Kid's menu for a 13 yo

LauraLea

DIS Veteran
Will Disney restaurants allow a picky 13 yo girl to order from the kid's menu? She would much prefer those items to regular entrees.

Esp if we were on the DDP, I would think they should be OK with it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA..........Laura

Yep, no problem. My dd, now 13, has been choosing off the kid's menu since she was 'legally' able to!!! If she couldn't get the kids stuff, she would starve in WDW!!!!
So, as long as you are paying the adult price for the DDP for her, there is no problem.

This might not be a problem for your daughter but the child menu portions are fairly small. My DS9 had trouble getting enough to eat from the child's menu offerings and regularly ate some of our appetizers or dessert to satisfy his appetite. He is a competitive swimmer and so requires a lot of calories but I wonder if his calorie needs might be similar to a 13y/o? I think they have scaled back entree size since the inception of the DDP.

If your daughter does not eat a lot, it should be fine.

My dd is now 14 and she was able to order off the kids menu any time she asked.

Generally, Disney's been very lenient about this. Worst case scenario, they'd charge an adult price for a larger portion of a child meal.

I was just there with the same kind of child. With Table Service, no problem. They'll even fix you any simple thing, such as plain pasta, or plain rice, not on the menu. Very flexible. However, with counter service, you may have a problem on the DDP. My child, an adult on the DDP, wanted to order a child's meal at one place (Tusker House) and was refused. She was told she must order off the adult menu and could not use her adult credit for a child's meal.

Which is strange, because that's actually not one of the rules of the Dining Plan. The rule is that you cannot use a child credit for an adult meal. :confused:

Which is strange, because that's actually not one of the rules of the Dining Plan. The rule is that you cannot use a child credit for an adult meal. :confused:

Perhaps with the new rule going into effect Jan 1, CS places are trying to match number of child/adult meals sold/given out with the number of child/adult CS credits being used. If what Buffalo girl said is true, and CM will be audited, then it makes sense that they'd want their child/adult ratio to match what was given out in a day. Just an idea.

Yeah, that reminds of something some big-time retailer (maybe R. H. Macy?) once said: If the cash register is short, you've cost me money; If the cash register is rich, you've cost me a customer. Or something like that.

:confused3

What new rule is coming out Jan 1 NMW??? We have been to disney before but this time on the dining plan and I haven't heard about this new rule?
Could you elaborate on this or is this just a rumour going on?:confused3

Here's the information was provided (including a link to the posting):
What we are being told are these things....
Will they actually enforce each item? I'm not sure. Will they tweak it before the 1st? Possibly. This is just what I've been told by my supervisors.

Beginning January 1st, all credits will be separated into adult vs child.
At any given meal period (Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner) you will only be able to use the entitlements on your card (if it says 2A2C, then you get two adult and two kid's meals). I'm not sure how they are going to completely enforce that one, but it's to ensure that no one is giving away their entitlements. I'm confident that the first portion will be strictly enforced since we are being told that we will be disciplined if we override it in any way. I'm not as confident about the enforcability of the second item.... unless they will actually block out your credits for the rest of a set meal period after you order and I can't see that happening. You will not be allowed to buy dinners for a neighboring table because you have credits left. You will not be allowed to use your extra credits to by Aunt Susie and Uncle Jack from Tampa dinner at a TS restaurant.

Basically they don't want you giving away credits and they don't want you to use kids credits for adults. Yes, you pay for your credits, but it's based on a 60% discount of what Disney estimates your actual meals would be at menu price (including gratuity, which Disney still pays the servers) You get that as part of a package and package entitlements are non-transferrable. Just like you can't give extra days off of your ticket to your sister. You got them at a huge discount and you can't give them away.

;)

Thanks bicker sounds normal to me. I know some people are saving there kids credits for other meals (I don't want to start a fight). But before deciding on the DP I figured it out and with the 5 of us we will be saving alot for our trip with the plan. Especially with HDDR. That alone will be costing us 250.00 US My kids will eat alot and this will also help us.Thanks alot for the explanation.

I have no problem whatsoever with Disney starting to 'track' adult credits vs children's credits...and being able to keep them separate. But, if someone pays for an adult DDP, yet wants to order a childrens meal with it, then Disney wins, wouldn't you think? My child, dd at 13, has paid $38 per day for her meals, yet has actually purchased a TS children's meal, and a counter service childrens meal...coming to about $13 for her food costs that day. Disney has made a handy dandy profit there I would think.
But, if I buy 2 adult meal plans and then 3 childrens meal plans yet save those 'kids' credits up to use on adult meals, while I order oop for my kids meals, then yes, I can see where Disney is having an issue and would want to track it. At this point in time though, Disney has not made it an 'offense' to do this. I believe people are still doing it. But, Disney will stop it, the same as when they closed up that nasty old AP loophole where you could buy a child's AP but still book a room with it in order to get the discount...even though you have to be 18 to book a room...go figure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter