kids not being taught how to write in cursive at schools, anymore?

Big Cuddly Bear

DIS Veteran
I was reading this last week online somewhere, and it said many schools have given up teaching kids how to write in cursive. The reasoning, according to the story is that it will not be a necessary skill in the future as everything will be done on keyboards.

I can't begin to tell you how sad this makes me. We have already lost the art of communication in "real" letters because it is easier just to email or text someone... but what a real shame it will be when our kids CAN'T write a letter because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW. :sad2:

Have any of you had this happen to your kids, yet?

I was reading this last week online somewhere, and it said many schools have given up teaching kids how to write in cursive. The reasoning, according to the story is that it will not be a necessary skill in the future as everything will be done on keyboards.

I can't begin to tell you how sad this makes me. We have already lost the art of communication in "real" letters because it is easier just to email or text someone... but what a real shame it will be when our kids CAN'T write a letter because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW. :sad2:

Have any of you had this happen to your kids, yet?

So they don't plan on teaching kids how to print anymore either?

My kids have to learn cursive and I've seen the tears to prove it :lmao:Then again we are a 'blue ribbon' school and one of the few that teaches it. I'm in NY. :)

There is no law that says letters have to be in cursive and no one under the age of 30 writes real letters any more anyway which is why they no longer teach cursive. Our kids learned cursive but haven't had a teacher yet that requires them to use it so none of them do. It really isn't a big deal. I would rather they spent the time they had learning cursive in the computer lab (and they did have a computer lab class, just more time) because that is far more valuable today.

In our school district the 3rd grade teachers are able to decide if they want to teach it or not. It is not required. So if you want your child to learn it then you need to request a teacher who teaches it. I suppose you could teach it to them yourself.

Okay what is a blue ribbon school? My kids go to a public school. They learn cursive in 3rd grade but don't have to pass any tests on it or anything. The Occupational therapist or assistant do come in to the room to help teach cursive.

I don't see the issue with eliminating cursive writing.

Life skills evolve over time and I think cursive writing is one of those skills that will become obsolete.

So they don't plan on teaching kids how to print anymore either?

From the look sof it at my friends kids school, no they dont. What I mean is that his writing is terrible and has never learned how to properly make the letters. I have taught him some but it doesnt seem like they teach it like when I was in school (im 29 so it wasnt that long ago).

I remember a writing grade on my report card and having to print (and cursive) on those tablets with lines over and over and over.

Okay what is a blue ribbon school? My kids go to a public school. They learn cursive in 3rd grade but don't have to pass any tests on it or anything. The Occupational therapist or assistant do come in to the room to help teach cursive.

A Blue Ribbon school is on that has earned recognition nationally as being a school of excellence. Our schools here, elementary, middle and high school are all blue Ribbon schools and they can put that on their stationary and have signs around the school stating such.

DD11 was at a private Montessori school through 5th grade. She can definitely write in cursive and her handwriting in it is beautiful. Her printing is atrocious. I'm OK with that, but her teachers now in public school are complaining that she writes her assignments in cursive and they have trouble reading them. :confused3

They teach it for about half an hour in third grade now in our district. I was shocked.

I went to a catholic school with nuns who were obsessed with The Palmer Method. We spent untold hours for several years practicing handwriting.

However, my two kids have beautiful handwriting and mine is largely illegible, even to me. So I think there's something to not wasting a lot of time on it.

I never liked writing in cursive and have always printed even though I know cursive. Most of the people that I know are the same or they use a mix of printing and cursive, and we are all old enough that we learned it in school.

Our schools do still teach cursive. My older son (sophomore in college) and daughter (senior in high school) much prefer to print. My younger son (6th grade) has two classes this year that are going to require cursive. I foresee many tears and a drop in the quality of his written work, but I am supporting the teachers at this point in time. He learned cursive in third grade (frustration and tears) and was required to use it in fourth grade (more frustration and tears). He printed all through 5th grade.

You can still write a "real letter" on the computer or by hand in print. I think that the ideas are much more important than the method of writing (as long as it's legible).

My older boys were taught cursive, my 3rd grade daughter is not. Look how quickly it was phased out here.

I did have to laugh because I was doing paperwork for a new teen employee at work, and his dad said they had to teach him to SIGN his name because he hadn't been taught cursive and had no idea how to do a signature!!!

My older boys were taught cursive, my 3rd grade daughter is not. Look how quickly it was phased out here.

I did have to laugh because I was doing paperwork for a new teen employee at work, and his dad said they had to teach him to SIGN his name because he hadn't been taught cursive and had no idea how to do a signature!!!

DD17 had to sign the SATs (or was it the ACTs) and some of her classmates had no idea how to sign their own names.

DS8 is learning now. When they come back from Christmas holidays all writing will be done in cursive.

As for writing letters, I sent stamped envelopes to school and a list of addresses for family and friends last week. They are practicing their "friendly" letter writing skills .

I see his grades dropping a bit when required cursive starts up, his handwriting has improved a great deal this year, but we have a long way to go !

DD17 had to sign the SATs (or was it the ACTs) and some of her classmates had no idea how to sign their own names.

Now that you mention that...there is a section on the SATs that needs to be copied in cursive stating that the student is the one supposed to be taking the test and is not cheating (or something like that). My older two hated having to write that much in cursive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter