• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids menu choices - anything but mac & cheese or chicken strips!

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
I'm browsing menus as our 60+ ADR date is coming up in a week. It feels like my kids are going to be eating mac & cheese or chicken strips the entire trip.... and neither of them like chicken strips. What are some restaurants the offer kids something different than just mac & cheese, chicken strips & the odd burger here and there? QS or TS.

What parks are you going to? Can they split an adult meal, particularly at a quick service place?

Pecos Bills-Meat/Rice Bowls, Tacos
Pinocchio Villiage Haus-Pasta options, flatbreads
Columbia Harbor House-Salmon, Shrimp

There are many places that offer more than chicken nuggets and Mac n cheese…

Skipper’s Canteen
Egg roll cart
Liberty Tree Tavern
The Plaza
Casey’s
Be Our Guest
Cosmic Ray’s

That’s just some of the places in MK. There are more. Check out the menus and choose where you think your kids would like to eat. Every park and resort has options for kids that are not nuggets and Mac n cheese

Some of them offer steak, fish, and seafood. Skipper Canteen, Coral Reef, Chefs de France, Hollywood Brown Derby, Jaleo, Cinderella's Royal Table, Le Cellier, Nine Dragons, Sanaa, Tiffins, and Liberty Tree/Golden Horsheshoe have a little more variety. The buffets and family style are good, because the kids can get the adult items at the kid's price. Many of them have pizza or pasta too, ie Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, Mama Melrose. Japan and Mexico have more variety as well. What restaurants are you considering?

I'm browsing menus as our 60+ ADR date is coming up in a week. It feels like my kids are going to be eating mac & cheese or chicken strips the entire trip.... and neither of them like chicken strips. What are some restaurants the offer kids something different than just mac & cheese, chicken strips & the odd burger here and there? QS or TS.
Funny I have a picky 11 year old grand daughter who pretty much only eats nuggets so I look up for those places.
Satuli at Animal Kingdom has kids quesadilla.

Funny I have a picky 11 year old grand daughter who pretty much only eats nuggets so I look up for those places.
Satuli at Animal Kingdom has kids quesadilla.
Our son is terribly picky. He pretty much only eats steak, chicken nuggets, and quesadillas at Disney. He won't even eat the mac n cheese. That's why I know the menus pretty well.

Our son is terribly picky. He pretty much only eats steak, chicken nuggets, and quesadillas at Disney. He won't even eat the mac n cheese. That's why I know the menus pretty well.
Mine won't eat mac and cheese or steak, but will eat pizza. Other grand daughter has food allergies. Fun times planning meals at Disney!

Planning meals for Disney has always been by far my least favorite thing to do! We end up at a quick service place every time because I've never been able to successfully get reservations anywhere we want. Hoping if I keep refreshing I can come across something decent this time around!

That's my big complaint about kids meals at QS, since I'm an adult with a very small appetite who would order kids meals at QS if there was more variety. The one big exception I can remember is at Sat'uli Canteen, where they have the single cheeseburger pod and some child size bowls. It seems there's a child's chicken drumstick teriyaki in Epcot at either Katsuri Grill or the China QS (I forget which). But yes, unfortunately it's mostly chicken strips, pizza, or mac and cheese.

So I am going back a few years as no longer a child. QS Colombia Harbor house, Harambe Market, Flame tree, as above Sauti any place in EPCOT that is not Disney owned, any resort, anyplace in DS and many others (we never eat HS but all in the star wars area now are the only ones I can say for certain). TS can not recall one that does not have decent options but one the favorites was Whispering Canyon as they have Salmon. I can recall a burger being ordered once at Pecos Bill and a refusal to eat it.... Chicken strips maybe once a trip mostly never. That is going at least once a year since 3 months old. Cruises my son would order a different fish every night. Now that he is in his mid-late teens he has become expensive to take out. For the record we never told him what to order it was his choice. Problem started when he was 3 ordered the Shrimp at Raglin road ate the Shrimp left the fries and asked for more shrimp.... But as I mentioned we never had an issue finding what he would eat he would go hungry rather than eat a Disney burger or pizza and he will not touch PBJ Chicken strips we could get away with maybe once a trip.

OP - I think it would help the discussion if you let us know what your dining plans are. Are you looking to just do QS or are you wanting to make ADRs also? With that information, people would be able to give more targeted advice about places you should dine.

I had huge problems in November booking table service because we have foodie adults, one child that wants real food and two that are picky. The most successful place overall was Brown Derby; the favorite of adults was Skipper Canteen. I will say my son loved the Mac n cheese at the Canteen but my other two who got chicken strips were mad because it was “fancy” chicken.

OP - I think it would help the discussion if you let us know what your dining plans are. Are you looking to just do QS or are you wanting to make ADRs also? With that information, people would be able to give more targeted advice about places you should dine.
We'll be doing both QS and ADRs. I'm finding QS harder to find variety though. :/

We like the family style and buffet places for this reason. My daughter can try something new or just eat the more adult foods that she already likes.

Otherwise her whole week would be mac and cheese since she isn't a fan of chicken strips.

I'm not sure what menus you were looking at when you only saw chicken fingers and mac and cheese on the kids menus for Quick Service. I just quickly went through the QS restaurants in MK and Epcot and found tons of other choices. Sorry, I don't have time to do the other parks.

Magic Kingdom
Columbia Harbor House - Shrimp and Salmon
Casey's Corner - no separate kids menu, but have hot dogs
Cosmic Rays - PB&J
Pinocchio Village Haus - Turkey Sandwich, Pepperoni or Cheese Flatbread, PB&J, 2 kinds of Pasta
Pecos Bills - Several Rice bowls, Tacos

Epcot
Regal Eagle - Chicken Leg, BBQ Rib, Chicken Salad, Cheeseburger
Lotus Blossom Café - Sweet/Sour Chicken, Pot Stickers, Spring Rolls
Katusra Grill - Teriyaki Chicken, Chicken & Shrimp Teriyaki, Beef & Shrimp Teriyaki
La Cantina de San Angel - Empanadas con Queso, Chicken Tacos,
Sunshine Seasons - Chicken Drumstick, Pepperoni or Cheese Flatbread

We'll be doing both QS and ADRs. I'm finding QS harder to find variety though. :/
QS are a bit harder. @DisneyHardin posted some great options.

Animal Kingdom:
Satu'li
Pizzafari (the food isn't very good though)
Yak & Yeti Local Foods (QS)

Hollywood Studios:
ABC Commissary
Catalina Eddie's
Docking Bay 7
PizzeRizzo
Woody's Lunch Box

As an adult who gets kids meals, I can recommend the steak dinner at Steakhouse 71. Also, the Turkey sandwich at Woody’s Lunchbox.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter