do this numerous times with our oldest who is on the adult plan, never had an issue with it, they will ask if I want an adult sized portion of the kids meal sometimes we will do that but a lot of times we don't.

I really don't understand some of these posts!!

In no post did the OP say she was dragging her kids to restaurant where they will be totally unhappy all he way through!
The op said about them not eating and asked if this would be ok..... Which it is!

It's clear that those posters do not understand children with these needs, the child does not melt down because of not getting ones way,its because they can't comprehend what and why things are happening the way they are!

We go to eat at places my oldest may not like because we as parents have likes too!
We wouldn't just leave our son with a sitter as ER can't with a AS child, we also have 2 other children why should they miss out?

The Op is doing nothing wrong at all by making choices that suit the needs for them as parents since nearly everything else in life is dictated by our children.

They will not be allowed to sit with you without paying at:

Any buffet, family-style all you can eat restaurant, fixed price restaurant (Akershus or CRT) or dinner show.

Everyone gets charged at these meals, whether they eat or not. This includes all character meals. You have free DDP so if you want any of these meals it may be worth it to you to spend the credits for them even though they will eat nothing.

You will also not be allowed to bring outside food into these restaurants. There was a thread where someone asked if they could bring Sunshine Seasons food into Garden Grill and were told "no." You may be able to bring in some small snacks and grapes, that kind of thing, but not full meals from other restaurants.

With the a la carte restaurants, it's going to be entirely up to restaurant management as to whether you can bring in outside food. It will not be one resort-wide policy.

One of the sentences I type here most often is "this is not a parenting forum." We don't need to be making judgments on anybody's parenting decisions here - there are parenting boards for that. This thread should stay on topic about what is allowed at Walt Disney World restaurants.

Wow. Forgive my ignorance, but how do they even get proper nutrition with such a limited diet? And I don't mean that as an indictment of your parenting. I just can't fathom such a limited list.

My brother is on the spectrum and while his food isn't as limited as the OP's children, the food he is willing to eat is limited. Thankfully he likes vegetables but no fruit. He eats no sweets (by choice) He gets his blood tested 2 times a year and all his levels are perfect. :woohoo: The doctors don't really understand this either but his body is getting enough of everything he needs.

For the OP - Your other option would be to try and contact Special Diets and talk to them about this. They might be able to give the restaurant the heads up and help you would on something for your children. I have to contact Special Diets because I have more than 4 allergies and they're wonderful.

I would contact special diets. Let them know your needs. It is entirely possible that they can have a chicken nugget meal available that night for you. Even at upscale restaurants. My cousin at age 7 y/o had gotten sick from the heat in the park and she wouldn't eat at dinner at ohana's. The waitress asked what she would eat, and she wanted cold chicken noodle soup(don't ask me she's weird). We all laughed, but sure enough, guess what she got. Chicken noodle soup and a cup of ice. I have no know idea where it came from, but they did it. It was not on the menu either.

OP, never let anyone make you feel bad. Special Kids have Extra Special Parents standing behind them. Bring them to WDW and have fun. And take them to a restaurant you want to eat at once or twice. They may be able to sprinkle a little pixie dust your way and the kids can eat too. Call (407) 939-3463 and explain your situation. Good luck and have a great trip.:goodvibes

I hope you have a wonderful trip and are able to eat where you want. That is part of the fun for my DH and me, so I completely understand that you want to try some new places.

After reading your child's list of acceptable foods and the other PP's, I am going to try and stop complaining about what my DD will eat. I guess I don't have it so bad after all. Bless you both!:grouphug:

I've NEVER been told there was a health code issue with this, at any Disney restaurant or anywhere else.

My apologies - my old brain was only remembering half of the story. We weren't allowed to touch/heat/or otherwise handle outside food (doing so made the restaurant liable for foodborne illness), so no heating, etc.. I believe that allowing outside food that is not touched or served by restaurant staff is up to the discretion of the restaurant. I would hope that Disney, of all places, is more accommodating than most.

My DS has ASD and is very picky as well, however, like you, I like to try new places and have an enjoyable dining experience. I'm lucky that my DS will eat bread and salad and other raw vegetables, plus a few bites of grilled chicken, so I'm usually able to piece something resembling a meal for him at most restaurants (except BOG!).

I second other PP's suggestion to call special services and see if they can help you. Sanaa might be tricky, but Cali Grill may be able to put a cheese and grape plate together for you!

My other suggestion - please consider tipping your server what you would have tipped if your children actually had ordered a meal. Although I understand your children's special food needs, they will be taking up two seats that otherwise would be occupied by paying customers.

Another vote for bringing in foods/snacks that they will eat. We do this with our son. And I know for a fact he won't eat anything offered at Be Our Guest. But the rest of us are eating there, so I'll pack something in my purse that he will eat.

For what it's worth, our son's occupational therapist suggested a couple books to read and try. "Food Chaining" and "Just Take A Bite" were of some help to us. We were at least successful in transitioning him from chicken nuggets to chicken strips, and eventually even fish sticks.

Have fun!!

I know how hard it can be, my DD has SPD and has some autistic behaviors. Not enough to be on the spectrum tho. She is very picky also, textures etc. I also have a special little boy in our life who is autistic and he has certain things he will eat and thats it!

For quick service, we have gotten chicken nugget kids meal to go and brought it to the QS we wanted to eat. For example the Flame grill place at AK. She wont eat any of that! So DH will go get hers while I order ours.

My DD also has a peanut allergy, so it makes it even harder!

Disney is so great tho, and I would hope the chef would try to make them something. Boma chef made her chicken strips one time, since the ones on the bar were not in a dedicated fryer.

When my DD was 4, we went on a Carnival Cruise. She wouldnt eat hardly anything, the only thing she would eat was chicken strips and she couldnt have them before of her allergy. She lost weight that trip.

They will not be allowed to sit with you without paying at:

Any buffet, family-style all you can eat restaurant, fixed price restaurant (Akershus or CRT) or dinner show.

Everyone gets charged at these meals, whether they eat or not. This includes all character meals. You have free DDP so if you want any of these meals it may be worth it to you to spend the credits for them even though they will eat nothing.

You will also not be allowed to bring outside food into these restaurants. There was a thread where someone asked if they could bring Sunshine Seasons food into Garden Grill and were told "no." You may be able to bring in some small snacks and grapes, that kind of thing, but not full meals from other restaurants.

I was going to mention something about Garden Grill too. Last time we were there, my daughter was asleep in a stroller upon arrival. She stayed asleep in the booth the whole meal. We asked if they would not charge for her and they they said no. We were given a take-out container, which we were able to make up a meal of what was left of our platters to take for her to eat once she woke up!!!

They gave you a break. Have seen similar stories of guests who were given a break, but only for children who slept throughout the entire meal, and that is not always the case. There are other reports from those who have been charged at buffet/family style/fixed price restaurants for a sleeping child. There was a recent poster who was charged at 'Ohana for one sleeping child and one child who was awake but ate nothing. There even are examples of such restaurants charging persons who are physically incapable of eating.

So you got lucky, but I don't think everyone should count on being given a break like that. It's not the general policy to exempt anyone. And you really got a break being allowed to do take-out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter